PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renovation of two properties

Options
Hi im looking at purchasing a 4 bed detached house which also has a detached 2 bedroom cottage in north yorkshire but needs extensive repair, modernisation and alterations throughout.
Here is a rough list of some of the things we were wanting to have done:

Also a rough guide of timescale using one company for most of the work

A rough estimate would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Both properties need serious damp proofing (survey report - rising and penetrating damp throughout up to 2metres high)
Whole re-wire of electrics to both properties
Rendering both properties
Chimneys all refurbished
20 x new upvc windows - 2 needs to be made larger
5 external doors - 1 created
New roofs on both properties
Boths lofts to be boarded and insulated
4 x internal walls knocked through
Replace stairs with a larger set
New hall way created from a bedroom
Remove a set of stairs and patch up
2 x New combi oil boilers
25 x radiators
Both internal walls and ceilings re plastered
Front door opening created on wall
New gutters and fascias
Replace perspex on canopy between properties
20 x internal doors and frames
New skirtings throughout
Replacing 1 x bathroom and 3 x shower rooms - basic
Replace small kitchen with basic units
Replace large (30ft long) kitchen with basic units

External
450ft total for fencing around the whole estate (6ft x 6ft fencing panels)
Sliding electric gate
80ft x 40ft concrete/tarmac at front of the houses

Comments

• ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,721 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My gut reaction is knock down and rebuild. You will get much better houses, and the VAT refunded. You might find the plot supports 3 or 4 houses doing that.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Are you looking at creating your dream home, customised to your own specification?

Or do you want to buy-renovate-sell?

I don't know north Yorkshire, but in the south you'd typically find it difficult to make a profit on buy-renovate-sell, if you just a hired a building firm to do all the work. The building firm would end up with a much bigger slice of profit than you.

To make a good profit, you'd have to hire tradesmen direct and/or do a chunk of the 'high value' work yourself.

But north Yorkshire might be different.
  • project2018
    Options
    Thanks for the quick response, were just looking for a decent sized home suitable for our needs with land. No intention to sell
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's hard to digest as a simple list with nothing else to go on.

A simpler question might be how much do you have to spend?

I think there's at least 3 months of work there if both houses are empty and you're working simultaneously with a trade finishing on one and then moving onto the others.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • project2018
    Options
    Yeah I know there's loads that needs doing :eek: budget wise £60k to £80k?
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Okay. I had £80k in my head, so there you go :o
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • pleasedelete
    pleasedelete Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    North Yorkshire is the largest county in England and vastly different across all areas. You will pay a very different price in Harrogate from Scarborough.

If it is rural then getting a builder may be a challenge as they can be local and have long waiting lists.

UPVC windows in an older property? Really- thats a good way to decrease the value. Is it in moors, dales or conservation area?

I don't think you will get that for anywhere near £80k if it is in a rural area. And putting cheap/basic fittings in is probably a waste of money unless these are really cheap properties to begin with.
    June challenge £100 a day £3161.63 plus £350 vouchers plus £108.37 food/shopping saving

July challenge £50 a day. £ 1682.50/1550

October challenge £100 a day. £385/£3100
  • nubbins
    nubbins Posts: 725 Forumite
    Options
    North Yorkshire is the largest county in England and vastly different across all areas. You will pay a very different price in Harrogate from Scarborough.

If it is rural then getting a builder may be a challenge as they can be local and have long waiting lists.

UPVC windows in an older property? Really- thats a good way to decrease the value. Is it in moors, dales or conservation area?

I don't think you will get that for anywhere near £80k if it is in a rural area. And putting cheap/basic fittings in is probably a waste of money unless these are really cheap properties to begin with.

My gut was 150k plus
  • project2018
    Options
    The house is located near ripon and was built in 1900. It has already been updated with pvc windows but these need replacing now. Was looking at Ikea for the kitchens and not too expensive bathroom fittings.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 August 2018 at 10:57AM
    Options
    We have just spent £45k on renovating our house. It's a 1930s semi which was perfectly liveable but needed updating. 5 bedrooms; kitchen approx. 12ft sq, 70ft garden. Costs as follows:

£10k for new windows (2 large bays and standard windows in 5 other rooms + new French windows - all from a local company)
    £7.5k Kitchen, dining room, utility room knocked through into one large room - 3 walls knocked down and rsjs put in, plastered, electrics put in and radiators relocated
    2.5k new porch (same window company)
    £12k new kitchen - that was the cost of the units, appliances and worktop - my husband fitted it all
    £3k for 2 new bathrooms - one was a replacement and the second we did from scratch as it used to be a bedroom. Again, this is just the cost of the materials as my husband did all the work
    £3k for new flat roof
    £2k for new boiler
    £1.5k for new utility room in the garage (again all labour done by ourselves)
    £2.5k on garden work - new fencing and my husband built a summerhouse from scratch

Hope that helps.
    Your job sounds a MUCH bigger project!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family