Skinny Latte's Mortgage Mugging

Comments

• Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Glad you're finding the new washer drier useful - you really notice how quiet new washers are when you compare them to the one you've just got rid of! It's bliss!:)

Well done with the painting. You're better than me - I hate decorating - always get someone in to do it!:D
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Skinnylatte
    Skinnylatte Posts: 1,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud! Home Insurance Hacker!
    Glad you're finding the new washer drier useful - you really notice how quiet new washers are when you compare them to the one you've just got rid of! It's bliss!:)

Well done with the painting. You're better than me - I hate decorating - always get someone in to do it!:D
    I did think about getting a tradesperson in, but it's only 1 ceiling and 2 walls, how hard can that be!!

I do love Sunday mornings in bed, doing a bit of surfing!

This week, I took out a health plan through my business. As part of the sign up deal there's a free Apple watch. Although technically it's not free, you have to do exercise to get points, and if you get enough points you get cashback rewards which pays off the watch. I think I'll probably have to walk about 200 mile a month to make it pay, but cycling counts so it'll be interesting to see how it works! You can earn a free Starbucks drink a week, a FREE SkinnyLatte for exercising, now that it awesome!!

Paypal was working this morning, so I've transferred the balance over, there was a bit more than I thought as some of it was in $. £300 paid off the mortgage this morning, which brings this months total over payment to £425.16 which will save me £168 in interest. :j

My brother is coming over today, we're doing a 60 mile cycle sportive, it's hilly and very hot today so it'll be a tough one. I'd better go and hydrate and eat lots of carbs. I might even get a bit more painting in before he arrives.

Catch you laters.
    Pay off Car Loan £17,047 £10580 by Christmas 2022

Mortgage 1 @ 23/03/2019 [STRIKE]£101297[/STRIKE]
    £84457 16.6% DI [STRIKE]£6.95[/STRIKE] £6.15
    Mortgage 2 @ 12/04/2015 [STRIKE]£136121[/STRIKE]
    £100,546 26.1
    % DI [STRIKE]£9.13[/STRIKE] £6.07
    1st LBM 02/06/2013 £[STRIKE]21595[/STRIKE] Debt Free Day 27/03/2015

• Seasidegal58
    I did think about getting a tradesperson in, but it's only 1 ceiling and 2 walls, how hard can that be!!

My brother is coming over today, we're doing a 60 mile cycle sportive, it's hilly and very hot today so it'll be a tough one. I'd better go and hydrate and eat lots of carbs. I might even get a bit more painting in before he arrives.

You're a better person than me when it comes to decorating - I'd still get someone in!:rotfl:

Wow! You're very brave to ride in this heat! And you're attempting more painting too! Go Superskinnylatte!!!!!:T
    🌟
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I’ve been so tempted by that healthcare plan but I found it was too expensive for me annoyingly (even with the watch and Starbucks!) so
    I’m super jealous!

A free skinnylatte for skinny latte has tickled me somewhat!
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Skinnylatte
    edited 26 August 2019 at 10:15AM
    I’ve been so tempted by that healthcare plan but I found it was too expensive for me annoyingly (even with the watch and Starbucks!) so
    I’m super jealous!

A free skinnylatte for skinny latte has tickled me somewhat!

Yes it's not cheap, and I wouldn't have taken out a personal plan, but I've done it though my business as a 'perk'. Which I will have to pay tax on, but makes it it much more affordable. I've always had healthcare though previous jobs, but this new job doesn't offer it ( or a decent pension :( )
    I did get the maximum 8 points for my bike ride yesterday, and I need 12 a week to get a free starbucks drink, so should be fairly easy. Anyway we'll see how it goes, I can cancel if I don't find it good value for money.

Yesterdays cycle ride didn't go quite according to plan as I took a tumble. Nothing too dramatic, in fact it was probably quite funny to watch. I was a little shaken, and have a few minor cuts and bruises. So today I'm going to be sensible and rest up. Apart from more painting, and then I have a 3 hours drive to Suffolk for work in the morning. But apart from that I'm going to spoil myself today!

It was nice to see my brother and have a bit of a catchup. I have a story to tell you about brothers, but I'll save that for another time.

Spends yesterday were just a few snacks for the ride, and a couple of bits to take to a friends BBQ in the evening. This alcohol free lark, is so much cheaper. Instead of spending at least £10 on a couple of bottles of wine, I took a pack of tonic water for £1.50. I've been mostly AF since February now, and I don't really think about it any more. One of the best decisions I ever made.

£30.75 left until the end of the month that's £6.15 a day til pay day. I'm away for the rest of the week, so should really have any spends until next Saturday. I might, amazingly, keep within my budget :T

£100,546 26.1

• Seasidegal58
    Ouch to your bike fall skinny!:eek: hope you're not too bruised.

It's amazing how much you can save if you don't drink. I don't drink in the home unless I have guests - I'm afraid I'm the type who likes to eat, not drink, her calories!:rotfl:

Money saving sounds good this week.

Have a good Saturday skinny. I'm in your neck of the woods this weekend. Weather is lovely!
    x
    🌟
  • Skinnylatte
    edited 2 September 2019 at 10:44PM
    Ouch to your bike fall skinny!:eek: hope you're not too bruised.

It's amazing how much you can save if you don't drink. I don't drink in the home unless I have guests - I'm afraid I'm the type who likes to eat, not drink, her calories!:rotfl:

Money saving sounds good this week.

Have a good Saturday skinny. I'm in your neck of the woods this weekend. Weather is lovely!
    x

Yes, I'm fine thank you, although got stung by a wasp in yoga on Sunday, I'm not sure this exercise thing is much good for me!

I made it to the end of the month with 95p to spare, yay hows that for budgeting?!!

It's difficult to have an update at the moment, as I'm mid new bathroom and heating. I also got a pay rise, but they calculated it wrong and overpaid me, so now I'm having to pay some of it back for the next 3 months. I'll just keep trying to stick to my £350 spends per month for now, update my signatures and work everything else out later. I have paid for some of the work with a 0% money transfer and my savings, so back to square 1 again!

Any how it's pay day and the beginning of the month so loads of payments have gone out. Mortgage overpayments already at £89. I've already paid off 3.3% and I've only made 5 payments :).

Been stalking my ex, not much to stalk really as he blocked me on FB, obviously as there's something he didn't want me to see, so I stalked by other means. Very stupid really, I don't do it often at all, maybe the third time since we split up. But it's left me feeling sad and down, 9 months now, I need to get over it. :mad:

A no spend day today as working away :)

£100,546 26.1

• Well done on the 3.3% reduction in mortgage in just such a small space of time!:)

DO NOT STALK THE EX! I know it's hard when you still have those feelings for somebody hidden away down there, but as you write, it has only made you feel unsettled and sad. :(
    🌟
  • Well done on the 3.3% reduction in mortgage in just such a small space of time!:)

DO NOT STALK THE EX! I know it's hard when you still have those feelings for somebody hidden away down there, but as you write, it has only made you feel unsettled and sad. :(

You are so right, I haven't done it again, I hope I never feel the overwhelming need to do it again. It really derailed me for a few days.

Since that I've had a good week. It was my birthday last Friday, and I had such a lovely day, topped off by a gorgeous weekend in the Lake District with some friends. We hired an Airbnb between us and spent the weekend walking and cycling, we even did a park run! Could hardly walk on Monday. :rotfl:

My birthday was made even more special with a beautiful bouquet of flowers from my new brothers. Here's a story for you....

Before my parents met, my Dad was married before, at a very young age, and had 2 children. The marriage didn't last long and by the time he met my Mum he was divorced. He still saw his 2 sons for a while, however my Mum said it became quite difficult as his 1st wife had remarried and there was a lot of bad feeling. So eventually he lost touch with his sons. He then died in an accident when I was 7. Life went on and all that remained buried in the past for so many years. Very occasionally I would wonder what had happened to them, and in the last few years that wonder became a bit more frequent.

Around 2 months ago (when I wasn't keeping up with my diary) I woke up one morning with a really pressing need to search for them, I don't know what drove me that day to sign up for ancestry.com, to make several very spurious links as they'd been adopted and had their name changed, I'd like to think it was my Dad up there guiding me. Most certainly something was.
    Anyway, the same day I found them, and I knew without a doubt I was right, to see a picture of my oldest brother on FB raised the hairs on the back of my neck, we looked so alike.
    I have 1 other sibling that I grew up with, a younger brother. So I called him and told him what I found, he was quite taken back but very keen. A couple of days later (after much FB stalking!) I went over to my brothers, and showed him how I had come to the conclusion that they were most definitely our brothers, and he agreed that there was no doubt, so we sent the older one a message...

"Hello, My maiden name is ***. Attached is a photo of myself and my brother. We are the children of ***. We think we may be related to you. If you’d like to know more please get in touch."

10 minutes later we got the reply...

"OMG. YES would like to know more. I knew he had children but had no idea on how to find you. This is awesome news. Just out on my bike at the moment. Talk Later"

A month later the 4 of us met up, it was really very emotional, but wonderful in so many ways. There are so many dynamics of this that we've barely touched on yet. They have very few memories of their father, and only 1 photo, we had loads, even though he died so young, and they are very keen to know more. Later in the year they are going to meet my Mum, who of course will have a lot more memories that anyone else alive.

Anyway, to end this story off (for now) I received such lovely flowers from them and cards that said 'happy 1st birthday sister' and 'thank you for making our wish come true'. To say there were a few tears on Friday is an understatement, but they were all happy ones.

On Saturday we're all meeting up again, with wives and children, so all the nephews, nieces, uncles, aunties, cousins etc can be acquainted.

So, how do I follow that!

Well back to my financial affairs....

I have now updated my signature to include the debt I have just incurred to have a new bathroom and underfloor heating fitted. It's on interest free until Feb 2020, so as well as the mortgage overpayments, I will be paying this down as fast as I can. I don't know why I can't be disciplined enough to save up for stuff first, I did when I had first paid off my debt, I saved up for my bike and other stuff. At least I don't have unmanaged debt any more, but I always seem to sail quite close to the wind.

Oh my, the Santander account has been opened just 1 month and I've earned £15.10 woohoo, less my £5 monthly fee which is £10.10 into the mortgage pot. Added to that is 2 fleabay sales which makes £22.01 paid this morning, and the monthly overpayment to £114.77.

I have a shelf to return today that I bought for the new bathroom and not needed. I also have some birthday shopping to do for younger brother and new niece, and I'm going to buy DD a TV for when she starts Uni. We've not heard any bad news (yet!) from Uni no 3, she has told them about her conviction and they've just told her to carry on. I'm so so hoping they aren't going to turn round when her DBS checks come back and tell her she can't do the degree, that would be terribly cruel. She hasn't been able to fully enrol until the DBS checks are done, and therefore her student loan hasn't cone through. But they have partially enrolled her and given her accommodation. I'm taking her over on Sunday, she's spending the first year (hopefully!) in halls, and the course starts next Monday. No doubt I'll also be buying bedding and other uni essentials before Sunday, so it's not going to be a cheap week!

Right. loads to get on with as off to Brussels with work first thing tomorrow.

£201.02 left until the end of the month that's £10.05 a day.

£100,546 26.1

• Great story SL, wishing you lots of happiness :D

My husband has 2 older sisters he has never met , found out at 40... he's 60 now and has never been a bit interested to find out who they are. Now with a few extra dramas on both our sides .. its probably best

really hope your daughter gets on her course...
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure