Bank Charges Reclaiming Guide discussion

Comments

• The point you've missed is that the MSE guide is woefully inaccurate. Bank charges in general have not been recoverable since the 2009 court case. If you want a refund of ANY bank charges, you need to request the Bank consider a goodwill refund on the basis that you are in the bank's definition of current financial hardship.

You don't need to read anywhere near 85 pages of this thread to appreciate this.

Sorry my response was "useless", but I sometimes get tired of repeating the same information over and over.
    1. No one forces you to reply! So if you're tired of saying the same thing, which I can understand and appreciate then why not just ignoring the messages you don't want to reply to? My bet is that you don't get paid to do this, correct? So don't feel like you have to reply to everything everytime. Chill.

2. Your reply is irrelevant to my question i'm afraid. I already know it is hard to get money back, all I wanted to know was if the link I shared also applied to credit cards and store cards or only bank overdrafts. It's really a yes or no question.

thnx anyway.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    hate-banks wrote: »
    Your reply is irrelevant to my question i'm afraid. I already know it is hard to get money back, all I wanted to know was if the link I shared also applied to credit cards and store cards or only bank overdrafts.
    The link is out-of-date and inaccurate.

It doesn't apply at all (since 2009).

You can certainly "apply" for a refund of any Bank charges, store cards or credit cards.

The Bank will simply reject any such applications unless you are in current Financial Hardship and, even then, is under no obligation to refund anything-only to treat you fairly.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,423
    Forumite
    It won't apply to other store cards or credit cards but I don't doubt someone will be along, namely Brown, to argue that it is possible and that with a few PM's they will take your case on for nothing....beware...
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,631
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    -taff wrote: »
    It won't apply to other store cards or credit cards but I don't doubt someone will be along, namely Brown, to argue that it is possible and that with a few PM's they will take your case on for nothing....beware...

Brown and his ilk basically tell you to put in a money claim for the amount "owed" and then rely on the bank settling to avoid court. It's dubious at best as the bank could easily fight it on the basis of the precedence set by the supreme court case that the charges were legal and fair (credit card and bank fees are much the same thing e.g. late payment, over limit etc) particularly if a lot of people try it on. The cases on their forum are always concluded with the person signing a disclaimer to not reveal the outcome so they (predictably) assume the person won a full refund and claim a victory and nobody knows whether they got full, 50%, 10% or nothing.
  • -taff
    Forumite
    Exactly. If it were above board, why sign a disclaimer? Surely, if they were successful, they'd be shouting it from the rooftops.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    Forumite
    If it were above board, why sign a disclaimer?
    If a Bank did decide to settle out-of-court, it's not beyond the realms of possibility for them to insist on a legal disclaimer to avoid an avalanche of similar cases. However, the Banks went to the High Court in the first place to avoid these situations and they won. So I doubt the so-called disclaimers are bonafide at all.

An interesting discussion, but beware of personal attacks guys...
  • Nasqueron
    Forumite
    Exactly. If it were above board, why sign a disclaimer? Surely, if they were successful, they'd be shouting it from the rooftops.

Probably not clear on my part, the bank makes the person sign a disclaimer so they go back on the forum and say something like "I have settled the matter with the bank and cannot say anything more as I have signed a disclaimer". The forum then assume that means they got a full refund and mark it as a win even though they don't know what the result was. I think the bank does it to discourage more people but if more people do it the banks will start defending and people will be stung for the costs. It'll go away soon enough - since the charges were reduced to £12 after the OFT ruling in 2006 that £25 was too high no-one has tried to challenge it in courts (the OFT said £12 was not necessarily fair but it needed a court case to rule it). Since the 2009 case resulted in the end of challenges to unfair charges it'll be taken as a precedence if there was another case hence why all the skullduggery is needed

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2006/apr/05/creditcards.business
  • -taff
    Forumite
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    Probably not clear on my part, the bank makes the person sign a disclaimer

Ahhhh........
  • Hi

I have had a letter off my bank advising that they shouldn't of given me my overdraft and that it has not benefited me so as a gesture of good will they have refunded the following

refund of arranged overdraft fees and interst £227.70
    plus compensatory inters £23.55
    less income tax £4.71
    plus refund of overdraft limit £100

total refunded £346.54

However after going the bank I have found out that since 2017 to the present day there has been £344 worth of charges to the account.

I have called to speak to the department for a breakdown of what iv'e been refunded to which i was told it has been all charges since 2015 ( this can not be true as the last year alone is different figure)

where do I go from here ? do i take what they have given me or request more (the amount has cleared most of the charges left on my account and I have a balance owing to them of £60.000 still)

Please help xx
  • Nasqueron
    Forumite
    tatty1985 wrote: »
    Hi

I have had a letter off my bank advising that they shouldn't of given me my overdraft and that it has not benefited me so as a gesture of good will they have refunded the following

refund of arranged overdraft fees and interst £227.70
    plus compensatory inters £23.55
    less income tax £4.71
    plus refund of overdraft limit £100

total refunded £346.54

However after going the bank I have found out that since 2017 to the present day there has been £344 worth of charges to the account.

I have called to speak to the department for a breakdown of what iv'e been refunded to which i was told it has been all charges since 2015 ( this can not be true as the last year alone is different figure)

where do I go from here ? do i take what they have given me or request more (the amount has cleared most of the charges left on my account and I have a balance owing to them of £60.000 still)

Please help xx

Accept the good will offer, banks only refund for current financial hardship, not historical charges and only certain charges have been included it would appear e.g. maybe they refunded overdraft fees but not over limit etc
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback