PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Whatever is going on in Cromer, of all places?
    Angie - GC April 24 £367.67/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Whatever is going on in Cromer, of all places?

Looks like the cause of the trouble has been identified - so, hopefully it will soon resolve itself so to say.

So - not terrorists then..
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 August 2017 at 9:56AM
    Sounds bad, doesn't it - and the local villages are named too, I've holidayed at Sheringham, which is a gorgeous little place.

ETA - Oh! With my "end of the world fiction" head on, is that how a zombie outbreak would first be reported :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Have just been looking online to see what actually DID cause the Cromer and Sheringham problems and it appears that a group of Travelers have set up camp with a couple of dozen motor homes in a prominent position in the town and that seems to be the source of the troubles besetting the communities there. Having had the same thing happen (but without the violence) here in the village some years ago all I can say is that local businesses including the one I worked in were inundated with large ladies and flocks of small children all with draw string bags and every business in the village lost considerable amounts of stock despite best efforts by staff to police the situation. It was pretty fraught and they stayed just a couple of weeks until they could be moved on and the local car park they'd set up in was left wrecked and full of all sorts of detritus and noxious rubbish. Poor Cromer, they have my heartfelt sympathy!
  • Exactly my conclusions - but decided not to say it because my name is MITSTM. So I might have been "clobbered" for it just because of that - whereas someone else saying the exact same thing on this thread would probably not be:cool:

Cynical - moi?
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The euphemism 'travelers' always tickles me.

The other day I saw a headline that airlines were to ban travelers from having more than two drinks on a flight.

I had visions of stewardesses telling burly Irishmen on planes they couldn't have another drink because they were 'travelers'. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 20 August 2017 at 11:42AM
    Freedom of speech is a wonderful democratic right, we don't all have to agree with what is said BUT each and every one of us have the right to say whatever they feel needs to be said. The right words help greatly and consideration for the sensibilities of other readers and posters must always feature in the mix and then there is discussion not dissent.

Feel free to 'clobber' me for anything if anyone wishes to, the information comes from Google and is freely available for anyone to read.
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    That is the problem when the majority are supposed to respect and accept the ways of the minority, but the minority don't return the compliment. Then, when the majority complain about the minority, the majority are made to look the bad guys. If you see what I mean.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 20 August 2017 at 5:49PM
    Am I alone in thinking that this poor old 'odd' world has over the past couple of months become even odder in all sorts of places and all sorts of ways? The political aspect of many previously 'reliable' countries has become skewed and inward looking, particularly in the USA where we are coming to expect the totally unexpected, unacceptable and unexplainable from their leaders, the whole of the east is rocky to say the least, N. Korea 'who knows?'. China looks economically strained at the moment, unrest in many other countries and Turkey again 'who knows?' Russia continues to flex muscles and do it's own thing with no predictability and Syria and all that entails from the regime in power to the terrorist Islamic groups seems a law unto itself. Brexit.....the squabble goes on between all politicians, the EU and the rest of Europe and even between the 'United (apparently not so) Kingdom' countries about what they want if/when it happens. We are in political stasis, nothing but turmoil and argument and hard words with no discernible movement forward Oh interesting times indeed!

When is the world, it's leaders and we mere mortals who inhabit it going to actually start to grow towards maturity and stop squabbling over trivialities and start to work all nations together to make it a safe and nurturing place for the coming generations to inhabit? surely that is a bigger, more noble and more worthy path to take than nationalism and war. We all breathe the same air so the climate belongs to all in terms of responsibility for improving it, we all need fresh water and nourishing food to stay alive so surely it's time to acknowledge that 'one size fits all' agricultural policies don't work, we all bleed and die no matter what the cause of wars so is it not time to put aside differences of all kinds and start to work together to heal this broken planet and all the beings on it, make a better future for all instead of threatening the very future of all of us with the aggression of these last few months?

Given the above, I'm going to write a list of changes to make in our lives to hopefully give us a little more security/stability in them going into this uncertain future. We're oldies, less to go than most of you but still wanting the quality of our lives to be as good as we can make it for as long as we have them and vested interest in all our futures because we have family and grandchildren who will have to live on beyond us and who will inherit the results of the actions we do or don't take now.

First and most pressing thing on my list is to find a smaller property closer to family to move to, I'm back up for the grandsons when they're poorly or when parents have commitments that take them away from home. House with a garden is first on the list them, I'll ponder the rest and let you know. What will you do???
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Am I alone in thinking that this poor old 'odd' world has over the past couple of months become even odder in all sorts of places and all sorts of ways?
    I think it has ... that doesn't necessarily mean something even bigger is about to happen ... but we're definitely going through a bit of a patch ...
    When is the world, it's leaders and we mere mortals who inhabit it going to actually start to grow towards maturity and stop squabbling over trivialities and start to work all nations together to make it a safe and nurturing place for the coming generations to inhabit?
    Thats a very idealistic question :Aand very sweet :):):)
    Given the above, I'm going to write a list of changes to make in our lives to hopefully give us a little more security/stability in them going into this uncertain future. We're oldies, less to go than most of you but still wanting the quality of our lives to be as good as we can make it for as long as we have them and vested interest in all our futures because we have family and grandchildren who will have to live on beyond us and who will inherit the results of the actions we do or don't take now.

First and most pressing thing on my list is to find a smaller property closer to family to move to, I'm back up for the grandsons when they're poorly or when parents have commitments that take them away from home. House with a garden is first on the list them, I'll ponder the rest and let you know. What will you do???
    I do have a list for that sort of thing, actually:
    - get the garden cleared of what I don't want, get topsoil and bark chippings on there, so that I have a clear run next year.
    - get probate admin of my mum's estate finished (that should be done next week).
    - house maintenance - just had a quote delivered from the one builder round here I trust: new loft hatch, soundproofing in alcoves on party wall, back wall repointed, new gate and fence to the back garden, brick shed to have asbestos removed and replaced with polycarbonate, well-fitting door installed. A little prepper's paradise (not :rotfl: - not a single waterbutt is actually installed, though there are two on the premises. One set of problems at a time!).
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family