Living with an IPA

Options
Hello everyone,

Just a quick query as i cant find it on a thread anywhere.

What is life like after discharge when paying an IPA? do you get regular communications from you OR or CW? Do they require a 3/6/12 monthly update to your SOA?
i understand that its my responsibility to inform them of any changes but i was just wondering what happens on their part?

cheers

Jason

Comments

• Jono987
    Jono987 Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I heard absolutely nothing. I worked away abroad for a couple of months and earnt quite a lot extra (thousands). I emailed.my OR and let them know, they said I could keep.it as it was only a one off and not a permanent change to my career. This came in handy for dentist fees and car repairs.

After a year I emailed the OR and asked if my parents could pay my IPA in full. The OR said yes, my.parents paid it and a couple months later I got a better job earning quite a substantial amount more and I get to keep it all.

All in all my experience was extremely good.
  • Jaypsarticus
    Options
    Jono. Interesting. I dont intend on changing jobs for the next 3 years or my circumstances changing significantly - we may be moving home next year but it will be the same outgoings etc. I have read on other forums the best thing is to let sleeping dogs lie etc. I made the decision on month 9 of my BR to inform them of a £1000 payrise resulting in a £75 pcm IPA. some say i should have just ridden the storm until today- my AD date! to be fair though i dont feel like i am discharged as i am still under the watchful eye of the OR.... or am i?? do they put Discharged parties on another pile from newly discharged people? my partner is worried that everytime i get an extra shifts work to put a few quid away for the holiday fund etc then it will get taken off me....

interesting about payin goff the IPA. was that recently? I have heard some people doing it and some people saying its not possible. that would reduce so much stress in my life.. this IPA is like a mill stone around my neck for the next 34 months.....
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The insolvency service do not have the resources to keep tabs on everyone who is in an IVA, DRO, or has gone bankrupt.

The theory they are constantly watching you somehow, is simply not true.

You are obliged to inform the OR if your income increases significantly, usually a one off bonus, or period of OT are ignored, only permanent changes require action to be taken.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Jaypsarticus
    Options
    Thanks Sourcrates.

I am pleased i have finally made the discharge date but as stated, i feel like i still have 3 years to go. its mentally draining.

My friends and family have just said to carry on regardless and try to enjoy today and if something significant changes in my life to let them know otherwise just keep my head down and respond only to questions that the OR or CW may ask me? i know thats maybe not the right attitude but its an option i suppose
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks Sourcrates.

I am pleased i have finally made the discharge date but as stated, i feel like i still have 3 years to go. its mentally draining.

My friends and family have just said to carry on regardless and try to enjoy today and if something significant changes in my life to let them know otherwise just keep my head down and respond only to questions that the OR or CW may ask me? i know thats maybe not the right attitude but its an option i suppose

You just have to keep in mind that what you have done has cleared your debts, with, very little pain.

Say, for example, you had chosen a DMP instead, that would last a lot longer as a rule, so really its a case of short term pain, for long term gain, just take a day at a time, and one day, pretty soon, it will all be over.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Jaypsarticus
    Options
    Brilliant Answer, thankyou :-)
  • Mollie_Guinness15
    Options
    I informed them of annual pay increases and these were factored in and my IPA went up to £50 a month, then a baby came along and the IPA was set to 0 until the next payrise when it went back up to £50 again. An annual bonus of £1000 I was allowed to keep for car MOT and other expenses.
    Then came divorce and legal costs, so about 28 months in IPA suspended again and I never heard anything else from them.
    I think if you're upfront and honest with them, you'll get treated fairly.
  • elljay
    elljay Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Options
    A couple of months before discharge I was told I'd been transferred to the long-term team (LTAD I think it was called) as all investigations into my case had been satisfactorily concluded. This team apparently oversees your case through discharge and until the end of your IPA. I had to notify a few changes but these were all dealt with by Clarke Wilmott. Before the end of my IPA the OR did come back to me with clarification about one issue (so you're not totally forgotten) but otherwise no contact.

EJ
  • Jono987
    Jono987 Posts: 185 Forumite
    Options
    Jono. Interesting. I dont intend on changing jobs for the next 3 years or my circumstances changing significantly - we may be moving home next year but it will be the same outgoings etc. I have read on other forums the best thing is to let sleeping dogs lie etc. I made the decision on month 9 of my BR to inform them of a £1000 payrise resulting in a £75 pcm IPA. some say i should have just ridden the storm until today- my AD date! to be fair though i dont feel like i am discharged as i am still under the watchful eye of the OR.... or am i?? do they put Discharged parties on another pile from newly discharged people? my partner is worried that everytime i get an extra shifts work to put a few quid away for the holiday fund etc then it will get taken off me....

interesting about payin goff the IPA. was that recently? I have heard some people doing it and some people saying its not possible. that would reduce so much stress in my life.. this IPA is like a mill stone around my neck for the next 34 months.....

It was in December mate. I had made 8 ipa payments, then my mum paid the remaining 28 in one go. I got it in writing from the OR that I could actively seek to earn more money and they wouldn't have an interest in it.

Since then I've earned a lot more and paid a lot more tax so I suppose you could say j have given some back. I never would have moved jobs otherwise and would have stayed where I was on less money until the ipa was done.
  • Degsyhall
    Degsyhall Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Jono

I!!!8217;m really interested in your experience of paying the IPA off as a lump sum.

Could you give more details on what you asked for?

The time frame for this to be set up and complete?

I would love to do the same as I have just found out my wife is pregnant and I would love to get the IPA sorted so I can prepare for the baby. My IPA is due to run until Feb 2020.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure