Charging your 18 year old rent

Options

Comments

• PrettyKittyKat
    Options
    As she's staying at home for uni her loan is likely to be very small, however you can consider what living costs she has out of this which will be substantially lower than if she lived in halls. Does she need to pay her tuition out of her maintenance loan or has she got a tuition loan also?

When I lived at home during uni my Dad didn't charge me any rent and bought all food shopping (although I tended to buy lots myself too). He began charging me rent once i was in full time employment after uni. However, if you are not financially able to do this then it is understandable that you may need to ask for a contribution.

Things to consider
    - will your daughter and bf be buying their own food?
    - what is the amount of maintenance you will no longer be receiving which will be going to your daughter instead? (she has a part time job to pay for her car and associated costs so maybe a proportion of this?)
    - What difference in utilities cost is there from the extra 2 people living in your home?

Of course you don't want to be getting yourself in to debt with the loss of the maintenance and still trying to support your daughter and bf, however equally you don't want to overcharge your daughter and bf which leaves them in the position where they have the work more hours etc and may neglect their uni work. Sadly there is no right or wrong amount as it is dependant on individual circumstances.
  • Thomasmummy
    Options
    Feeling like a mean mother here.....

My daughter is 15 and has a part time job, she has the option to cycle to/from but often asks me to take her, so I charge her fuel money....the point being to teach her that asking mum's taxi is not a free/easy option. I also won't buy her anything she doesn't 'need' so make up, extra shoes, things like that.

When she turns 16 my income will drop by 10% so I have told her that I will be expecting her to contribute by way of rent at that point.

My plan once she's 18, is that she would contribute the going % of her income towards household finances. I think it's utterly pointless not charging children rent when they are of a means to finance themselves. The sooner they learn, the softer blow it is in the real world.....if they choose to go to uni then finances should be a consideration of THEIRS before they decide to go. They have to grow up some time ��
  • annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    You charge your 15 year old daughter fuel money and are going to charge her rent when she is 16? Wow. On part time job earnings. Poor kid
  • happyandcontented
    Options

My daughter is 15 and has a part time job, she has the option to cycle to/from but often asks me to take her, so I charge her fuel money....the point being to teach her that asking mum's taxi is not a free/easy option. I also won't buy her anything she doesn't 'need' so make up, extra shoes, things like that.

When she turns 16 my income will drop by 10% so I have told her that I will be expecting her to contribute by way of rent at that point.

My plan once she's 18, is that she would contribute the going % of her income towards household finances. I think it's utterly pointless not charging children rent when they are of a means to finance themselves. The sooner they learn, the softer blow it is in the real world.....if they choose to go to uni then finances should be a consideration of THEIRS before they decide to go. They have to grow up some time ��

Not a great incentive to work!
  • dawyldthing
    Options
    I think it’s fair, the kid would have to pay the bus to work. If she’s still studying at 16 child benefit would continue. If not then a bit of a contribution is fair
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    I think it’s fair, the kid would have to pay the bus to work. If she’s still studying at 16 child benefit would continue. If not then a bit of a contribution is fair

You have to be in 'training or education' till 18 now.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 September 2018 at 6:11PM
    Options

Why will your income drop when she's 16? You will still be entitled to the same child related benefit top ups whilst she's in Secondary school/FE.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 16 September 2018 at 8:18PM
    Options

I’m shocked anyone agrees with this post. My daughter is 15 and whilst she would like to have a job her priorities are studying for her GCSEs and extra curricular school activities plus the 4 hour homework every night. As for charging fuel money, jeez really?
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Perhaps you need to take a look at your own earnings....
  • Couldsavemore
    Options
    My neighbours charged their son rent. When he went to buy a house, they used this to help him.

As for charging your daughter... are you financial ok without some help?
    Perhaps a token amount of 20 quid each
    # 36 1p challenge 2024 - £397.56

#13 POYD by Christmas 24  £1925/8138… nearly 25%

February Grocery Challenge  /300
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business