Suggestions for real CHEAP insulation

I am planning to board out my summer house and thought that it might be an idea to pop some insulation between the structure and the internal boarding. Kingspan would be great but its looking like costing over £250 to use this. Rockwool is cheaper but such a nightmare to work with.
Can anyone suggest anything cheaper. Whilst I want some insulation its only to take the chill off during the winter if we wanted to use it (we do have use of a small heater in there when its really cold). Also I feel a little reluctant to spend a lot of money for a room that isn't really going to get used that much!!!
Any suggestions greatly appreciated for you money saving savvy people!

Comments

• Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Newspaper? Old duvets or mattresses? Eggboxes? Polystyrene packaging?

All these could be collected over time or by asking friends and family.

.... Whether they'd be very successful or not I cannot tell!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I've no idea how safe/ideal it is, but my dad used big bubble wrap in his shed about 30 years ago.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 10 August 2018 at 6:02AM
    Stuffing insulation into a gap meant to contain air isn't always a great idea unless the outer layer is entirely weatherproof and/or there's a vapour barrier.

The former not-too-practical owner of my property stuffed rockwool into the gap formed when he lined his shed with plywood. It did not end well, though he wasn't around to see the end.

Maybe 25mm polystyrene inserted with something to brace it just clear of the outer wall and base would be OK and not too expensive?
  • ComicGeek
    ComicGeek Posts: 1,539
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If you're not going to use the heater much, why bother trying to insulate the roof. Without doing the floor and walls as well, and making sure that it's more air tight, I can't see how a little bit of cheap insulation is going to make any difference.

You might save yourself a few pence of electricity each time you use it, so how many times would you need to use it before you make the money back? And as it's not a structure that is intended to be insulated, you may spend much more maintaining/replacing it in the future.
  • dboswell
    dboswell Posts: 309 Forumite
    Gumtree - I got rid of quite a bit of excess insulation - kingspan, rockwool from a previous extension. Happy for someone to take it for free.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Forumite
    ComicGeek wrote: »
    If you're not going to use the heater much, why bother trying to insulate the roof. Without doing the floor and walls as well .
    So far as I can see, OP didn't suggest she'd only do the roof.
  • tonyh66
    tonyh66 Posts: 1,736
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    have a look at jablite insulation, its just polystyrene but much cheaper than celotex. As said earlier you need to leave a gap between outside wall and insulation.
  • Rockwool? I've just installed some of the semi-rigid RWA45 slabs and they're no bother atall. Very little itch and easily cut to size with a long bladed kitchen knife.
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,989
    Forumite
    polystyrene packaging wrapped in bin bags to keep out moisture?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure