Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 16th Aug 11, 12:00 PM
    • 5,581Posts
    • 45,791Thanks
    Igamogam
    Have grasped the nettle..........now to deal with the ensuing rash. Part The Third !
    • 16th Aug 11, 12:00 PM
    Have grasped the nettle..........now to deal with the ensuing rash. Part The Third ! 16th Aug 11 at 12:00 PM
    Part 9 FFS! - when I question do I really need MSE anymore If you dont what to plough through the whole sorry tale just jump to post 1094

Part 8 - and now into 2015 with a bit more determination!

If you are dropping in here for the first time you could skip to post 914 which takes you to plans for 2015! I like to keep all my diary together rather than being a serial new diary starter! I am a slow burner and a bit of a procrastinator but 2014 was a good year for reducing the debt and I feel a bit more in control of things.......onwards and upwards

Part 7 - reassessment and re-evaluation - starts posts 798
    Which is what happens when you realise your debt hasn't decreased by much despite lots effort and your health is threatened.
    Part 6 begins on post 586!
    There can be found a list of goals for 2014!
    And now part 5..............
    My life revolves around an academic calendar so I always feel at this time of the year I get another bite at the cherry of New Year Resolutions.......lucky me So with that in mind I have been running things through my head again so skip through if you wish to last page to see where I got to

Part 4 - would you believe!
    As I am purist and like to keep al my thoughts in one place then I am just updating the first post of my rambling diary. Skip to the last page to avoid the being bored! I am not quite sure what happened to 2012...........I have stutterered and stumbled along with 'stuff 'getting in the way and stingers been thrown across my path. The last 3 months have been bl00dy hell - work related bl00dy hell. And yet despite it all the debt has gone down although not as much as I had hoped. New Year resolutions apart I am determined to make more of a dent in this debt thing this year - just need to get over its an odd numbered year and I dont like odd numbers - think its my only wierdy foible So jump forward to post 342 - I have jotted down a few ideas there on how I am going to tackle things in 2013 including colouring squares - oops another wierdy thing

Have grasped the nettle..........now to deal with the ensuing rash. Part The Third for the rest of 2012!!!!!!!!!

Head in the sand for too long so I am off again. If you are new then really you can skip to the last page unless you really want to read my burbles of the last 12 months or so....... Anyway here I am again and rather than start a shiny new thread and deny I was ever going to get myself sorted I thought I would just jump back on here,bring it up to date and hopefully start again without too many 'what ifs' and if onlys'! So jump to post 246 with me and lets get started again

Below is where I started 12 months ago or so and my New Year kick-start......if you are interested only!

I am going to kick-start my DFW diary again, rather than start a new one for 2012. I did have my LBM back in the summer and it was a bit of a slow low energy one – all which documented below if you really wanted to wade through it. I really did grasp the nettle - armfuls and I really did make inroads but as many on these forums say it’s a roller coaster ride; high and lows with accompanying enthusiasm. A couple of unexpected bills and a bit of a drawn out illness ( I don’t do poorly very well) floored me for a while so I took a back seat and decided to lurk and follow and post sometimes on others fascinating journeys, picking up tips and inspiration along the way. I can honestly say we haven’t ended the year any worse off…..well if I sat down and did the figures I would have a better picture. We have certainly curbed our spending a bit and cut back in some areas. I have got a clearer picture now of how I am going to tackle all this……………….

2012 I feel will be a strange year for me which I will expand on no doubt as I post more. I am more determined now, than I was back in August to, ‘deal with the rash’. Tomorrow I will post my plans, lists, lists of lists and hopes for the new year. I am happy to babble to myself but also happy to listen to others, so pop in if you want.

Just leaves me to say Blwyddyn Newydd Dda pawb. Happy New Year everybody. Here’s to 2012

BELOW IS WHERE I STARTED IN AUGUST 2011. Skip to post 96 for the 2012 start

Until yesterday I hadn’t had a LBM, more of a low energy dim glow type moment. It’s been there in the background, that I really needed to get a grip with the finances. Being in education this is a good time of year the ‘new year’ in September always feels like a second chance at resolutions
    So I found myself here. I joined a couple of ‘fun challenges’ just to keep me focussed and started reading other people stories. Lots seemed to start with a declutter and that is now well under way – the ‘purge’ has been quite energising I have to say and is a work in progress!
    Yesterday had been designated paperwork day and I knew this would be when it hit home just how bad it was. Sitting in the garden with the cats chasing butterflies I sifted through the paper,filed,recycled,shredded and finally reached for the calculator. That was when the 150w bulb switched on. On a gloriously warm day I was suddenly very cold and then felt strangely excited………very odd. Last night was not sleepless and this morning I began to worry that I wasn’t taking all this seriously enough. Now I feel quite calm. I am sure its because I have finally decided to deal with it. No looking back and slipping into bad habits. There are ways and means to get rid of the rash and I am determined to do it.
    I have decided that I will not be putting the figures on here. I will keep my own record and possibly write up the percentage my debt has reduced every now and then. However if you are interested here is a flavour: Including my mortgage, rounded up debt is 38000. Mortgage will be finished in 3 years and is a joint debt with my OH so I will not be including it in my DF efforts. The 150w moment? My CC debts are bigger than the outstanding mortgage that’s what made me shudder.
    Well, the opening page to my DFD; first step and I feel confident I will add to it when I can and I hope you will pop in now and then to see how things are going
    Last edited by Igamogam; 10-01-2016 at 1:33 PM. Reason: UPDATING FOR 2016
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat'
Page 71
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 30th Jul 18, 6:37 PM
    • 5,581 Posts
    • 45,791 Thanks
    Igamogam
    So I accidentally knocked over my oversized whiskey bottle which was almost full of coppers - smashed to pieces I couldnt move it for 2 days - in the office/study in the corner so not causing a problem )as I was really upset ! I have had it a long time having acquired it during a significant part of my life and it has moved around with me for the last 30 plus years!! Full it holds about 55 of 1p and 2p coins and takes a while to fill - the rule being it has to be full before its emptied Anyway I cleared it up after reflecting on was it a metaphor for the this stage of my life.... or maybe an omen or message from the universe and counted and bagged up about 35.
    Today I took it to the bank and thought I would pay it against a CC. I am met with only 10 bags allowed *roll eyes* I know NWide limits and now Loids Of course I asked why - 35 bags of change is blimmin heavy after all - and was told it was because it takes too long. There are only 2 cashiers. They dont want queues..........I pointed out there were only 2 customers in the bank. There were 3 members of staff but only 2 desks open and were banks now refusing to handle hard cash........needless to say I paid it all in - think I have said before, awkward is my middle name!

After this I decided I was destined to be a thorn in the side of over counter banking so I got onto f88cycle and am now the proud owner of another over sized whiskey bottle....and the first few coppers have been thrown in. Any thoughts of being a sign/metaphor now all gone!
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 8th Aug 18, 11:07 AM
    • 5,581 Posts
    • 45,791 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Spent a very hot long weekend at a Music Festival - now home cleaned and put away only to start packing for another week away next week - its not been a frugal month but I have spent years thinking I couldn't do these things - due to financial constraints - only to realise over the last couple of years the rest of my family think other wise and I have been effectively subbing them!! Bit of a slow burner......but its also been part of the the autoimmune disorder I have, that I now treat myself, that was left unrecognised/undiagnosed/ignored or just explained away by a series of GPs for YEARS - crippling exhaustion,memory problems ( really thought I has early onset Alzheimers at one point) an lots of other issues which meant I just 'existed' to go to work and keep house and home together and I think has gone a long way to explain how the debt almost got out of control..........so I am making up for lost time Going to pay for when when I look at the bank balance and the bills! However no CCs have increased - the one I have used is being paid off tomorrow. I am still managing to keep to 60 a week for food and household stuff.........we are not wanting for anything. when I get back we will be eating out of stores and freezer for a couple of weeks until payday!! Speaking of which rumour has it we have finally been awarded a pay rise....hmmm will believe it when I see it!

So nothing really to report other than I am plodding on. Filling the change boxes and hammering down the debt as much as possible
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 18th Aug 18, 11:17 AM
    • 5,581 Posts
    • 45,791 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Back from a few days away - couldn't really afford it and put half on CCs but I had to get away and feel as if I have had a holiday. All my holidays have always been almost exclusively self catered - in that I catered,washed, cleared, tidied,packed and unpacked and kept everybody happy making sure they got to do what they wanted. I have got to a point in life that I would like a bit of luxury! Anyway good time was had and also caught with DD2 at same time Going to do a mad Eb*y purge now and various other selling streams to get some of the money back.........will pay CC out of EF in the meantime
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 20th Aug 18, 9:33 AM
    • 5,581 Posts
    • 45,791 Thanks
    Igamogam
    So today is the day........hmmm. Spent the weekend recovering from hitting an energy sapping wall! Decided to give in and not do much. OH starting with a cold and being miserable about returning to work - I still have 2.5 weeks off and he should be really use to that by now. DD2 and her BF are self sufficient so they have been out working hard or out playing hard after work - outdoor types with boundless energy..think I was like that once which left me to just look after myself over the weekend Caught up with life admin and a friend who I haven't seen for a long time and who is having a bit of roller coaster time ATM but other than that, just did NOTHING all weekend!!

Everybody out at work now so once I have seen to the cat who is fussing round - obviously no one gave him his 'breakfast' and caught up with the local paper I am going to start on the post holiday/ pre return to work purge
    Last edited by Igamogam; 20-08-2018 at 9:35 AM.
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 1st Sep 18, 2:06 PM
    • 5,581 Posts
    • 45,791 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Found a chque for 20 when going through some paperwork. A year old but I have banked it...every little helps and all that. Have got back onto the PPI trail after the TV reminders last week of only a year to go. I was turned down 12 months ago on 3 but I have got back in touch and told them I was not happy..........they said I only had six months to complain of outcome but I pushed the point and they have reluctantly started the ball rolling again........we will see......nothing ventured nothing gained. Also found in paperwork some old WH Sm!th paper vouchers 20 worth. Rang customers services and they said that I can still use them - must be 20 years old! Going to treat myself to a decent academic diary
    Last edited by Igamogam; 01-09-2018 at 8:03 PM.
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 2nd Sep 18, 1:43 PM
    • 5,581 Posts
    • 45,791 Thanks
    Igamogam
    September always heralds a New year for me.........and this year I am kinda looking for inspiration! I shall keep on plodding with all the things I know need doing but I really need a kick up the arris to speed it up a bit. Maybe something will happen that will 'be a sign'or indication of what I need to do next. Feeling a bit pfff........on going knee issues not helping. Have a hospital appt this week so I hope to have some answers and or solutions!
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 2nd Sep 18, 3:18 PM
    • 5,581 Posts
    • 45,791 Thanks
    Igamogam
    OK. So I added it all up......that was the kick I needed!. No better no worse than 12 months ago - which means I have over spent.....there have been some hefty expenditures this year. However If I pay off at the rate I am doing now, and I over pay everything, then it will be gone in 4 years.........hmmm. I am going to work on getting that figure down so that will be my new focus Its focus that I need really.........I know what to do
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

187Posts Today

975Users online

Martin's Twitter