looking for a specific doctor's letter if anyone had any ideas?

Comments

• jasonwatkins
    jasonwatkins Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    k3lvc wrote: »
    She got 50-1 odds and presumably got to sign her own letter

You've been offered 2-1 and haven't a letter yet

Thankyou Captain Obvious ..
  • To turn the problem around, how do you motivate yourself generally?

I only ask as it comes across as the potential winnings being the motivation rather than the losing of the weight (which is why most of us have pointed out that losing the weight this way isn't necessarily the best way for long term benefits)

If you can answer that one then you may have found an alternative - though I think you're so fixated on doing it this way that anything anyone suggests will be dismissed.
  • jasonwatkins
    I have no problem admitting that winning the money is my motivation for doing this because I know it will work.

I've always had problems with motivation in general so if I find something that, for want of a better thing to say, ticks certain boxes or appeals to me in a certain way then I go with it.

The fact that I will not be offered another bet after this is also something i'm fully aware of and something I would certainly address over the course of the year.

But we're going down the road again of everyone projecting their own idea of what I should be doing which I fully expected.

The whole point of that last link I posted was to show that if this is such a terrible idea that no doctor would ever sign off on, why did an actual doctor do it ?
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You say it!!!8217;s not your own money that will be lost if you do it as your relative is lending to you and your paying it back over the year. That!!!8217;s still your money your loosing anyways.

I find it bizarre you say you will be the last ever person to have this type of bet. Hmmm how do you know that.

How will they verify you lost the weight exactly. A year is long time what if you loose the betting slip or it gets damaged.
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    People can only change when they are ready to change. No matter what is out there to help them motivate it!!!8217;s down to the person not because there!!!8217;s money at steak
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• jasonwatkins
    Sncjw wrote: »
    I find it bizarre you say you will be the last ever person to have this type of bet. Hmmm how do you know that.

Because, up until a few hours ago, I believed that the market for the weight loss bets had been closed. I've since found out that it has not, so i likely will not be the last one.
    How will they verify you lost the weight exactly. A year is long time what if you loose the betting slip or it gets damaged.

The bet will be registered on William Hill's system, so there's no chance it will be "forgotten".

The weight loss will be verified by a medical professional which will be far easier to do than getting the letter as they'll simply be signing off on how much I weigh rather than committing to anything.
    People can only change when they are ready to change. No matter what is out there to help them motivate its down to the person not because theres money at steak

So people should only use one specific form of "pre-approved" motivation then ?
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,303 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Seems odd that they need a letter saying that you won't have surgery rather than one in a year's time saying you have not had any surgery, which might be simpler to get.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • jasonwatkins
    It's just a way of covering themselves in case i "cheat". If I were to suddenly find myself suitable for gastric band surgery and was offered it accordingly, I could not tell William Hill and i'd win the money because i'd lose the weight anyway.
  • halogen
    halogen Posts: 426 Forumite
    Your motivation will come from seeing the scales drop and the compliments that you'll get.
    I'm glad that works for you and you have found your motivation. According to the Dietician and nurse I have lost 1st over the past 6 months... I can't tell on my body, my clothes don't fit any different, no one has noticed, my joint pain is not any better and I'm not having more fun in life. So for me 'seeing the scales drop' is not motivating.
  • halogen wrote: »
    I'm glad that works for you and you have found your motivation. According to the Dietician and nurse I have lost 1st over the past 6 months... I can't tell on my body, my clothes don't fit any different, no one has noticed, my joint pain is not any better and I'm not having more fun in life. So for me 'seeing the scales drop' is not motivating.

I'll be honest I didn't lose a stone and think must go out and buy new clothes or people started noticing etc. Think I'd lost about 2 stone before people asked if I'd lost weight and have only recently bought a new wardrobe as, in the words of hubby, my clothes were being to look like sacks on me.

It does take time, especially if you've got a lot to lose

But it will happen - you just have to keep faith.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure