Money Moral Dilemma: My colleague is paid more to do the same job - what should I do?

Options

Comments

• joao.matos
    joao.matos Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    understand how the company measure your performance. which indicators are analized. see if you meet, exceed or need to improve. if you are improving ask for it if not improve. In general availability, productivity, etc..
  • joehoover
    joehoover Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Obviously say something, but be ready to prove that you warrant it.
    I work with people who think they are doing this and that to warrant an equal pay when it's not true, they are in the same roles but one does noticeably less but they think they do the same. They just see it as the same role too when they just turn up and do the minimum required. it's not the same, but they honestly don't view it as such.
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    we do exactly the same job and have similar levels of experience

What does that matter? Maybe they are better than you! People who have been in the job the same time should not automatically get paid the same, otherwise where is the incentive to work hard?

Unless there is discrimination for other reasons (eg race, sex) the answer is a firm "No".
  • newwiseman
    newwiseman Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    By all means have a word with your boss, but be prepared for the possibility that you may hear you are not as highly thought of as you thought. I suggest you should be prepared to look for another job because you will not be happy if you get a negative feedback, whether or not it is justified. You still have to work with the people if you stay. Real life is often not fair.
  • Ianp2000
    Ianp2000 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Don't forget...you are paid just enough to keep you there. They're not interested in "fairness". The worst paid people are usually the ones who are the longest serving. New employees are enticed with pay packages bigger than their previous job.

Even if you don't want to leave, find another job that pays more. Hand your notice in and say you MIGHT be willing to stay if they increased your wages to match.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Apply Klingon advancement techniques?
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Primer
    Primer Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Exactly the same where I work, we were Tuped out to a subcontracting company and 8 months after they took over they created a new grade for new employees and they are paid on average £8 -9k less than us for doing the same job, we also get more holiday and much better sick pay, it's a cause of animosity between staff especially when you have quite a few of the higher paid who are work shy to say the least and think it's funny that they get away with doing little for a lot more.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    kazt2006 wrote: »
    Yes you have the right to be paid an equal basic salary for the same role or at the very least in the same banding / grade.

No, you don't. You have a right not to be discriminated against, in relation to pay or other terms. So if the reason that you are paid less than your colleague is because you are disabled, or of a different gender, race or sexual orientation.|

Obviously some organisations, particularly larger ones, may have formal internal rules about pay banding or grades, but it isn't a legal requirement.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • crmism
    crmism Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's always going to be difficult trying to give helpful advice when only the bare bones of someone's predicament are aired.

For example, are you the same sex as your colleague, are you of similar age, do you work the same hours or does one of you work unsocial hours, do you hold the same qualifications to do the job, do you rate the same in terms of performance appraisals? All of these, or a combination of one or more of them, would be factors affecting total remuneration, ie basic salary and add-ons.

The only person who can advise you properly is your boss, as he/she has all the answers to these questions at his/her finger-tips. It's either that, or you could re-submit your post with more information.
  • happyinflorida
    Options
    Have they been in the job longer than you? Is that why?

Or are one of you female and the other male? If the female's being paid less for doing exactly the same job, then you could try asking for a salary increase under the equal pay act for women, I think it was passed by Labour in 1970.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure