any housewives out there?

Comments

• ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    They employ a cleaner, stick the child/ren into childcare and generally hire people to do the jobs that would have been done by the housewife.

Or they just don't bother doing much housework or cooking and leave the kids to their own devices ;) Something has to give.

Many actually work twice as hard. One job at work, then start again at home...... Cooking / cleaning up after a 12 hour shift and making packed lunches at 11pm.
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • ska_lover wrote: »
    Many actually work twice as hard. One job at work, then start again at home...... Cooking / cleaning up after a 12 hour shift and making packed lunches at 11pm.

Yes, but is that sustainable? Effectively doing 2 jobs. Is that what the feminist movement wanted for women?
    Signature Removed by Forum Team ..thanks to somebody reporting a witty and decades-old Kenny Everett quote as 'offensive'!!
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 12 August 2018 at 3:32PM
    But where would it stop?
    We all, to some greater or lesser degree, employ people to do jobs that we are responsible for, as adults/parents/homeowners, but are unable (lack of skills, ability or time) or unwilling to do ourselves.
    If housewives were paid to mind their children or clean their own house etc, where would it end?
    Would people also expect to be paid to do their own gardening? Clean their own windows? Would people who service their own cars or do their own plumbing jobs expect to get paid for doing so?
    What about dressmaking? Knitting? Washing their own car? Etc etc

If you choose to have a child, ensuring the child is cared for is the responsibility of the parents. If they are unable or unwilling to do that on a full time basis themselves, they can employ someone else to do so for some of the time on their behalf. That doesn't, IMO, mean that people making a difference choice should be compensated financially for doing so.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • ska_lover
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Yes, but is that sustainable? Effectively doing 2 jobs. Is that what the feminist movement wanted for women?

Great question. I would hope that household chores are shared these days, between the couple.

It is tiring, sure. But people do what they need to do
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    ska_lover wrote: »

If they've got a partner - more fool them!
  • ska_lover
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 August 2018 at 5:20PM
    If they've got a partner - more fool them!

Oh i agree, as stated in another post that you omitted to quote ( post 15 the one above yours)

''I would hope that household chores are shared these days, between the couple.''

Most women would expect nothing less, and if they put up with it, exactly, more fool them
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    My other half is a 'house husband'. Would love him to get paid for looking after the house! ;)
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    ska_lover wrote: »
    Oh i agree, as stated in another post that you omitted to quote ( post 15 the one above yours)

''I would hope that household chores are shared these days, between the couple.''

Most women would expect nothing less, and if they put up with it, exactly, more fool them

Lots of people, like me, don't read to the end of the thread before replying but post as they go through.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Who exactly is supposed to pay these women for staying at home? I do hope it wouldn't be the taxpayer.

In my very short career as a 'housewife', I found it an absolute doddle. I could get all the housework done and still have heaps of time left over to be a lady what lunches, goes to coffee mornings or anything else I chose to do. There seem to be masses of groups that children can go along to for music or gymnastics or swimming or just playing while the mums gossip.

I appreciate that it might be different for those with lots of children or those with additional needs but generally speaking I'd say being a housewife with all the gadgets at our disposal today is a bit of a cop out of earning a living. The sad state of affairs though is that childcare is so expensive these days that it's often not cost effective for parents to work.
  • They employ a cleaner, stick the child/ren into childcare and generally hire people to do the jobs that would have been done by the housewife.
    No, they don't. I know enough families where both partners work that manage to do all the housework between them without buying in services and still engage with their children before and after school.

You have painted an entirely fallacious picture of family life where both partners work to further the agenda you wish to peddle.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure