Fitness Trackers / Smartwatch - Which one?

Hello All

I've spent the last 5 years of my life working hard on gaining a few spare tires, carrying at least 5 stone I don't need and generally making my teenage/early 20s self ashamed at what I've become.

I've recently realized/remembered that I really do enjoy running and have started back up a few days a week, baby steps so far, but I didnt gain the weight and lose the fitness in a day, and I'm not going to lose the weight and gain the fitness in a day either.

The point of this thread is that I want a fitness tracker/smart watch, I'm a massive technology nerd but the whole "smartwatch" thing has passed me by. Can anyone recommend what to look for and what to avoid? For reference I'm an android user for my main device (Moto G6+) and unlikely to deviate from android devices.

In short, I want the following if possible:

- Smartwatch to link to Android phone for basic apop control/notifications etc
- Fitness tracker for running/step counts/heart rate etc
- Standalone GPS for use without phone? not sure if this exists?
- Preferably under £200?

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Currently using a Garmin FR645 which does everything you need plus is an excellent running watch. Yup, its over budget but might be worth looking in the sales etc.
  • pmartin86
    pmartin86 Posts: 755 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Looks quite nice, but yes, over my budget...definatly worth keeping an eye on though.

Something I forgot to ask in the initial post - whats the life span on these devices? I've come to accept a phone being 2 years ish, would a watch be the same? or less?
  • DavidT67
    DavidT67 Posts: 389 Forumite
    Go to DC Rainmaker's website for all FitTech related reviews and comparisons.
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    DavidT67 wrote: »
    Go to DC Rainmaker's website for all FitTech related reviews and comparisons.

This ^^

I use a 2-3 yr old Garmin Fenix 3, and see nothing out there that I would want to replace it with, but life span with these things is normally fairly long.
    Personally I see no reason why I wouldn't use this one until it died.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • jeradon
    jeradon Posts: 89 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Check out Huawei Band 2 Pro. It has a good battery life, waterproof and inexpensive.
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    I have a Fitbit Ionic, it's a bit out of your price range at £240 ish but does all you want and is very customisable.

I have changed the strap for a metal link one (I swap to the supplied sports one when running, which takes seconds) and it is wearable as a normal watch with loads of different face to download.

On the running groups I'm on, Garmin seem to be the most popular but there is a wide range so you would need to check out the features.

Also look at Tomtom and Polar.

It then comes down to aesthetics.
  • pmartin86
    Thanks for the tips so far all.

Garmin or Fitbit seem, to both be clear leaders in providing what I want, with Garmin seemingly winning on price.

I've come across this specificaly

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-010-03717-71-Forerunner-Running-Notifications/dp/B016ZXB5JA/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_200_bs_lp_tr_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=E90732K13DV449NDCVC5

Seems to do what I want, at a price im happy with with, any opions on this one?
  • Yes I have the forerunner 235 that you link to - it's brilliant for running. I don't think I've really explored all of the smartwatch functions but what I have tried out worked well. Would highly recommend.

You can use the GPS without taking your phone with you, and I actually prefer this - who wants to be hassled mid-run with emails and phone calls? Not me!

Just don't believe the predicted race times the 235 gives you. It suggest I could run a 21.30 5k even though I've never gone faster than 26:05 :(
  • pmartin86
    Yes I have the forerunner 235 that you link to - it's brilliant for running. I don't think I've really explored all of the smartwatch functions but what I have tried out worked well. Would highly recommend.

You can use the GPS without taking your phone with you, and I actually prefer this - who wants to be hassled mid-run with emails and phone calls? Not me!

Just don't believe the predicted race times the 235 gives you. It suggest I could run a 21.30 5k even though I've never gone faster than 26:05 :(

Thanks for that, just the sort of insight I'm after!

The smartwatch functions I suspect will be limited regardless, the standalone GPS is something I quite like, my "running time" used to be my "alone time" - I'd like to regain that.

Not worried too much about pace etc ATM, more concerned with being able to complete 5k again! It amazing to think in my early 20s I was able to run 10-15k while barely breaking a sweat, now I break a sweat bending over to get the running shoes on!
  • Herongull
    Herongull Posts: 1,356 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Have a look at the Amazfit Blip - around £55 including postage on ebay (from EU) or around £60 on Amazon.

This has GPS, heart rate, steps, long battery life etc etc and gets good reviews.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/amazfit-bip-review-100-smartwatch-with-integrated-gps-and-45-day-battery-life/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure