PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

This would likely be the source document if you want to flick through it ... https://www.nao.org.uk/report/financial-sustainability-of-local-authorities-2018/

... of course, all LAs really do need to benchmark their performance against best practice for others in their own sector & against best practice outside where practical, there's plenty that can be done before delivered services need to become affected ...

HTH
    Z

Thanks.

Quick look and it only covers the English councils.

Is there an equivalent one for Welsh Councils?
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks.

Quick look and it only covers the English councils.

Is there an equivalent one for Welsh Councils?
    Hi

Had a quick look at the Wales Audit Office site & it looks like the latest similar(ish) publication is this .... http://www.audit.wales/publication/financial-resilience-local-authorities-wales-2015-16 ... although I find it completely unbelievable that a government department is actually still operating a non-secure website, especially so considering it's the department responsible for AUDIT, being "... committed to identifying and publicising good practice" ... they should be audited & told to pull their socks up!

Quickly looking through the report doesn't paint a good picture of the Audit Office, it's own processes or the level of coherence between the councils & the Welsh Assembly itself, looks like there's plenty of political bluster but little in the way of actual joined-up thinking, planning & support ...

Anyway, as the report isn't recent enough & doesn't specifically identify particular councils I did notice that there were a number of individual council annual improvement reports for 2017-18 on their main publications page ... http://www.audit.wales/publications ... I didn't look at any but perhaps it's worth a look if yours is available.

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 12 August 2018 at 10:35PM
    Options
    You don't surprise me. Though I do my best to ensure any organisations I run/help to run (voluntary type stuff in my case) print everything for everyone to read - as I believe in running things openly.

Thanks for that - I'll get ready to give myself a headache reading it tomorrow now then. Not quite my idea of bedtime reading at the best of times - so tomorrow mornings "homework" then.

EDIT; quick glance at 2nd document - 92 pages. Definitely tomorrows reading - not tonights.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,224 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Morning all. just getting ready for drive to Plymouth, no CFO for a few days; cooked breakfast in B & B, eating out rest of the time.

I may be MIA until the end of the week, too busy Grockling
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    Professor Robert Winston (I think he is actually Lord Winston now) was on tv this morning talking about problems with science and medicine because of Brexit. He said the NHS is stockpiling med but not enough and treatment for cancer will be affected because the machines and isotopes have to be imported. None of us know how our health will be in the future or what treatments we might need so it wasn't very comforting.

I didn't hear all of it as the postman knocked and I missed some of it.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 13 August 2018 at 12:30PM
    Options
    I agree Humpty......the future availability of medications might be a problem.

TBH I am incensed that the powers that be have allowed a scenario to develop where we are so dependent on imports for something so critical as medicines and essential equipment. All in the name Of profit.

(Nothing to do with Brexit......I have been aware of this issue for a long time....my late husband used to do some work for a very large and famous international drug company......the stories he could tell).

Anyway As some of you may know I have a keen interest in nutrition and complimentary therapies.

Lately I have been getting interested in "aging". Well I do have a vested interest. :rotfl:

I want to stay fit, healthy and active well into old age. I do have a good genetic inheritance but I think genetics are only part of the story. How healthy we are and how well we age is also down to lifestyle.

Luckily there is tons of research now on how to age well.

I think it really is going to be increasingly important for all of us to acquire the knowledge we need to keep ourselves as healthy as we can for as long as we can.

I'm afraid, even without Brexit, the NHS is on its knees, Adult Socual Services are a basket case, local councils are paring services to the bone, and nursing homes are closing. The future of healthcare looks grim anyway......add difficulties in drug supplies into the mix and we are could be in big trouble.

I am doing all I can, i now take my health a lot more seriously, diet, nutrition, excerise, sleep, relaxation techniques, complimentary therapies when needed.

I also have private medical insurance - basic and with a good sized excess to keep premiums down - but as Mr. Moustache has pointed out Private health Insurance does not guarantee good health, it should really be called Avoiding Big Medcial Bills insurance.

Obviously there are some people who already suffer from pre existing medical conditions and I as I can testify from my experience with my husband, sickness can strike anyone at any time.

But for the rest of us, who are healthy now or who have minor health niggles or who know we may be at risk ......then really it behoves all of us to get serious about our health and take some responsibility for our futures.

For example, if we are overweight, with creeping blood sugar levels, high cholesterol or the beginnings of hypertension then it's not late to turn back the clock. We all know enough now as to what we need to do.

In recent years I have completely overhauled my diet, partly because I had spent my whole life with stomach ulcers, IBS! And GERD. Also Type II diabetes runs through the maternal line of family. I watch my blood sugar levels like a hawk and have "cured" - no such thing as a cure but, after spending most of my life stomach meds, I can now manage my stomach issues myself. I am symptom free and no longer need medication.

And although I am no great lover of exercise and would hardly class myself as athletic or sporty I do try. I hate public gyms but don't mind using gym equipment, so when I move I shall using one of my spare rooms as a mini gym.

In our familyhome we converted our garage into a mini gym, using second hand equipment. Using it daily gave my husband an extra year of mobility so I have to say, having seem for myself what the power of exercise can achieve, I am now converted to the idea of regular exercise. As I say I don't really enjoy it, it's boring...but needs must.

I think all any of us can do from now on is resolve to keep as healthy as we can fir as long as we can.

As a very wise but now sadly deceased old aunt once advised me.

"Don't put your faith in the State. Just when you need it most, the State will desert you and let you down".

Do everything you can do protect yourselves and your loved ones.

Popped into our local Aldi this morning. I didn't buy much because I shall hopefully be moving in a couple of weeks so am running sticks down. But I did have a good look round and took a note of prices. The shelves did actually seem pretty well stocked.....didn't notice any particular shortages and prices hadn't rocketed, unlike my local Sainsbury's where I noticed substantial price increases.

Could it be because Aldi And Lidl are huge German owned multi nationals who enjoy the benitfits of bulk buying power. Or are Sainsbury's just jumping on the bandwagon and using any excuse to hoick up prices....35p more expensive for Greek Yogurt, 30p more expensive for single cream.......

At any rate I shall be voting with my feet......:D
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    I'm generally healthy, not overweight, no arthritis, very good blood pressure (they are always surprised and check it but it genuinely at the lowest point of normal) I've never drunk alcohol or smoked and I'm pretty active but I do have a chronic condition that is controlled perfectly by my med as long as I can get it. I also have a poor genetic history on my father's side in relation to cancer but that is another story. We cope with the hand we are dealt but there is no excuse for this government if they don't sort out the medical situation. I know recruitment in the NHS is a big problem as more and more EU citizens return home and fewer and fewer come here. I'm not sure how we can resolve that one in a hurry.

I shop at Aldi and somethings are good pricewise but some isn't, I think you have to compare. I like their meat but the fruit and veg isn't always great and some stuff is about the same, I'm thinking of tinned chopped tomatoes which were cheaper at Sainsbury's last week. Not the fancy brands but the Sainsbury's basics. I also find the world food aisle in Sainsbury's can be very good value for things like spices, chick peas and rice. Both of them were low on stock last week but seem better today other than soft drinks which seem to have completely disappeared round here but that is hardly essential. I also look out for offers as they can make a big difference if it is BOGOF. Shopping is becoming a challenge.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 13 August 2018 at 5:16PM
    Options
    You're right....shopping sure is a challenge...we'll be needing degrees in "Shopology" at this rate. :rotfl:

Luckily I'm good at pretty good at remembering prices so I always know if something is competively priced. I guess we just have to shop around and get the best deals.

Now that I live alone I don't really have to worry about things like soft drinks......never touch them. Don't buy cakes, biscuits, pastries, crisps, sweets or chocolate. Sounds deadly boring but I just stick to "proper"food - it's cheaper and a darned sight healthier. I'm happy with that.

I take the view that sweet stuff is really just empty calories, at best they offer no nutritional value, at worst they rot your teeth or interfere with the body's ability to control insulin.

I think what a lot of people have forgotten is that it's nice to have the occasional treat, some nice cake or a delicious pudding, they shouldn't really be eaten every day.

There's a lot to be said for the 80/20 rule. Eat sensibly for 80per cent of the time and restrict the treats to 20 per cent.

I did quite well for fruit and veg today in Aldi but I know it can be a bit hit and miss......I think some Aldi stores are better than others for f&v. I've recently switched stores to one that has opened quite recently. It is great, much bigger, better parking and I think a faster turnover for f&v. The old store f&v seemed to go off quite quickly so probably not such a high turnover.

Like you say.....it's a challenge.
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I actually hate shopping - whether it be food or clothes/shoes. I can spend hours wandering round a garden centre (although still rarely buy) but hate the whole "shopping experience". Unfortunately (or fortunately for me) with the demise of our town centre shops (M&S went last week) there isn't very much reason to think about shopping other than for essentials. Although we do have all the supermarkets here I always weigh up the distance I have to go get there. Morrisons is 5 minutes drive from me (I can walk but then can't buy much), and (shelf stocks permitting) I can get pretty much everything I want there. Tesco/Lidl/Aldi are about 20 mins. drive, but if I shop at Aldi/Lidl I still have to get cat food from one of the others. Waitrose/Asda are in a different direction but still 20 mins. away, and Sainsbury's is about 30 mins. away. There are no fresh fruit and veg shops that I can think of anywhere on the way to the supermarkets - likewise butchers (although I have reduced the amount of meat I eat anyway). So, being of the mindset of "I have to go shopping so let's get it done as quickly as possible" I do tend to go to Morrisons. I do use home delivery if I am stocking up on tins etc. but I do prefer to choose my own f&v and fresh stuff.
    I have my usual autumn/winter plan for food stocks, but was wondering if there was anything else to think about - meds. aside as there is a limit to what we can do about them. I also build up a stash of books/craft things for winter days, but I was thinking about what clothing/footwear/household goods might be affected because of brexit. Not that I am in imminent need of anything but I was just wondering.
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    We're getting a new Lidl, they are building it now. It will be a supermarket I can easily walk to, I could walk to Sainsburys and Aldi but it would be a trek back carrying shopping. I'm looking forward to it, bit of exercise and saving petrol, win win.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback