Bankrupt but still Gassafe

Is it possible for a plumbing company to be dissolved, 4 years ago, but the business owner - still to be operating a (slightly differently named) plumbing business - still registered with Gassafe under the same membership number ?
The original business was on Companies house - the new business doesn't appear !

Comments

• maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    The gas safe membership number is an individual rather than a business number so yes. It is possible for a limited company to close and the individual to start a similar business as a sole trader instead
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks - so no reason not to use the new company then ?
    I have used the old company for 13 years and was happy with them
    Does a sole trader not have to register with companies house then ?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,193 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    50Twuncle wrote: »

I'm a sole trader and the only official place I am 'registered' with is HMRC.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,840 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    50Twuncle wrote: »

A sole trader is by definition not a company and so not able to register at Companies House.
  • Aquamania
    Aquamania Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    edited 18 July 2018 at 8:33AM
    OP - what makes you believe the business owner was made bankrupt?

Limited companies are dissolved everyday; it does not indicate the financial status of the owner.
    The basic advantage of a limited company is that even if it did encounter financial difficulties (and the dissolution does not indicate it did). the owner/shareholder is not personally liable (usually)

It could simply be that the owner no longer wishes to be involved in the burdens of running a limited company. There is nothing strange in the fact they wish to continue to eran a living as a sole trader.

I do not know the rules of gas safe membership, but maisie cat has already addressed that issue.

General Grant & soolin are correct in saying that sole traders do not register with companies house. However, the business owner (as a sole trader) must be named on certain documents if they are trading under a business name ... and cannot use the word 'limited' as part of their trading name.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Aquamania wrote: »
    OP - what makes you believe the business owner was made bankrupt?

Limited companies are dissolved everyday; it does not indicate the financial status of the owner.
    The basic advantage of a limited company is that even if it did encounter financial difficulties (and the dissolution does not indicate it did). the owner/shareholder is not personally liable (usually)

It could simply be that the owner no longer wishes to be involved in the burdens of running a limited company. There is nothing strange in the fact they wish to continue to eran a living as a sole trader.

I do not know the rules of gas safe membership, but maisie cat has already addressed that issue.

General Grant & soolin are correct in saying that sole traders do not register with companies house. However, the business owner (as a sole trader) must be named on certain documents if they are trading under a business name ... and cannot use the word 'limited' as part of their trading name.
    Right - but the company are still calling themselves $$$ ltd !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure