Holiday Insurance- Can I do this?

Options
Been looking at holiday insurance as we are heading to Las Vegas for 2 weeks later this year.

Ive not had travel insurance since 4 years ago and I'm amazed at how high the quotes have come back.

Situation is that my husband is 11 years younger than me but its him that has the pre existing medical condition to declare.

Ive been reading the info on this site regarding travel insurance tips etc.

After reading the info I tried doing quotes based on 2 separate policies, one for hubby and one for me. Doing this I'm getting quotes for £40-60 for each of us. Putting us both on one policy returns quotes of a minimum of £190.

So obviously its a lot cheaper to insure us separately rather than on one policy.

Is there any catch or reason that I cant do it that way?

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    swingaloo wrote: »

Are you declaring your husbands medical condition on your policy?
    Presumably if he was seriously ill you'd not want to travel and therefore you need to declare it.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options

No. .
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Are you declaring your husbands medical condition on your policy?
    Presumably if he was seriously ill you'd not want to travel and therefore you need to declare it.

No, I'm not declaring my husbands medical condition on my policy as my policy would just be to cover me.

I'm declaring my husbands medical condition on his policy. Hes not seriously ill but is on medication so of course I'm declaring it.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Options
    No, I'm not declaring my husbands medical condition on my policy as my policy would just be to cover me.

But it covers you for things that might happen to other people.
    Your policy covers you if you partner (or in general any close family member) dies or is seriously ill and you wouldn't (usually) in that case wish to travel.

Be careful to check the questions/policy.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Options
    swingaloo wrote: »

I'm declaring my husbands medical condition on his policy. Hes not seriously ill but is on medication so of course I'm declaring it.

DId you read the medical declaration very caarefully on your policy, it would be unusual for it to not ask you to disclose medical conditions of a traveling companion
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    But it covers you for things that might happen to other people.
    Your policy covers you if you partner (or in general any close family member) dies or is seriously ill and you wouldn't (usually) in that case wish to travel.

Be careful to check the questions/policy.
    This ^^

You may find that you cannot claim for lost travel for yourself (on your policy) if your husband falls seriously ill as the result of a pre-existing condition, and cannot travel. Check the policy carefully.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    dacouch wrote: »
    DId you read the medical declaration very caarefully on your policy, it would be unusual for it to not ask you to disclose medical conditions of a traveling companion

Rather than ask for pre existing conditions of traveling companions don't they usually simply exclude them from cover in the cancellation/curtailment section??
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    Rather than ask for pre existing conditions of traveling companions don't they usually simply exclude them from cover in the cancellation/curtailment section??

Many do, but some will cover them for an extra premium.

I assume the OP is not bother by the risk of cancellation / curtailment etc if her partner has a problem due to heart or circulation as she seems dismisive as to whether it is a risk of flairing up
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Another thing to consider - If he does become unwell on the trip would you be able to cover costs involved with staying with him ?

My daughter had a fall 2 days before her return from Kenya . She had to have surgery and a 2 week hospital stay before she was repatriated by her insurance. Her Post Ofice policy also covered a +1 which meant the person who stayed with her had the accomodation and return flight paid for by the insurance .

Sometimes accidents happen which have nothing to do with any pre existing condition , had i not declared everything even those conditions that made no difference to her travel the policy would not had paid out , the very first call i got after reporting her accident was from someone checking out what her medical isues were .

In the end a £34 policy covered around £18k in costs !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure