PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Are we getting short changed.....

Comments

• Addiscomber
    Addiscomber Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This has gone on for years. When I was in my 20s Mars bars were too big for me to eat in one sitting. I haven't had one for years as my sweet tooth has lessened, but even then I managed to finish it in one go. I haven't even noticed one in the newsagents recently. Are they now so small that they are invisible?

The same reduction in number per pack occurred with Tampax a long time ago. Economy packs used to hold 40, but overnight it reduced to 32. The price did drop a little, but before long it was back to the old price.
  • Mics_chick
    Mics_chick Posts: 12,014 Forumite
    Not sure about this but I thought that the largest size packet of Persil non-bio tablets used to contain 48 tablets and now its 40 but the price is pretty much the same.

(Not cheapest way to buy washing powder I know but cheaper for me because I always used to put way to much powder in!)
    You should never call somebody else a nerd or geek because everybody (even YOU !!!) is an
    "anorak" about something whether it's trains, computers, football, shoes or celebs :p :rotfl:
  • AnniMag
    AnniMag Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Went into Aldi today and plain flour was in a 1kg bag.The SR flour was still in a 1.5 kg bag and only about 5p more.
  • Its not just stuff in packaging that you have to watch out for... Went into Tesco for some steak mince at the meat counter and what greeted my eyes was a mix of 60% fat and 40% meat , you know the stuff looks pale pink not red..... so when the guy behind the counter asks can i help you madam i say no way i am not buying half a kilo of beef fat .... and walked out... Its a pity you cant get them for Trades Discription, they should have a legal amount of % in meat in un packaged goods as well.
  • needaspirin
    needaspirin Posts: 1,208 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    Chipps wrote:
    I don't buy crisps any more. Someone gave me a packet, & I noticed that you get a packet puffed up with air with about 5 crisps in.
    I agree!!!
    Anyone know how to make your own crisps? When I try I end up with a mixture of dark brown burned and soft half cooked bits. I'm a good cook but crisps have me beat:o
  • needaspirin
    needaspirin Posts: 1,208 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    Thanks Kittie! I'll give it a try. :T
  • I had noticed there were less Pringles in the tub, and as they slop about more, you get more broken ones.
    To make "healthy" crisps I thinly slice potatoes, [don't wash them] and sprinkle them with herbs / 5 spice powder / finely grated hard cheese, or whatever you fancy. Spread them out on a plastic rack or one of those microwave bacon dishes. Bake in the microwave. You will have to experiment here for time as it depends on the power of the microwave. You get an awful lot of crisps from 1 potato. No oil or fat so better for you. Store in an airtight tub ... not that there are often many left over.
  • anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    The same reduction in number per pack occurred with Tampax a long time ago. Economy packs used to hold 40, but overnight it reduced to 32. The price did drop a little, but before long it was back to the old price.
    I noticed this with feminine towels, there used to be 20 in a pack now there's only 14 or 16 depending on size, but they're the same price.
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • Addiscomber
    Addiscomber Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I find it really odd that the manufacturers clearly think that we don't notice. I would prefer some honesty and a simple, small price rise. I bet all this shennanigins hides more than an increase in costs and actually increases their profits. I am not totally anti profit, but I don't like thinking that I am being taken for a mug.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure