dpa Sar request

Options
I wish to check some activity on my bank account, but it was a long time ago, between 2001 and 2004, would a sar request supply this info give how long ago it was. Or would the inland revenue be a better option. any suggestion appreciated.
Thanks alan

Comments

• antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    alanrcal wrote: »
    I wish to check some activity on my bank account, but it was a long time ago, between 2001 and 2004, would a sar request supply this info give how long ago it was. Or would the inland revenue be a better option. any suggestion appreciated.
    Thanks alan

Have you asked your bank? They have likely deleted the records. A SAR won't make them reappear,

Inland revenue, now HMRC, don't have access to your bank records.
  • alanrcal
    Options
    Hi thanks for that, I'll have to try a different approach to prove where I was working during those dates.
    thanks anyway
    alan
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you requested your statements for that period.

Some internet banking platforms allow you to search historic statement but depends which bank you are with as to whether this would be possible.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • alanrcal
    Options
    Thanks I'll give that a go, I didn't know that.
    alan
  • AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    Options
    alanrcal wrote: »
    Hi thanks for that, I'll have to try a different approach to prove where I was working during those dates.
    thanks anyway
    alan

If you're just looking for proof of your employment history, this may help.
    https://www.gov.uk/get-proof-employment-history
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's quite unlikely that any bank will have data available from 14-17 years ago in an easily accessible format, and as suggested by antrubus there's a very good chance that it will have been deleted entirely.
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If the bank did hold data that far back it would have to provide a very good reason for doing so or be in breach of Data Protection law.

"Fifth principle
    - Personal data processed for any purpose or purposes shall not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose or those purposes."

https://www.ed.ac.uk/records-management/data-protection/what-is-it/principles
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure