Experiences of claiming pip on mental health grounds.

Comments

• Chouette
    Chouette Posts: 19 Forumite
    dori2o wrote: »
    I sincerely hope that you challenged the actions of the assessor and asked for MR at the very least, or if necessary took the matter to the Tribunals.
    Unfortunately I couldn't face a tribunal again, I've already had to attend two in the past. It seemed less hassle just to reapply after I'd managed to generate a claim that looked more convincing on paper.

I did write them a letter to say there had been some misunderstanding. I got a callback a few weeks later from them but I was so flustered by having the phone ring I told them I hadn't rung them, and they said "No need for a callback then" and hung up. It was only later that I realised it might have been a "call back" about the letter, rather than a callback returning a call... I do wonder what they were going to say.
  • benniebert
    benniebert Posts: 666 Forumite
    Chouette wrote: »
    Unfortunately I couldn't face a tribunal again, I've already had to attend two in the past. It seemed less hassle just to reapply after I'd managed to generate a claim that looked more convincing on paper.

I did write them a letter to say there had been some misunderstanding. I got a callback a few weeks later from them but I was so flustered by having the phone ring I told them I hadn't rung them, and they said "No need for a callback then" and hung up. It was only later that I realised it might have been a "call back" about the letter, rather than a callback returning a call... I do wonder what they were going to say.

In my opinion the DWP should never telephone a claimant even if a call back was requested.
    Everything should be put in writing.
    There can be no end of trouble with a claim, if someone who gets flustered on the phone is asked questions about their claim. Many will say the first thing that comes into their head, be it right or wrong.
    If someone rand me up and asked how am I, my immediate reply would be I'm OK thanks. In hindsight that could well be the wrong answer as it wasn't the full picture....I'm OK thanks, BUT..........
    With phone calls there is no evidence of what was said apart from the notes that the DWP make. I have seen these notes myself when I have asked for copies of my files. There was no way that what was recorded were my actual comments. They 'represented' what I said which was nothing more than someone putting pen to paper and recording what they thought/believed/remembered what they heard.
  • Not sure why you like to compare people to others with the same illness FBaby.

Many people are affected by the same illness in different ways. It is how it affects an individual. I'm not disputing that some people can continue living a fairly "normal" life, but not everyone can.

I also have never said that everyone with Bipolar or indeed any other illness be it mental health or physical problems should claim any benefits. That is down to the individual to make that call. My partner works with 2 people who have full time contracts who claim DLA. So it's not an out of work benefit.

Also I'm not remotely interested in whether you have worked in mental health. We are talking about how an illness affects each individual. In fact my original post was basically asking about other people's experiences of claiming pip on mental health grounds. Unfortunately it appears that it has drifted off topic quite a bit which is shame really.

As for indefinite awards, it would be interesting for some people to know the stats on that. Personally it is none of my business.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You are not making much sense, sorry. You don't seem to realise that I am saying exactly the same as you are, ie. not everyone is the same and it is about the individual.

That is EXACTLY my point, that indeed, it is not because you have one condition that everyone's needs are the same and therefore SOME will be able to cope and not require benefits whilst others won't.

If you agree that it is very much about the individual not the condition, then why do you want to know about the experience of other's with bipolar disorder since as you make the point yourself, their own experience might have nothing to do with yours.

Anyway, if you know you have genuine needs that requires additional funding, why are you so stressed? PIP is not a difficult benefit to get if you can show the evidence behind your claims.
  • the_devil_made_me_do_it
    the_devil_made_me_do_it Posts: 5,567 Forumite
    edited 7 April 2015 at 7:22PM
    If you ask most people regardless of illness why the form filling ect is stressfull, then you will probably find that they will say pretty much the same thing.

If you search through the threads on this forum alone, you will probably find great similarities between each person's responses. Many of the threads\replies are in regards to how stressful and distressing the whole process is.

An extra thought: why is filling a job application form so stressful. I've seen people nearly have a nervous breakdown because they find it so stressful. Same could be said about a job interview or sitting an exam.

Finally, my initial question was asking for other people with mental health problems what their experiences have been. I wasn't looking for people's responses who specifically had bipolar disorder. I was giving a very basic reason why I was asking in the first place.
  • benniebert

Finally, my initial question was asking for other people with mental health problems what their experiences have been. I wasn't looking for people's responses who specifically had bipolar disorder. I was giving a very basic reason why I was asking in the first place.

In that case, my experience has been zero. Why because I could never write down how I am in a honest way, describing a normal day without feeling bloody awful afterwards - (my normal way of explaining things is not to explain them but to gloss over everything)
    Would I want to put myself through that nightmare with the possibility of having to ask for a reconsideration and worst still, have to give verbal evidence at a Tribunal? No way, I can just about hold myself together as it is, I don't need to self inflict further problems.
    By the way I have been suffering for nearly 20 years.
  • densol_2
    densol_2 Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    benniebert wrote: »
    In that case, my experience has been zero. Why because I could never write down how I am in a honest way, describing a normal day without feeling bloody awful afterwards - (my normal way of explaining things is not to explain them but to gloss over everything)
    Would I want to put myself through that nightmare with the possibility of having to ask for a reconsideration and worst still, have to give verbal evidence at a Tribunal? No way, I can just about hold myself together as it is, I don't need to self inflict further problems.

You seem to do a VERY good job on these forums explaining things !
    Stuck on the carousel in Disneyland's Fantasyland :D

I live under a bridge in England
    Been a member for ten years.
    Retired in 2015 ( ill health ) Actuary for legal services.
  • benniebert
    densol wrote: »
    You seem to do a VERY good job on these forums explaining things !

Exactly - glossing over things. You won't find me moaning about all of my symptoms, side effects and needs. I ignore them. I am more likely than not to underplay them in order to justify why I SHOULD NOT make a claim for benefits.
  • densol_2
    densol_2 Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Exactly - glossing over things. You won't find me moaning about all of my symptoms, side effects and needs. I ignore them. I am more likely than not to underplay them in order to justify why I SHOULD NOT make a claim for benefits.

There is nothing wrong with claiming benefits if you qualify under the rules and its important not to put off other people who read these forums either!
    Stuck on the carousel in Disneyland's Fantasyland :D

I live under a bridge in England
    Been a member for ten years.
    Retired in 2015 ( ill health ) Actuary for legal services.
  • Parva
    Parva Posts: 1,104 Forumite

It feels like we have too Andy but do continue to pour your vitriolic views on the uninitiated here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure