PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• wort
    wort Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Kittie is everything in pots? I'm wondering if there are any plants you want to take with you that are in the ground that will need a pot or 2?.
    Also I'm sure your buyer will love having beautiful glazed pots, mine are mostly boring plastic all I could afford, I have a few glazed that were presents, unfortunately these tend to be smaller pots that don't hold a plant for long before its grown out of it.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 March 2018 at 9:15AM
    Options
    wort I dont have any plants in the ground in my back. It is 3+ m high overall and in 4 tiers all different colours textures and layers of gravel and slate. I have 3x 3`tall triangular raised beds on the base, containing beautiful apple trees and spring bedding. One shallow triangle on the second tier, filling a corner and contains alstroemeria, one long narrow raised bed on the third tier containing drought hardy plants. All the rest of the decor is via pots and wooden teak root structures and they give the garden ambience and growing height. It would be a travesty to take the very large pots with trees and teak root items away

I do have the allotment though for any temporary plant holdings.. I remember that I started with one low large rounded salt pot over 20 years ago, I planted a red japanese acer, which still looks beautiful year on year, low and rounded. Then I added more and more over the years. Keeping the similar low large pots is a no brainer but I also love the 2 tiered stands that I have, one holds my herbs, which I am not counting, green plastic pots standing in embossed grey metal pots. My other stand is outside my french doors, plastic troughs holding, at the moment, lavenders and tulips.

The heavy salt pots left me in a quandry, very heavy indeed, even empty. I am not counting :D the dark plastic, mock half barrels containing blueberry plants and bedding. 4 large ones at the front, three large empty ones stored in the back and 3 small ones containing blueberries, destined for the large plastic pots after I have moved. They are very productive and freeze beautifully. All those are identical, dark simulated wood with bronze bands. They look lovely and upside is that they are light without the soil. It is the heavy small pots that concern me, they are hard work to manage in summer and tbh one large pot holds the equivalent of 3 pots
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't have as many pots as you Kittie - but I have heavy clay soil and love rhododendrons and camellias so they are all in pots ....... very large pots, the type nurseries use for trees. I've some azaleas too that were my mother's....in pots. I'm trying to kondo all the smaller ones that have been planted with bulbs. When I've stopped to actually think about it it's surprising just how much I have in various containers, window boxes, wall baskets........:( I feel a big Kondo coming on!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I split up with my partner 16 years ago, and yesterday tackled the last folder of things I had kept for him.

I listed them in an email to him last year - we still kept in contact, maybe once a year, but he hadn't messaged for a while. I then wrote to him and got no reply.

So out went letters to him from his mother and friends, some old school work including some art work and other bits and pieces. There is still a school report from his senior school which has not yet hit the black bag.

It felt as though it was my sentimental things that I was throwing out but I felt I had done enough. When he moved back to his mother's house, 18 months after we split, he fell out with her too and when he refused to move all of his stuff out of her place when he left (he said he had no room for them), she ordered a skip and got rid of everything. He stopped talking to her for years because of that.

I also went through some of my family history items and got rid of a lot of paperwork that duplicated the information I had. I spent the rest of the afternoon on my family history but I'm stuck in one area so need to spend investigate that some more.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Frogletina wrote: »
    It felt as though it was my sentimental things that I was throwing out but I felt I had done enough. When he moved back to his mother's house, 18 months after we split, he fell out with her too and when he refused to move all of his stuff out of her place when he left (he said he had no room for them), she ordered a skip and got rid of everything. He stopped talking to her for years because of that.

I also went through some of my family history items and got rid of a lot of paperwork that duplicated the information I had. I spent the rest of the afternoon on my family history but I'm stuck in one area so need to spend investigate that some more.
    Absolutely, frogletina, you've gone above and beyond in keeping things for so long.

Interesting about the duplication of paperwork that you're now getting rid of - thats next on my list, after the photos. I've already done a lot, but my wheelie suitcase is absolutely full of a stack of papers from my mum's house, that I have to go through.

I'm also kondoing my genealogy files on the computer. They have to be intelligible enough for other people to read: so out go potential links I found 15 years ago, out goes a travel plan for a genealogy trip from 10 years ago (that was cut short because I picked up a bug and spent the entire stay in my hotel bed :( ). I've done about 60% - and already, the files I've done are a lot easier to read. I noticed when I got an overenthusiastic distant relative who sent me *tons* of stuff - it was overwhelming and I just never read it. Don't want the same to happen to my stuff, so I'm careful now :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • WeeMidgie
    WeeMidgie Posts: 469 Forumite
    Options
    silvasava wrote: »
    Weemidge - I'm not a taxpayer but DH is so I put everything in his name - after all some of the donations belonged to him and others he paid for - that's my reasoning!

Hi silvasava, if I was one half of a couple I would do that too. As it is, I'm retired early on health grounds, and have another 19 months to state pension age. Such a relief not to be working, it had become like climbing a small mountain every day and I was exhausted!

Today won't involve any kondoing, however now my knitting and sewing stashes are down to what I will definitely use over time, I'm off to find suitable clear plastic boxes for them. They will live in the storage cupboard in my next home.
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,365 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I didn't get around to go to the charity shop this weekend. I might go later this week.

I have a clock, a black skirt, a cat ornament, a grey jumper, a shirt and some hangers so far in the bag.

I'm going to go to the charity shop this Thursday or Friday.

I realised that the clock had lost it's back thing to keep the battery in so that had to be binned along with a statue that had something broken off.

I'm going to keep the hangers just in case the others break. They are quite useful space saving hangers.

I now have for the chazzer:

A black skirt, a cat ornament, a grey jumper, a purple cardigan, a scarf and two pairs of joggers. I've hardly worn the joggers.

I also got rid of a moisturiser and my last bottle of shower gel. I just use Dr Bronner's, sea salt and essentials oils in the bath and shower now.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well I am shattered, the house is a tip but I am making some progress....:rotfl:

The car is loaded up ready for when I can get to the charity shop with the first lot, probably Thursday.

Slow but sure.....
  • WeeMidgie
    WeeMidgie Posts: 469 Forumite
    Options
    The two plastic boxes I bought this morning, each 60 litres, have swallowed up my knitting and sewing stashes, and have been parked out of the way.

I have two tall Billy bookcases linked by a matching CD tower. All three are now empty. The books had been thinned down to one bookcase full, and today I moved them into two smaller shelving units with doors.

So, ready to leave the house are a desk, small chest of drawers, and the bookcases and CD tower. I'll put them on my local Gumtree. Progress!
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just kondoed a tall vase! I'd stored it in my small bedroom but the cat knocked it over against the wall and knocked a chunk out of it DH offered to repair it but I declined ;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure