PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Overlockers - advice please!

Options

Comments

• Mariel
    Mariel Posts: 624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bought the Aldi one, it is brilliant. I think it was £100. It is the first one I have owned so I can't really compare it but for the price it is great and has made such a difference to the stuff I make. It is so simple to thread as well and the instructions are good.
  • Mother_Hub
    Mother_Hub Posts: 335 Forumite
    Options
    Having been an overlocker and not an overclocker many moons ago, I know you can sew a whole garment with one. I have only used an industrial overlocking machine so I could not recommend one.
    World of Warcraft Widow No 1
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    Zed42 wrote: »
    I have an Elna 744, which is a 4 thread.

I bought this a couple of years ago, and advice that I was given then, was try out the model you want. Do not buy without trying one.

Good luck with your hunt :)

I have found one I like but there is only the demonstaration model left. It will have a good discount and the same guarantee as new one. Should I go for it or should I stay away from ex demonstration models?
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • csarina
    csarina Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    Options
    There should not be a problem with a demo model, they have usually been well cared for and run in so any little glitches will have been ironed out. I have bought demo models in the past and never had a problem with them.
    Was 13st 8 lbs,Now 12st 11 Lost 10 1/4lbs since I started on my diet.
  • looby-loo_2
    looby-loo_2 Posts: 1,566 Forumite
    Options
    overclocker! I once watched a demo by a lady who made M&S fully fashioned lambswool jumpers on piecework. Hard to remember but I think each jumper took her about 2 minutes from start to finish to complete

Bernina gets my vote.
    Doing voluntary work overseas for as long as it takes .......
    My DD might make the odd post for me
  • Mrs_Flittersnoop
    Options
    Rikki wrote: »
    I have found one I like but there is only the demonstaration model left. It will have a good discount and the same guarantee as new one. Should I go for it or should I stay away from ex demonstration models?

Rikki, if you like the machine and are comfortable with the threading/use etc then why not go for it, I doubt it's been used that much in demonstrations and if it's a good price then it will be a bargain, these things are expensive. good luck!

Realised I should not have jumped the gun and said you couldn't sew a whole garment with an overlocker :rotfl: , well, yes you can, very simple garments etc, but my sewing machine also puts in zips, makes buttonholes and sews on buttons as well as makes fancy stitches and would even embroider my name if I wanted it to. My overlocker (which admittedly is not an industrial one, so I have no idea what they can do) can't do any of these things. I still use it almost every time I make something though, and I love the rolled hem facility, that's a beautiful stitch.

Mrs F xx
  • Rikki
    Options
    Whats the best way of finding a class in your area?
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Mrs_Flittersnoop
    Options
    Rikki wrote: »
    Whats the best way of finding a class in your area?

Does the shop selling the machine not give lessons? If not, try Googling the name of your machine and try and find the main UK dealer and ask them if they run classes in your area.

Hope this helps
    Mrs F x
  • Rikki
    Options
    Does the shop selling the machine not give lessons? If not, try Googling the name of your machine and try and find the main UK dealer and ask them if they run classes in your area.

Hope this helps
    Mrs F x

The shop is only a small affair and they will go through the basics. I am looking for classes which will show me how to get the most from it.
    I pick it up next weekend and I will google for lessons.

NPFM 21
  • Mrs_Flittersnoop
    Options
    ooh good luck then Rikki! I hope you enjoy your new baby.

Mrs F xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport