Is it wrong to want it all? Ramblings and other stuff

Options

Comments

• LittleBit_2
    LittleBit_2 Posts: 533 Forumite
    Options
    Nitha wrote: »
    Why does your hubby need a bike? The current economic climate plus your desire to become an SAHM mean that any form of additional debt could be dangerous :)

The reason is that we've just swapped our 2 cars for a family car. It's much bigger, a lot better for fuel economy, and has plenty room for 2 car seats, a double pram, and the dog in the boot (German Shepherd).

We had the plan that we would get a family car so I could have it while I'm on maternity leave, and if I don't go back to work I would keep it all the time, and then hubby would ride a bike to and from work. It's a round trip of about 25 miles a day, and he could go on the road rather than dual carriage ways or motor ways.
    Mummy to 3 fabulous boys all under 4 :eek:
  • LittleBit_2
    edited 9 August 2009 at 1:54PM
    Options
    Nitha wrote: »
    So glad to hear you aren't using the HIP for a game. It's really for food and vits for your unborn baby (ie you!). Even if you don't need it for food buy a good breast pump with it (my BP saved me a fortune in formula when I couldn't get the hang of b/feeding naturally). £1500, we'll hopefully have about 3k when baby arrives

You say your house is chintzy at the mo - have you thought about going 'shabby chic'? Would save a fortune on 'doing up' the place.

I'm in similar circumstances - looking to clear down overdrafts to become a full-time mummy (although I'm still TTC the second!))

Yeah you're right about the HIP grant, we've put it in the baby savings fund which currently stands at £1500, hopefully we'll have 3k when baby comes

On the shabby chic front, I love that look and I think it would work really well in our house. However at the moment we seem to be spending the majority of our money on plastering and other things.

Do you have a diary?? I'd love to have a read and see how you're managing to clear the overdraft, as it sounds very similar to what we're trying to do. Also, it's better to start doing it now while you're still TTC rather than having a panic once you're pregnant
  • LittleBit_2
    Options
    mum2one wrote: »

Please bear with me while I play devils advocate.
    Sorry - cant remember how far gone you are, and how the work situation is, but what would happen if you had to go on maternity leave early,
    Is the bonus guarenteed?

I only ask those questions, just that before I found out I was pregnant with dd and it wasnt a kidney infection (how they got the diagnosis i dont know), I ended up going off work sick at 7 weeks gone, and didnt /basically couldn't go back.
    Ok, this was back in 2002, but my income dropped from 1k a month take home to £300 pm......the debts rolled + rolled, robbing Peter to pay Paul, using credit cards. then when I had the chance to clear my debt in 2005, (I sued my ex employer for unfair constructive dismissal - took an out of court settlement), I could of been debt free, but I only cleared a loan, gave my parents some money I owed them, (4k gone) the other 4k I blew on holidays..... ok I have the memories, but still a millstone.

I'm nearly 29 weeks, so shouldn't really have to go on maternity leave early. If I did, my work would pay me full sick pay before making me start my maternity leave at 36 weeks, so that's only about a week before I was planning to start it anyway.
  • LittleBit_2
    Options
    mum2one wrote: »
    What would the bike be used for, is that to cut down the car journeys, or for you to have the car and hubby have the bike.

Maybe when you put up the SOA, there may be additional ways of cutting back on certain things or cashback sites when you make certain purchases, and use those methods towards the bike, and maybe start a bike fund?
    xx

Yep it's so hubby can run the bike to and from work whilst I'm at home with the kids.

I will have a crack at the SOA now so peeps can have a look. The thing is every month we look as though we can save loads, but then every month something comes up that needs paying for :eek:
  • LittleBit_2
    Options
    Also - I forgot to post that I was woken up in the middle of the night on Thursday, with water coming in the bedroom ceiling, so we've called the insurance company who will be getting in touch with us. Hopefully it should be covered, but we'll still have to pay a £100 excess, and then it will also affect our renewal quote which we'd got a good deal on. It's typical, the renewal was due to start in 2 weeks :mad:
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Dont faint with shock, but I actually agree with the bike idea.

At least ur firm sounds solid re pay etc.

Sorry to hear about the ceiling, hope you get it sorted ok. Looking positively, with ur insurance renewal, even thou you have the claim in, your in a position to shop around.

I'm guessing ur money is going to be changeing over the next few months, maybe re the SOA, do the expenses rough idea how ur going, and the minimum you need.

Ur going great guns with the money saved for the baby.xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • LittleBit_2
    Options
    Well I was just going to try and post a SOA when I realised I don't know where to start!! Does anyone have a link to where I can fill in my details?

Thanks
  • LittleBit_2
    Options
    Oh yeah, I also bought DS his birthday pressie the other day. One of those trampolines with a net reduced to £25 :-)
  • MissOptimistic
    Options
    Really enjoying reading your diary littlebit - sounds like you are very sensible and think things through before you act. Keep posting!
    Emergency Savings Fund - £1100
    2015 Mortgage overpayments = £
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    http://www.makesenseofcards.com/soacalc.html

Hi, this is the main SOA that is used, by the debt-free wanabees, it covers all aspects of the incomings and outgoings.

xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family