MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Angela give the old lady extra time to pay?

MSE_Jenny
MSE_Jenny Posts: 1,312 MSE Staff
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 25 August 2009 at 9:00PM in MoneySaving polls
Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
Should Angela give the old lady extra time to pay?

Angela has been working in a bank for five years. Her boss says she’s too lenient with customers in debt, and if she doesn’t toughen up, she'll be first in line for the next lay-offs. She then gets a visit from a sweet elderly lady, who’s just come out of hospital and has fallen behind on her mortgage repayments. If Angela doesn’t give extra time to pay, the lady’s home will be repossessed, but Angela knows her boss is watching.
Should Angela give the old lady extra time to pay?
Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• After seeing "Drag me to Hell" - i'd see if she has any scary powers :-)

Sorry, couldn't resist
    [STRIKE]New here ... but here goes[/STRIKE] Still working patiently

Total debt 02/08 [STRIKE]£28,173.62[/STRIKE] :confused: 06/08 [STRIKE]£23,845.64[/STRIKE] 10/08 [STRIKE]£22,727.72[/STRIKE] 02/09 [STRIKE]£20,083.56[/STRIKE] 04/09 £[STRIKE]18,499.37[/STRIKE] 09/10 £7878 :beer:

DFD [STRIKE]December[/STRIKE] February 2011
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    After seeing "Drag me to Hell" - i'd see if she has any scary powers :-)

Sorry, couldn't resist

you beat me to it :mad::mad: was about to sya that :rotfl::rotfl:
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • LOL - it was genuinely hard to resist.
    [STRIKE]New here ... but here goes[/STRIKE] Still working patiently

Total debt 02/08 [STRIKE]£28,173.62[/STRIKE] :confused: 06/08 [STRIKE]£23,845.64[/STRIKE] 10/08 [STRIKE]£22,727.72[/STRIKE] 02/09 [STRIKE]£20,083.56[/STRIKE] 04/09 £[STRIKE]18,499.37[/STRIKE] 09/10 £7878 :beer:

DFD [STRIKE]December[/STRIKE] February 2011
  • s9904055
    s9904055 Posts: 19 Forumite
    I was about to say that three!!!
  • N.I.M
    N.I.M Posts: 2,248 Forumite
    If the boss left her go for that then its off to the E.A.T (Employment Appeals Tribunal) to teach the boss a lesson. If its a case of a couple of weeks you;d have to give her the time off. Plus NO bank wants to repo a house in this climate, they'll never be rid of it. So its a dead asset to the bank and if they can bring in the payments, albiet a little delayed then I cannot see an issue with giving her the extra time.
    This was 6 months out of date so I've changed it.
    :j:j:j:j
  • Presumably Angela has the authority to make this decision. If not then she should ask the old lady to speak to someone who has.
    If so then she should remind her boss that her job involves making this kind of decision and that in this case there are extenuating circumstances, and ask him what he would do. If he feels the lady should lose her home through what is in effect no fault of her own, then Angela should being looking for work elsewhere immediately. I certainly would not want to work for a boss like that. What if this old lady was his mother?
    Try saying "I have under-a-pound in my wallet" and listen to people react!
  • Yes she should allow this. Giving a set time limit, say 28 days to submit a financial statement supporting her position and signposting her to CAB / CCCS etc for help with this and a benefit check...
    Shows reasonableness without ultimately compromising bank's position.
  • I agree with the last 3 posters. :)
  • I think she should put all the facts to her boss, and explain that she would recommend allowing more time. Say that she's aware of the position she's in, regarding being "too lenient"...........then ask the boss what he would do under these extenuating circumstances (making sure that I fully explain the circumstances). I think that he would come to the same conclusion. If he didn't, I would discuss the matter further with other staff, to get a concensus of opinion. If they all agreed to being lenient, then maybe take the matter to my bosses boss for his/her opinion. Under no circumstances would I risk my job.
  • On a personal level of course I'd give her time to pay but if my job is on the line then no, as tough as it is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure