Awarded pip out of nowhere?!

Comments

• Danday
    Danday Posts: 436 Forumite
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if a talk at home would be classed as therapy tbh. Has this been recommended by a medical professional? Also how long do these talks last for and how often?

That's a good point raised.

Does counselling count as therapy when it was authorised by my GP? The sessions lasted for 25 weeks and up to 2 hours for each one. Then there is the psychology appointments for years every week, then the bi weekly meetings with an CPN/OT to try to regain some level of normal life.
    I have to be honest I have never mentioned any of the above to the DWP in the past either for DLA or PIP.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,844
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 8 April 2018 at 2:30PM
    Danday wrote: »
    That's a good point raised.

Does counselling count as therapy when it was authorised by my GP? The sessions lasted for 25 weeks and up to 2 hours for each one. Then there is the psychology appointments for years every week, then the bi weekly meetings with an CPN/OT to try to regain some level of normal life.
    I have to be honest I have never mentioned any of the above to the DWP in the past either for DLA or PIP.
    No. As Alice pointed out in a previous post it must be for at least 3.5 hours per week. Any therapy must be done at home to have any chance of scoring any points for this descriptor.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Please don't keep feeding it guys, especially on someone else's thread. ;)
  • Danday
    No. As Alice pointed out in a previous post it must be for at least 3.5 hours per week. Any therapy must be done at home to have any chance of scoring any points for this descriptor.
    I agree that each one lasted for approx. 2 hours but would it not be appropriate, as they were all for the same condition and reason, if they were added together? The counselling and the CPN/OT ones which totalled approx. 4 hours a week were indeed carried out in my home. Only the psychology ones - EMD and others, were carried out in a hospital setting.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,920
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 8 April 2018 at 3:11PM
    I class standard care as 'nothing'..............
    ............ So yes, what I have been offered is nothing compared to what I expect.

Odd definition of nothing.
    £2,894 per year with the potential for a carer to claim a further £3,359 per year.
    In total, roughly equivalent to the basic Old state pension.

To the OP - one thing to be aware of is the tribunal will review the whole award.
    So it could go up, stay the same, or be removed.
    The latter is very, very unlikely in your circumstances but you do need to be mindful of this.

The figures above are your current award. If you live alone it may be possible to claim SDP (rather than someone claiming carers allowance for you)
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/severe-disability-premium

Scraping the bottom of the barrel with that explanation of his inconsistencies and contradictory stories.
    Rather disappointing, I thought he would come up with something better then that!

Sorry Boris.
    But it does alert the OP to the value of his posts.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Danday
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    Odd definition of nothing.
    £2,894 per year with the potential for a carer to claim a further £3,359 per year.
    In total, roughly equivalent to the basic Old state pension.

Scraping the bottom of the barrel with that explanation of his inconsistencies and contradictory stories.
    Rather disappointing, I thought he would come up with something better then that!

Sorry Boris.
    But it does alert the OP to the value of his posts.

Carers Allowance cannot be put into payment due to receiving the SP. It would however give an increase to the PC award of something like £1600 a year. not £3359 a year
    However £2894 a year is nothing in comparison to the £7280 a year that should be in payment.
    ;Nothing' does not necessarily mean zero, it is also terminology when comparing it with a much larger amount. It's like saying that cigs cost me £7.69 a day which may seem high for some, but when compared to the cost of alcohol and entertaining (which I do neither now) it is nothing by comparison.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 8 April 2018 at 3:36PM
    Carers Allowance cannot be put into payment due to receiving the SP. It would however give an increase to the PC award of something like £1600 a year. not £3359 a year
    However £2894 a year is nothing in comparison to the £7280 a year that should be in payment.
    ;Nothing' does not necessarily mean zero, it is also terminology when comparing it with a much larger amount. It's like saying that cigs cost me £7.69 a day which may seem high for some, but when compared to the cost of alcohol and entertaining (which I do neither now) it is nothing by comparison.

To be honest I am beginning to see why you are struggling with form completion.

It is hugely important that ESA/PIP/any forms are filled in accurately. With your lazy use of language £2k plus is nothing - the confusion over if/when you claimed PC etc - it's pretty apparent that you seriously need some help with claiming in the future.

You are where you are - you are getting help with your MR from CAB. But, going forward, seek support with your ESA/PIP forms. You'll save yourself and, more importantly, us a lot of stress and drama..

And, for those reading this thread with forms to complete. Please look to an advice agency/support group for help if you have any doubts/hesitations about how to do it.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,844
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I agree that each one lasted for approx. 2 hours but would it not be appropriate, as they were all for the same condition and reason, if they were added together? The counselling and the CPN/OT ones which totalled approx. 4 hours a week were indeed carried out in my home. Only the psychology ones - EMD and others, were carried out in a hospital setting.
    I'm not even sure why you're asking this now, as you say you never even included this on any of your forms. As you didn't do that it's irrelevant now anyway. I have no idea why you would choose not to include something like Mental health in either of your claims. I have to admit a lot of the time your posts really do make me shake my head and wonder......
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'm not even sure why you're asking this now, as you say you never even included this on any of your forms. As you didn't do that it's irrelevant now anyway. I have no idea why you would choose not to include something like Mental health in either of your claims. I have to admit a lot of the time your posts really do make me shake my head and wonder......

Yes indeed Poppy.

The inaccuracies and contradictions become more and more obvious.

It is worrying that this is someone who feels confident about advising others on this forum.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite

Do you have a link to the rule that says pensioners can't have someone claim carers allowance for looking after them? I doubt it, because it's simply not true.

Given that says he has a level of input people with even the most serious mental health problems can only dream of, it's amazing that he's never included them in his benefit claims.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure