Reducing Debt - being accountable and taking responsibility

Options

Comments

• DrSpendLittle
    Options
    Hello Peeps!

What a rubbish effort on the diary updating front from me over the past 5 days :eek:

Excuse: Had a really busy weekend visiting family (again!). All spends were budgeted for, so no movement there. Slush fund is looking a little less flush now.

Having a slush fund has worked really well this month with having spends from travelling around to see family. It's been a relief to know I've a category in YNAB to use. I'm still disappointed with not being able to pay more off debt this month but, at the same time, I'm really happy that I've managed to budget all spending and not add to debt. These sorts of unexpected spends (boiler, dentist, visiting family, clothes) would have always just gone on CCs and become a contributing factor to debt accumulation. And I'd probably have gone a little wild and spent more than needed (on clothes) or fritted money away (on coffees and snacks whilst travelling).

Away for work this week so won't be able to update much on here but I'm not expecting any significant changes in my budget / spending as everything is paid for in advance. Phew.

Have a good debt slaying week ahead!

DSL :j
  • DrSpendLittle
    Options
    Hiya peeps!

Just checking in whilst back from one work visit before heading off on another. Busy week.

Had another Ocado delivery arrive last night. We got given a free 3 month smart pass with our last order (thanks for the heads up Redo!!) so we have free deliveries until mid Feb, which is nice and means we'll probably make online orders fairly regularly. Feel a bit guilty not using my local Waitrose but to be honest, DF and I have seen a marked decline in the range of produce stocked over the past few years and have become a bit disappointed with it. The ready meal aisles have got bigger and fresh produce aisles smaller. Probably due to online shopping!! :p Anyway, we'll mix it up as I couldn't live without a good mooch around the supermarket!

Other than that, not much else to update on finances. Middle of the month slump. Budget is going well, bit tight but doable. I've bought an early xmas present for myself from my MIL :cool: Some shoes. It turns out that buying clothes / shoes is a nightmare for me as it really does open the floodgates for extra spending beyond what is on the list. Anyway, the shoes are perfect (I have difficult feet) and are within budget so I will pay myself back when the dosh comes through in December. I've since talked myself out of buying at least two other items of clothing that I saw and wanted :o But I'm proud of my new thought process winning, which is that I can make these purchase when I'm debt free. There's only 9 months to go, 9 short months to knuckle down and get this debt paid off, then I'm free to spend my discretionary money on anything I want. Cant wait!

In December, I've got to cover car insurance, final dental bill, remaining xmas gifts and about £100 of work expenses, plus I'm keeping £70 back for my slush fund as poorly family member will need another visit. Means I'll only, again, make about £358 of debt payments. Ugh. Hoping these 'life events' settle down soon so I can make some proper progress on the debt slaying again.

January looks a bit better but then I have to cover a big car service, more plumbing work / decoration and a weekend away with the ladies. In February, I shall be off duty from the world and on full debt slaying mode :rotfl:

My mobile phone contract expires soon and I'm now eligible for an upgrade but I'm going to keep iPhone and pop onto a SIM only contract at £10.95 per month. Will probably inherit DFs newer iPhone when he comes to renew his contract in the next 12 months or so.

Have a great day!

• DrSpendLittle
    Options
    Long time no check in from me. Bad effort with keeping my diary up to date! Truth be told, its been a particularly busy time at the office with starting a new project. Still, I'm hoping the next week or to settle into a new routine and be back to regular postings.

My November budget is still ticking along well. I've had a busy day in the office today, with quite a few meetings, but I managed to park on the road and avoid using a parking card. Took in homemade soup and bread for lunch and hoping to end the day on a NSD. I feel I'm settling in well to my new debt slaying routine at work and managing to keep daily spends during the working week to a minimum.

Tomorrow I am out of the office in the morning at a meeting a in a nearby city and I'm hoping to keep spends down to a minimum. I may come back home afterward for lunch rather than heading into the office but I'll make the decision tomorrow.

This weekend is a possible visit to my poorly family member. That will empty my slush fund and I'm hoping I don't need to 'borrow' into next months slush fund.

Looking forward to payday next week and a fresh month of debt slaying and budgeting!

• DrSpendLittle
    Options
    Had a successful morning of work meetings in town and then decided to come back home for the afternoon to work remotely and have lunch here to avoid any unbudgeted spends.

I've just done some more online xmas shopping and managed to get my penultimate pressie (for my sister in law). Just DF to buy for now plus some bits and bobs for DF, SIL and MIL. Also did an online Ocado shop to bulk buy some wine and fizz for the holidays.

Pay day next week -yay! I'll be glad to get this month out of the way and make a fresh start next month. November has been a very tight month with lots of unforeseen spends visiting poorly family member (getting better now, phew!) and work visits that have well and truly put a dent in my slush fund. Hoping to get my work expenses back fairly quickly since we will get January's pay in mid December.

December still has some big spends - car insurance and final phase of dental work to name a few - but by January, things should settle down and I can get back to making some bigger inroads into the debt.

• DrSpendLittle
    Options
    Had a quiet day today. Working at home and largely a NSD but did order some more xmas pressies online.

Still unsure of plans this weekend and whether I'm heading south tomorrow to visit family. If not, it'll be a catch up weekend of cleaning and tidying. The house is beginning to look like a bit of a bomb site!

I've literally £20 left to my name this month, with a £5 JL voucher. It should last till payday since its DF's turn to do the food shop and I've still got fuel in my car and frozen soups for lunch. Really cutting it fine tho!! :o.

I've also ordered a couple of winter jumpers / cardis to try on. I am very short of warm winter jumpers / layers and with spending a few weeks over xmas in a very cold part of the country with family, I feel the need to stock up when there are bargains to be had. I'll be mainly using cashback (I'm due about £30) and some of December's salary, so not adding to the overall debt.

• DrSpendLittle
    Options
    Hello peeps!

Back from a short break down south to visit poorly (but getting better, yay!) family member. Had train, hotel and food to cover. Expensive but budgeted for.

DF ordered a food shop which arrived today. My new jumpers also arrived when we got back and they are perfect, so I'll be keeping both of them. Yay to being warm at xmas, finally! Will use cashback from the majority of the purchase but will top up with December's salary.

Other than that, not much else to report. Have work meetings in town tomorrow so will have a train fare and coffee to buy but my final £20 of the month should cover that easily. Got one day in the office this week and already have enough fuel in the car to cover the journey (and frozen soup for lunch) so should be okay with making the £20 last until payday :o

• DrSpendLittle
    Options
    Today was a busy day in town at a work meeting. However, I only spent £10 - train ticket (expensable) and a coffee. I took in lunch and water.

Won an M&S cardigan on eBay last night for £0.99 which is a bargain! My maximum bid was only £0.99 so I wasn't actually expecting to win it but, hey ho, I can add it to the now growing pile of warm clothes I have. The cost, however, will have to come off my remaining £10 that is left for this month, meaning I now have £5.51 to last me to pay day :rotfl: Ooops.

I need to pop into town tomorrow to collect a few xmas pressies that I ordered online. I don't envisage any other spends but I do have a £5 voucher for Waitrose just in case we need any top up items. I'll be working at home for the rest of the day so definitely able to keep costs down.

I'm making spag bol tonight from defrosted mince. Hoping to freeze one portion for a mid-week easy dinner. Or have again tomorrow.

Looking forward to payday so I can break the £3,000 mark for total debt repayments. And, £2,500 for credit card debt repayments :D

• DrSpendLittle
    Options
    Smirk. I love the day before the day before payday. It's like xmas eve eve and all that excitement over the wonderful experience of giving gifts, except, the gifts I'm giving are to myself - each month, I get to give myself the gift of debt repayment and being one step closer to my debt free date.

I now have £3.06 in my purse and (technically) £2.97 in my bank account to last me to payday. There is more in my bank account there but its assigned to spends on my credit card associated with my ynab categories - I use my credit card for all my spends during the month and pay it off on the day before payday and reconcile my categories. That way, I get interest on my bank balance and cashback from my credit card company.

This month has been incredibly tricky and an accountants dream - I've shuffled money around my categories like a money launderer and have actually made some December purchases in advance using my credit cards (mainly xmas presents, clothes and a desperately needed hair cut). I feel rubbish about doing this as its not good money management but its been necessary to cover the unexpected circa £500 of family visits this month to visit poorly family member (who is now recovering well!). I can't wait for payday when I can pay off my December spends before my CC statement is generated. I won't be doing this again, since I can't cope with the guilt! Nonetheless, that to me, is a very good sign :)

Nearly a NSD day today - I used my £5 JL voucher in Waitrose to buy bacon and some stocking fillers but had to spend £0.08 from my purse to cover the difference! :cool:

• DrSpendLittle
    Options
    Wow! I just noticed that my diary has got 10K views :o

Thanks to everyone who lurks, reads and comments. Its so nice to know that I am not alone on my debt slaying journey.

This site / diary has made the world of difference to my financial health. I've learned so much and been inspired and humbled from almost every diary I've read. I'm incredibly grateful to you all.

MSE DFW is a wonderful community of everyday people just wanting to make a better future for themselves and their loved ones - you can't beat that!

DSL :beer:
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    I use my credit card for food and fuel and pay it off each month too for the cashback. Every little helps. Love the monthly updates at the end of the month re spends against budget. Looking forward to Novembers update. Well done and sympathy re the poorly family member. We have one in hospital too :(
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure