Safety socket covers - UNSAFE

1235»

Comments

• YBR
    YBR Posts: 539
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    YES
    I regularly demonstrate to people how their Socket Cover can be used to defeat the shutters and make their socket unsafe. I explain how they are unregulated and gradually damage sockets as the pins are the wrong size. Nobody I spoke to ever knew that before I got on my soap box.

At my church they have all been removed and the pre-school that meets there has no issues with that (nor does Ofsted). But they keep reappearing. The Safety Officer and I still have to remove, bust and bin random socket covers on occasion!

At many places I visit they have socket covers in some but not all sockets. That's hopeless either way. I do try to use that as a way to start a conversation ...
  • jimbo6977
    jimbo6977 Posts: 1,224
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    it's pretty easy to open the earth shutter using some plastic object and wedge something in the live/neutral holes. as anyone who's spent time living in europe and returned to the uk will tell you. quicker and easier than replacing the plug.
  • rustywallet
    rustywallet Posts: 167
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Is he safest option to get an electrician to put a blank cover on a socket that is in a potentially dangerous place for a small child? I have a socket right by a child's bed, I worry they might spill a drink of put their fingers in the socket.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 26 October 2019 at 6:33AM
    Is he safest option to get an electrician to put a blank cover on a socket that is in a potentially dangerous place for a small child? I have a socket right by a child's bed, I worry they might spill a drink of put their fingers in the socket.

I guess nothing can be "safer", but the question is whether this is needed at all.
    They definitely can't "put their fingers in the socket" and have to be really skilled to put any smaller objects there.
    A cover can be put instead of the socket, to cover the box, not the socket that will need to be replaced with a terminal block.

Generally, it's, I think, a DIY job that doesn't require an electrician, but you'll probably need one if you ask this question.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    NO
    There's nothing like old threads
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,616
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    roddydogs wrote: »
    There's nothing like old threads

So why push this old one onto the front page again?
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    NO
    Because their is a glitch that keeps putting it in "new posts"
  • YES
    This thread has been pinned, there isn’t a glitch.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    NO
    These were in use when I was younger, they were fine.
  • sithmaster
    sithmaster Posts: 299
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    YES
    I used to have these in my home plug sockets however my children can easily remove them (aged 5&2) so it's safer not to have them
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback