PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2018 Fashion on the Ration challenge

Options

Comments

• Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    I worked for 3 months in 2006 in the South of France, and the only flights to that city were a measly 15kg baggage, which had to include my laptop (heavier in those days) and some textbooks, so I famously arrived with five pairs of knickers, two pairs of tights, one pair of trousers, two tops and a jumper, something like that... then I had to buy new clothes but with limited funds.

I went and sat at cafes and people-watched. I looked for anyone who I thought looked particularly good and tried to work out why, and I looked for anyone my build and tried to work out what looked good about them.

My conclusions were different from yours :) I thought the women WERE better dressed than British women, and I concluded it was because they were all dressed in the mid-range of style, regardless of price.

i.e. if slobbing about in bed starkers with unkempt unwashed hair is 1, and the full floor-length gown, elbow-length gloves and tiara for a red-carpet premiere is 10, then French women seem to be consistently around the 6-8 mark. British women seem to be either at the 2-4 mark or else at the 12 mark.

Examples of what i mean: if I saw a French woman in the supermarket who wore jeans then she'd have really good jeans that fitted her properly, in a good fabric, and they would be worn with a belt, with a really crisp ironed shirt or a really good top, which would be tucked in or belted, defining the waist even on fat women (and yes, fat Frenchwoman do exist, they just look better). Her hair would be clean, brushed, and she'd have a gorgeous necklace or a colourful scarf tied round her neck, that kind of casual but stylish thing. She'd wear colourful cotton espadrilles, or clean white sneakers, or clean polished shoes.
    Whereas when I came back to Britain, if I saw a women wearing jeans in the supermarket, they'd be cheap jeans looking cheap, they'd be a bad fit, often falling off saggily. She'd be wearing them with a huge loose old stained oversize t-shirt or sweatshirt hanging shapelessly down to her hips, and often with slippers or flipflops making her walk in a shuffle. Her greasy hair would be scragged back into a ponytail, unbrushed, and her overall appearance would be pretty bad.

That was the 2-4 range, but the 12? Didn't i say it was 1 to 10, so how can someone be a 12? Well the women in Britain seem to enjoy dressing up far beyond the average French woman - think 'Dorian' from Birds of a Feather, or Bet Lynch from Corrie... sequins, incredibly heavy make-up, back-combed dyed hair, everything very very tight and incredibly low-cut, with poorly-fitted underwear giving that weird four-breasted appearance.

That's all wildly generalising, but it really made me think.

Instead of looking middlingly-good virtually all the time, it seemed to me that in Britain women make a massive effort *when they go out* and not much effort in between at all.

That was a dozen years ago now, but I think it's still reasonably accurate.

My life has changed out of all recognition in that time and now, as I approach 50, I am actively working on not owning any slobby unattractive clothing. When I want to lounge around lazily, I have a couple of pairs of really nice pyjama trousers in good fabric that are a proper fit on me, both comfy and looking right. I wear those with a pretty crushed-velvet silk camisole in summer, or with a deep-pink chenille cowl-neck jumper in winter.
    Slowly, after some years where I sadly felt I didn't deserve nice things, and after a drastic change to a place where I now understand just how much i DO deserve nice things!, I'm getting rid of things that are in the 2-4 range, and going back to my 2006 way of thinking, of adding touches to even the most casual and comfy of outfits so that even if I just wear jeans, even at my plump size, I wear them well.
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    monnagran wrote: »
    I can relate to this. When I was growing up in the forties and fifties, the only reason for getting a new item of clothing was that the old one was very old and worn out or you had grown out of it and it was due to be passed on.

We usually had one outfit for best, you could recognise people in church by their outfit. This, when starting to wear out, was demoted to work-wear. When it was even too shabby to seen in public it would be covered with an overall and used for housework or gardening.
    The only deviation from this was that you could have a winter set and a summer set.

The idea of actually having a choice of clothes didn't really start until the late fifties.

I have come back to this post three times now - thankyou for posting it!

I'm currently spending all five weeks of October travelling several hundred mils by pre-dawn train each Monday to spend three days working tutoring with small groups, and then home on the Thursday. So I have to travel light - each week I've had one skirt, one jumper or cardigan and one pair of shoes, and I've had changes of long-sleeved cotton t-shirt, changes of undies, and otherwise my outfit has stayed the same.

THIS IS WHAT MEN DO FOR WORK ALL THE TIME!!!!!

It's not even that they are the same people seeing me each day; totally different clients on each day, the Tuesday people don't know the Wed people, etc. So even if they felt I "ought" to wear different outfits for each session, I am, as I'm varying it each week!

The most difficult thing has been dealing with temperatures as we've had the stormy wet weather and the unusually hot midweek - days with a maximum of 20 degrees, days with a maximum of 9 degrees...! But layering helps a lot.

So I've been really thinking about how much I need what clothes, if that makes sense. Having several cardigans helps, and having different skirts helps - and I enjoy wearing different things, I admit.

But I am starting to think that maybe one thing to aim for is that the tops i wear *under* the cardis maybe should be more neutral so they go with all my different skirts and cardis... more greys, more creams, more navy or black even.

This is such a tangled thing, isn't it? We're taught that clothes "make" use better people, and if we feel low in our self-esteem we "need" to buy ourselves something to cheer us up... clothes are so bound up with emotions in some people - with others, they are bound up in identity, belonging to one or other social group...

I am slowly finding my way. I like full or A-line skirts, knee-length at the very shortest for summer or mid-calf for non-summer. I like fitted little cardigans and jumpers over them. I like petticoats (not the stiffened 50s-style net petticoats but old-fashioned ones I make myself with soft full 12-inch ruffles on the hem) to hold the skirts out without sticking out inconveniently. I like lace-up shoes, mid-heeled or brogues, often with ankle-socks and bare legs, but with long fine-wool stockings in cold weather. Long boots for the bitterest months.

And those are all unfashionable shapes and styles, but they suit me, I like them and feel right in them and people often seem to think I look nice in them.

So perhaps I should use my couponless 10 weeks that's left of 2018 to really work out what I do wear, what I don't wear - why I don't wear the latter and why I prefer the former - what i wear that only goes with on thing, what I wear that goes with lots of things, and then really consider what else I do or don't need.

I could even draw up a little checklist to keep with me for 2019 so that if I'm tempted to spend coupons on a whim, I can check first - what will this go with? How often will I wear it, and with how wide a range of things? What situations will I wear it for?
    And then I can think about whether I already have something that fills that set of requirements, which maybe I had forgotten about, or perhaps it needs a stain or mark tackled or perhaps it's simply tired and will be fine with a bit of needlework freshening it up.

My lovely aunt gave me two grey cashmere camisoles about 15 years ago (good cashmere, so they last!) but after 15 years, mostly worn against my skin in winter under other things, they were looking a bit tired. So I crocheted some fine lace onto the V-neckline of each, one in ivory laceweight Shetland, very soft and delicate, and the other in cream Shetland and some deep rich lapis-lazuli blue laceweight - I also went over them to check and reinforce any worn patches (none) and gave them a really good handwashing and a steam-pressing to 'set' the woollen lace, and they really looked like they were new.

So maybe I need to do more of that kind of thing... some of my long-sleeved cotton tops that were cheaper ones are looking saggy round the necklines, so perhaps a very narrow simple band of crochet lace in a dark toning colour would smarten them up a bit and make them fit better... hmmm
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • Sayschezza
    Options
    [QUOTE=monnagran;74910579

How's the black market in clothing coupons?[/QUOTE]

Costing me a fortune.
    PipneyJane wrote: »

When i wrote my post yesterday, I was thinking about - but couldn't verbalise - whether we've got a "cultural cringe" about fashion and, maybe, that's why the British buy so many clothes. We're never "good enough" and are always trying to live up to an impossible standard.

My downfall. Bordering on obsessional in this area.

Been following this thread with interest.
    All that clutter used to be money
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    This is so interesting - I didn't know about the 'long fibres' thing, but have noticed that some modern fabrics just don't seem to wear as well as the old stuff.

Laura doing Marie-Kondo helped me to get rid of the scruffy stuff that I used to wear around the house, like you even if I'm just chillin' at home I try to wear something I feel good in.

Your description of your personal style is really interesting, I like the sound of what you're wearing. I don't think I could define my style so clearly. However, and I've probably mentioned this before, if I'm buying something I try and do the 'three' check - are there three other things in my wardrobe that this would go with? And can I picture three occasions when I'll wear this (of course, sometimes that is 'work, work and work').

I am going to try and start a list of gaps that I'd like to fill in my wardrobe, because I'm almost exclusively shopping at CSs it is sometimes a case of hunting for weeks to find the right item. In order to do this, I need to work out what my 'ideal' wardrobe would contain. An interesting exercise which will make me think about my personal style.

I've had a crisis this weekend and used nearly all my remaining coupons, but I'll post about that tomorrow!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Sayschezza
    Options
    I have always been interested in the ration book years and just how little everyone owned compared with today. Laura has written such interesting posts that has set me wondering about style as during the ration book years people didn't have much choice in personal style as there was so little available.
    Leading on from that there does seem to be an unwritten uniform for SAHMs as most seem to wear jeans these days. Me, well now as I am a lot older lady the clothes I go for are invariably classic and ones that most youngsters would class as office wear. It's very difficult to move away from the style of my heyday while still trying to look up to date. Hence the aspirational spending looking for just the right item that will make this little short fat elderly lady look and feel the best she can.

My apologies for hijacking the thread.
    All that clutter used to be money
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Not hijacking at all, I think there was far less choice during wartime and in some ways that made it easier! As has been said above, people were used to having only a couple of outfits. I think these days we are used to changing our clothes more often (and washing them more often) and so the idea of having only a couple of blouses or jumpers feels odd. But I could in all honesty probably go for three weeks wearing a different top every day without having to do any washing, and I'm not sure that is necessary!

I work from home, I do wear jeans a lot and I think I look ok in them, taking account of the excess pounds I am also wearing! I usually pair them with a fleece in winter, but I will not be buying any more of those because of the micro plastics, although I will go on using the ones I own. So perhaps I shall start looking for sweaters, knitted tops and so on instead.

For meeting clients or going out with friends I usually wear boots, a short skirt with opaque tights, and a top/T-Shirt/cardigan combination. I think I have plenty of those. (I hardly ever wear skirts unless I can wear boots with them, because I am a bit embarassed about my varicose veins) I don't really think I need any new clothes at all, but inevitably I sometimes look in the wardrobe and feel a bit tired of the things I have. My mum, who was a young woman during the war, would probably have been overwhelmed to have as many outfits as I have. Food for thought.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • CapricornLass
    Options
    Hi, just discovered this thread, and I've read it through with great interest. I've been trying to spend less on clothes this year, and I've just done a quick tot-up - I'm the equivalent of 4 coupouns over (bought a pair of walking shoes, so I counted that as 7 coupons)

I've started knitting again too this year. I made a waistcoat out of yarn that I had left over from another project two years ago, but I've bought yarn a month ago to make myself another jumper using a pattern I found in one of the Knitting in Vogue books. Date of pattern - 1942! :rotfl:
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035. Fashion on the Ration: 24/66 coupons spent.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I did read somewhere that if you were short you should wear skirts that were either very short or long. Therefore my skirts are long - to cover my tree trunk legs. I also wear trousers, although I probably shouldn't.
    As I am kissing 80 my clothes are comfortable, if they are attractive as well it is more by accident than design.

This is also the reason that I am so familiar with rationing. I have experienced it first hand.
    One thing has served me well, when I went to Grammar School in 1950 the Needlewok teacher, who was inspirational, had a big banner pinned across the board in her room. It said, "SIMPLICITY IS THE ESSENCE OF GOOD TASTE."
    This has been my guiding star throughout my life.
    Hence although I have only 2 looks, bag lady and presentable lady, they are both in the best of taste that the CS can produce.

That is how my coupons have survived almost untouched.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    That's a great principle to have in mind, Monnagran! I don't like 'fussy' clothes, I've always preferred fairly straight lines and classic outlines. I really want to be Grace Kelly but I don't have her figure. :rotfl:

I was doing really well, I thought I was going to finish the year with coupons in hand. Then to my dismay, I discovered that my best work trousers have a number of pulls in them. Jolly annoying, they are Jaeger (bought in a sale, of course!) but I remember being a bit disappointed at the cheap fabric, and I have clearly snagged it on something. While most of the time I can get away with everyday clothes, there is one element of my job that requires me to be bandbox smart, and I don't think these trousers are going to cut it.

I also realised that the lining of my best jacket has ripped, now I could repair that but the jacket has had quite a lot of wear. I've just picked up an online order, haven't tried it on yet to see if it fits but I may be spending most of my remaining coupons. I'm disappointed, not least because I didn't really want to spend any more money! I have tried to get suitable jackets and trousers from the CS, but it hasn't proved possible.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi, just discovered this thread, and I've read it through with great interest. I've been trying to spend less on clothes this year, and I've just done a quick tot-up - I'm the equivalent of 4 coupouns over (bought a pair of walking shoes, so I counted that as 7 coupons)

I've started knitting again too this year. I made a waistcoat out of yarn that I had left over from another project two years ago, but I've bought yarn a month ago to make myself another jumper using a pattern I found in one of the Knitting in Vogue books. Date of pattern - 1942! :rotfl:

Hi CapricornLass. All women's shoes and boots are 5 coupons, so you're only 2 coupons down not four.

I have the first two Knitting In Vogue books. Which pattern is it, please? (Ravelry doesn't have them all listed.)

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure