Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nationwide8
    • By Nationwide8 5th Nov 16, 8:45 PM
    • 335Posts
    • 136Thanks
    Nationwide8
    Tesco Bank
    • 5th Nov 16, 8:45 PM
    Tesco Bank 5th Nov 16 at 8:45 PM
    44 mins and counting for Tesco Bank to answer the phone after I rec an e-mail from their Fraud dept asking to contact them Urgently..

Great customer service..

46 mins now..

FORUM TEAM EDIT: [OFFICIAL MSE NEWS POST: 'Tesco Bank halts online transactions after money taken from 20,000 current accounts']
    Last edited by Former MSE Matt; 07-11-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Page 3
    • timmy963
    • By timmy963 6th Nov 16, 3:16 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    timmy963
    I just got an email and text saying the same thing for one of my current accounts, even though everything seems fine on my online banking. I've also never even used my Tesco debit cards...

I only have a payg mobile so I'll be damned if I'm going to wait an hour for them to pick up the phone. I'll have to call them when I get to work on Monday...
    Last edited by timmy963; 06-11-2016 at 3:18 AM.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 6th Nov 16, 6:52 AM
    • 6,158 Posts
    • 5,524 Thanks
    badger09
    Text & email received 05.28!!!128552; Disturbed by vibrating phone & being a curious badger, I spent 20 minutes on hold to the Credit Card number.

A fraudulent transaction of 4.17 had gone through but a much larger one was blocked. Like others I've never used my debit card on either of my current accounts.

Fraud department will phone 'in the next day or two', card will be cancelled but my other account is unaffected but I will monitor closely.

It's going to be a very long day.
    • TheBanker
    • By TheBanker 6th Nov 16, 7:24 AM
    • 625 Posts
    • 1,568 Thanks
    TheBanker
    It would appear there has been a serious breach of security at Tesco Bank. Like many others I received a message, and I appear to have 66 missing (difference between Balance and Available Balance). I have been on hold since 6am.

Looking on Twitter and Facebook, it seems many others are affected too.

This is really quite poor and if they have been subject to a security breach they should put a message on the phone, website etc rather than having hundreds of customers spending hours on the phone to log individual claims.
    Make 10 a day challenge: Jan-18: 330 / 400
    • mt99
    • By mt99 6th Nov 16, 7:43 AM
    • 462 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    mt99
    data bearch
    Sounds like there may have been a data breach at a retailer somewhere (rather than at Tesco itself). It has happened before (with credit cards):

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/cards/2016/02/credit-cards-cancelled-after-mystery-online-shopping-data-breach

Although some people reporting here they have never used their cards??
    • badger09
    • By badger09 6th Nov 16, 7:47 AM
    • 6,158 Posts
    • 5,524 Thanks
    badger09
    Sounds like there may have been a data breach at a retailer somewhere (rather than at Tesco itself). It has happened before (with credit cards):

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/cards/2016/02/credit-cards-cancelled-after-mystery-online-shopping-data-breach

Originally posted by mt99
    Many of us, myself included, have never used our Tesco debit cards so how can a retailer be involved?
    • TheBanker
    • By TheBanker 6th Nov 16, 7:49 AM
    • 625 Posts
    • 1,568 Thanks
    TheBanker

Originally posted by mt99
    I suspect a lot of people here never use their Tesco cards, just keeping a 3k balance to earn the 3% interest.

If this was a retailer issue, then it would follow that other banks would also be affected. But all the commentary on Social Media that I've seen is about Tesco current accounts.

I think their Social Media team start at 8am so hopefully they'll get their act together and post something.

It seems to me that whatever has happened, Tesco's management team don't have a very good plan to deal with problems out of hours - at the very least they should stop sending out their fraud alerts (given nobody can respond) and put something on social media so people aren't spending hours of their weekend worrying and trying to get through to the helpline. Even on their own community forum there is no official comment from Tesco*.

(*Disclaimer - I helped write a procedure to deal with a similar scenario at another bank, and we can update our website and social media out of hours now if the Call Centre managers report some kind of problem)
    • TheBanker
    • By TheBanker 6th Nov 16, 8:09 AM
    • 625 Posts
    • 1,568 Thanks
    TheBanker
    Their Twitter guy has turned up and posted the usual "good morning everyone" tweet, seemingly oblivious to whatever's going on.

Anyone on twitter might want to drop @tescobankhelp a tweet instead of waiting on hold?
    • inchindown
    • By inchindown 6th Nov 16, 8:09 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    inchindown
    I got text this morning from the fraud department. Double checked the number they gave on the main Tesco website before calling. Number appeared genuine. Gave up after 1 hour on hold.

No strange transactions on my credit or current accounts. Never use the debit card for purchases and have never given it to anyone as far as I know. Only ever used it to withdraw money from cash machine.

As a precaution I moved all my money out of the Tesco account to one of my other accounts.

Very poor show from Tesco. There should be some form of statement on their website about this as it appears to be a major security breach on a large number of accounts.
    Last edited by inchindown; 06-11-2016 at 8:13 AM.
    • TheBanker
    • By TheBanker 6th Nov 16, 8:12 AM
    • 625 Posts
    • 1,568 Thanks
    TheBanker
    No strange transactions on my credit or current accounts. Never use the debit card for purchases and have never given it to anyone as far as I know.
    Originally posted by inchindown
    Check the balance - I can't see a transaction yet but my Available balance is 66 less than it should be. This implies there is a pending card transaction, which hasn't settled yet and is presumably what triggered the fraud alert.
    • inchindown
    • By inchindown 6th Nov 16, 8:17 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    inchindown
    Check the balance - I can't see a transaction yet but my Available balance is 66 less than it should be. This implies there is a pending card transaction, which hasn't settled yet and is presumably what triggered the fraud alert.
    Originally posted by TheBanker
    The available balance was correct in my case. No sign of any pending transactions that I don't know about.
    • Hattie625
    • By Hattie625 6th Nov 16, 8:20 AM
    • 763 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    Hattie625
    I've moved all money out my Tesco accounts but am 242 down on one of my current accounts. It shows a balance of 242 and available balance of 0.90. I t won't let me move the 242. All other funds moved out.
    • djpailo
    • By djpailo 6th Nov 16, 8:25 AM
    • 448 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    djpailo
    I have not had any fraudulent activity on my account. Current and available balance the same. Moving money out now.

I wonder if the fraud has only occurred on "inactive" accounts??
    • TheBanker
    • By TheBanker 6th Nov 16, 8:28 AM
    • 625 Posts
    • 1,568 Thanks
    TheBanker
    My account isn't inactive - I do use my card when I shop in Tesco (for the extra points) - but haven't shopped there for a few weeks. Last genuine transaction was mid October for me.
    • djpailo
    • By djpailo 6th Nov 16, 8:30 AM
    • 448 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    djpailo
    I've moved my money out, but now we will need to wait, Tesco are one of the slowest for faster payments...
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 6th Nov 16, 8:39 AM
    • 1,762 Posts
    • 4,397 Thanks
    Zanderman
    No alerts for any of the three Tesco Current accounts at the Zander house.

Just logged in to two of them and balance and available balance correct for both.

So all well, so far, on some accounts!

Not sure I see the point of people moving money out because of the problem as, whatever the cause, Tesco are obviously aware of it and will correct any loss.
    • Shedman
    • By Shedman 6th Nov 16, 8:40 AM
    • 165 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Shedman
    Maybe it's a ploy by Tescobank to get rid of all of us that are just using the account as a savings account . Appalling CS - why not put a message on the phones and/or Website so we all didn't waste hours calling
    • inchindown
    • By inchindown 6th Nov 16, 8:45 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    inchindown
    No alerts for any of the three Tesco Current accounts at the Zander house.

Just logged in to two of them and balance and available balance correct for both.

So all well, so far, on some accounts!

Not sure I see the point of people moving money out because of the problem as, whatever the cause, Tesco are obviously aware of it and will correct any loss.
    Originally posted by Zanderman
    I just moved my money out in case there was any significant delay in correcting any possible fraudulent transactions. I'll move it back in as soon as we get the all clear.
    • TheBanker
    • By TheBanker 6th Nov 16, 8:46 AM
    • 625 Posts
    • 1,568 Thanks
    TheBanker

Originally posted by Zanderman
    The poor service is a reason to move all your money! They could have....
    1) Used their website and social media to tell people what was happening
    2) Changed the message on their phone line to say there is no point waiting and explaining what had happened
    3) Sent a follow up text and email to everyone explaining the situation

Instead they are staying silent and letting people wait on the line for hours.

I pity anyone who's trying to get through to report their card lost or stolen at this time!!
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 6th Nov 16, 8:47 AM
    • 30,174 Posts
    • 18,064 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    I just moved my money out in case there was any significant delay in correcting any possible fraudulent transactions. I'll move it back in as soon as we get the all clear.
    Originally posted by inchindown
    Smart move if it's all the money you have in the world. But unnecessary if it's just a small part of your savings portfolio.
    • inchindown
    • By inchindown 6th Nov 16, 8:47 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    inchindown
    I've moved my money out, but now we will need to wait, Tesco are one of the slowest for faster payments...
    Originally posted by djpailo
    My transfer was almost instantaneous. By the time I logged onto the other account, the money had been added to my balance.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,375Posts Today

8,222Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin