Reduction of Dividend Allowance?

Comments

• polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Basic rate tax-payers with £5k of dividends will pay at least £225 extra from April 2018. There will be some who pay up to £975 - either because their taxable non-dividend income is within £3,000 of the entry point to higher rate tax, or that they haven't understood that in 2016/17 you can be classified as higher-rate tax-payer without paying a penny of tax at the higher rate.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    talexuser wrote: »
    I see the debate is hotting up in the usual way. I think the conclusion is you should not introduce something with great fanfare which gets significantly reduced in a short time later (in HMRC terms).

I can see the "one-two punch" method of raising taxation becoming increasingly popular. They did the same with the Money Purchase Annual Allowance.
    Why not start with 1k like the savings interest and see how revenues progress?

Because it would have amounted to a significant new tax levy on anyone with a five-figure sum invested outside ISAs and pensions. With a £5,000 limit they could announce that 85% of taxpayers wouldn't be affected.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 March 2017 at 4:08PM
    The point I was making
    I was specifically responding to another point about there being another category apart from dim/wealthy.

was that this allowance has been in for just under 12 months so although reducing it so quickly wasn't a great move for consistency it shouldn't make a massive difference compared to 12 months ago, should it?
    For me personally this is my first year of dividends, so for me yes it does make a difference as I was never used to the prevous arrangements you mention.

EDIT: This is not just about a feel good factor or whether we people are going to whinge. The collective tax regime in place has affected our big life decision such as where to work and live. These are people's real lives (and in this and many cases, their families too).
    It might not be wealthy but it presumably is still better than paying 20% tax on the whole amount of income?
    Are you talking PAYE? If so that comparison isn't really valid in this category.
    I'm a shareholder/director of a limited company receiving dividends, not a PAYE employee receiving income. I believe that corporation tax of 20% tax is already paid on it.

It's better than other options - yes - that's why we're doing it :-)
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    There's a lot of scope to raise the 7.5%. To compare marginal total tax rate of employment vs profit from ltd company.
    Lower Rate (20%): 40% vs 26%
    Higher Rate (40%): 49% vs 46%

Can you explain where those figures come from i.e. what they are made up of, so we can see whether it's equivalent.

Our limited company has costs that don't apply to PAYE employees.
    For example many contractors would be economically mobile and live away from home.
    If there is to be a discussion on equivalence then it needs to take account of those kind of things.

Personally I think we need to be very careful what we dis-incentivise.
    For example dis-incentivising a load of GPs from working after 55 because of the pension LTA is daft.

I'm reasonably emotionally detached, but if we are dis-incentivised from running a limited company then we will simply not do it, then you'll have skills shortages.
  • theEnd
    theEnd Posts: 851 Forumite
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Can you explain where those figures come from i.e. what they are made up of, so we can see whether it's equivalent.

Our limited company has costs that don't apply to PAYE employees.
    For example many contractors would be economically mobile and live away from home.
    If there is to be a discussion on equivalence then it needs to take account of those kind of things.

I'm only looking a comparable marginal tax rates. Difference in expenses and compensation for risk, I would expect to be reflected in a higher charge to the client, rather than a reduced tax rate.

Here's my calcs:

Lower Rate Employee
    £100 - Employee Pays
    £12.12 - ENI
    £17.57 - Tax
    £10.54 - NI
    40.2% - Total Marginal Tax Rate

Higher Rate Employee
    £100 - Employee Pays
    £12.12 - ENI
    £35.14 - Tax
    £1.75 - NI
    49.0% - Total Marginal Tax Rate

Lower Rate Divd
    £100 - Client Pays
    £20 - Corp Tax
    £6 - Divd Tax
    26.0% - Total Marginal Tax Rate

Higher Rate Divd
    £100 - Client Pays
    £20 - Corp Tax
    £26 - Divd Tax
    46.0% - Total Marginal Tax Rate
  • takesyourchances
    takesyourchances Posts: 828 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 March 2017 at 6:50PM
    I have a few investment trusts and income funds that I am building up as a separate portfolio for dividend income.

I am thinking for going forward before this increases in amounts to bed and breakfast it and start this in my S&S ISA along with my VLS and side funds and still treat the two as separate but it keeps them all in an ISA tax wrapper, would this be logical thinking?

The dividend amount is way below the £2000 at the moment in the fund and share account, but in time this will increase and there maybe future changes so thinking to deal with this now before it would become a problem down the line.

Thanks
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    For S&S You should surely take the tax advantage of filling ISA allowances before anything else - except maybe pension depending on employer contributions?
  • talexuser wrote: »
    For S&S You should surely take the tax advantage of filling ISA allowances before anything else - except maybe pension depending on employer contributions?

I just looked at the bed and breakfast option on HL and I could transfer the fund and share amount into my remaining ISA allowance, then be fresh from April.

I think I will act on this and take advantage of the tax shelter and not have to think problems arising once that pot would grow in the fund and share, I will still treat them as separate portfolios but within the same ISA wrapper. Going to get this acted on :)

Thanks
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 March 2017 at 8:02PM
    theEnd wrote: »
    I'm only looking a comparable marginal tax rates. .....

... so you are presenting quite a partial view, don't you agree?

Rather than "clients", it should be "profits", and rather than "Employee Pays" (which I think was meant to be "Employee Paid" or "Employer Pays") it should be "Employee Benefits" - including the free provision of a workplace, paid leave, a subsidised pension etc. etc.

Take these things into account and the comparison will be both fairer - and radically different.

And that's before you take into account that SMEs (Small and Medium-sized Enterprises) - like lisyloo's - create work for at least one person - typically more.

The real point is that there has been an unwritten compact between SMEs and governments of all persuasions that SMEs are a "good" thing and so to be rewarded with a slacker tax regime. It is astonishing - at least to me - to see a Conservative government attempting to rip that compact to pieces.
  • theEnd
    theEnd Posts: 851 Forumite
    polymaff wrote: »
    ... so you are presenting quite a partial view, don't you agree?

Rather than "clients", it should be "profits", and rather than "Employee Pays" (which I think was meant to be "Employee Paid" or "Employer Pays") it should be "Employee Benefits" - including the free provision of a workplace, paid leave, a subsidised pension etc. etc.

Sorry, typo. Should be "Employer Pays"

I'm ignoring the "Employee Benefits" as they're nothing to do with taxation. You charge the client more than they'd pay in wages to compensate for those things and on both sides, they're excluded before taxation takes place. To follow that through on my previous examples:

Higher Rate Employee
    £150 - Total Cost to Employer
    £50 - Various costs (pension, workspace, insurance, holiday....)
    £12.12 - ENI
    £87.88 - Total Salary Received by Employee
    £35.14 - Tax
    £1.75 - NI
    49.0% - Total Marginal Tax Rate

Higher Rate Divd
    £150 - Total Charge to Client
    £50 - Various costs (pension, workspace, insurance, holiday....)
    £100 - Total Profit
    £20 - Corp Tax
    £26 - Divd Tax
    46.0% - Total Marginal Tax Rate

In this example I'd expect a Ltd company to charge £150/hour vs an Employee Salary of £87.88/hour. At the stage taxation kicks in (Profits vs Salary + ENI) they're both £100.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure