Mileage not paid - removed from shifts

indianabones
indianabones Posts: 305 Forumite
Situation is for my brother who works as a security officer for a smallish (50 people) company.

- Staff shortage has meant brother's manager wanted him to travel further to a client.
- Manager said brother would be paid £5.00 per shift at this site as fuel allowance verbally and via text
- After 2 months of shifts at this site brother hasn't been paid despite repeated requests
- Brother sent a detailed text and then phoned for assurances on the money being paid and backdated
- Manager went into psycho mode and hurled abuse and swore on the phone
- Brother went to shift that he was scheduled for only to find another member of the team already there
- Brother called manager as to what was going on, manager swore then hung up and then switched off his phone
- Brother has sent a text message to manager asking about the next steps.
- Brother has another job and starts in June but doesn't want to ruin the relationship with current company (for references)
- Manager is a nutcase, always goes off into swearing mode with staff, part of the reason why people are switching shifts and sites so often

What do you advise he (we) do next? Is it worth my bother getting HR involved? My thoughts are that the manager wouldn't want to get HR involved because the text messages and the lack of clarity on shifts would screw him over. On the other hand getting HR involved in your final few weeks before leave doesn't look good surely?

Comments

• Peelerfart
    Peelerfart Posts: 2,177
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Going on what you've asked, get HR involved.

If all he has to lose is a potential reference from a seemingly unstable boss, id risk it.
    Space available for rent
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport