iPhone won’t play music in car anymore.

Comments

• ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    almillar wrote: »
    When you say you can't hear music, but can hear sat nav - is this a sat nav app on the phone? That's really mad. It tells us everything is physically working properly, and we're down to software.
    Instead of Spotify or 'Disney Life'(?) can you try just playing a music track? A Youtube video?

Yes, it’s the ‘Maps’ app on the phone.

I’ve tried it with iTunes music as well as a YouTube video and my audiobooks app. They all work work fine in the car.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Good, we're making progress. I don't use an iPhone.
    Have you checked in Maps that you have a guidance voice turned on, and turned up, and also I assume it'll only speak to you when you have a route programmed?
  • thorganby
    thorganby Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    ripplyuk wrote: »
    Yes, it’s the ‘Maps’ app on the phone.

I’ve tried it with iTunes music as well as a YouTube video and my audiobooks app. They all work work fine in the car.

What iOS version are you using?

There have been many releases recently that have broken things that have worked fine for ages e.g.

I know someone whose gmail app appeared to be working fine but it was not actually sending emails and showing no errors.

This was fixed by simply uninstalling and reinstalling the gmail app.

Worth a try as your other apps are working fine.
  • What may be happening , is that if you're using maps or another app on the iPhone this will stop iTunes / music app on the iPhone .
    The only comparison I can think of : as a non driver if I have my music playing through my headphones on my iPhone and the phone rings , the music stops . If I browse you tube while listening to music , again the music stops and you tube is priority . It may sound weird , but it seems that something is cancelling out the music app on your phone .
    Other than that, I haven't a clue :)
  • ripplyuk
    almillar wrote: »
    Good, we're making progress. I don't use an iPhone.
    Have you checked in Maps that you have a guidance voice turned on, and turned up, and also I assume it'll only speak to you when you have a route programmed?

I’m not really sure what you mean. Yes, it speaks when I programme a route. There’s no problem with the maps app. I can hear it fine.
  • ripplyuk
    thorganby wrote: »
    What iOS version are you using?

There have been many releases recently that have broken things that have worked fine for ages e.g.

I know someone whose gmail app appeared to be working fine but it was not actually sending emails and showing no errors.

This was fixed by simply uninstalling and reinstalling the gmail app.

Worth a try as your other apps are working fine.

It’s iOS 13.3

I’ve already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the apps.
  • ripplyuk
    What may be happening , is that if you're using maps or another app on the iPhone this will stop iTunes / music app on the iPhone .
    The only comparison I can think of : as a non driver if I have my music playing through my headphones on my iPhone and the phone rings , the music stops . If I browse you tube while listening to music , again the music stops and you tube is priority . It may sound weird , but it seems that something is cancelling out the music app on your phone .
    Other than that, I haven't a clue :)

I’m not using maps and playing music at the same time. I know the music will cut out for the navigation but I’m not trying to use both together. The Spotify and Disney apps just won’t play through the speakers at all.
  • Mmmm...wonder if the Disney app is similar to now tv and apple , where you can't mirror now tv onto a monitor ?
    As for Spotify , that should work .
    Still, this is a bump for more help ..
  • Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    I think you've ruled out it being anything physical, it's going to be some mad restriction or setting in the particular app that isn't allowing audio through headphones - bonkers!
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    FWIW, I have an ongoing issue with an iPod Touch - I have an iTunes music library which is far larger than the storage of the Touch, so synced selected music to it.

When I go into Music on the Touch, it shows the titles I have supposedly synced, but it has them greyed out, and won't play any, even though it presents a neat, ordered list of artists and albums

I can only suggest that the OP tries to sync his/her music to the iPhone again, perhaps with a different selection of artists and albums, see if that clears the blockage....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure