Has anyone heard of masterrecover.co.uk

Hi everyone

I wondered if anyone had ever heard of masterrecover.co.uk?

I got a notification on my online banking today that they had tried to take £38 from me - the transaction declined (fortunately!!)

I didn't recognise the transaction and googled them but it came up with no search results :(

They do have a website and I called them but they couldn't give me a straight answer as to how they got my information - I certainly didn't provide it to them!!

My bank have ordered me a new card just to be safe but I wondered if anyone had heard of them before or experienced this with them?!

My bank (monzo) have said I don't need to do anything more, I've emailed the company asking how they got my details but I fear they may be fraudulent?

be on the look out!!

Thank you everyone

Comments

• Manxman_in_exile
    Manxman_in_exile Posts: 8,380
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 23 October 2019 at 7:48PM
    I got a hit on Bing. "We would like to show you a description here but the site won't allow us"

Puzzled look.

EDIT: Can't your bank tell you who they are or what the transaction is?
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 23 October 2019 at 9:44PM
    https://www.masterrecover.co.uk
    Eternal digital limited.
    Registered on companies house
  • Hi. This merchant took £38.70 from my Monzo account today. I never heard of them before & I have certainly NOT signed up for any free trial with them.

I have checked my browsing history + my E-Mail inbox (even the spam folder) and there is nothing about them in any of my inboxes or browsing history.

Monzo is investigating it for me now (card blocked & new one on the way).

I only discovered it tonight so couldn't call masterrecover.co.uk to ask why they charged me or where they have my info from. I will call them tomorrow morning though.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    It's probably come from one of those add-ons to a purchase (elsewhere) that's hidden away in the T&Cs about free financial planning or similar trial.
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It sounds like some kind of insurance cover - maybe devices. Maybe you got it "free" for one year with another purchase and now they are trying to renew
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,288
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Very little on Google about them. Just this thread and their website.

Accomodation address on the website so virtual office
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Thank you so much let me know if you get anywhere with them
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 24 October 2019 at 8:58AM
    DoaM wrote: »
    It's probably come from one of those add-ons to a purchase (elsewhere) that's hidden away in the T&Cs about free financial planning or similar trial.

Yes this seems to be most likely. There is some reference to third parties in their t& cs.
    The director owns a number of digital companies.
    5 day free trial.
    It looks like a thinly disguised possibly barely legal rip off if you sign up.

"4.1 Our service is as described on our website and/or, where you access our services via an authorised third party website.

4.2 For services provided by third parties, different terms and conditions will apply."
  • Just called them. Very rude person on the phone who kept interrupting me.
    He explained that I signed up for a free trial during a recent loan application.

I remember applying for a loan, but I don't remember signing up for a free trial. Let alone one that cost £38 afterwards.

I am so upset about this dodgy hidden way of getting money from people.

The phone calldid not end with any constructive solution as the guy on the phone wouldn't let me talk (literally talked over me). Not to mention the hostile & rude vibe.

I had to hang up. Will speak to Monzo again.

I agree, I probably fell victim to something where they trick you but still operate in some legal grey area. Who knows.
  • Ps I don't have ANY information from them in my E-Mail inbox. No confirmation or welcome E-Mails, no login details. Nothing. So, I could have known or how I could have even make any use of their trial or service they now charged me for.

Do you see the dodgy/unprofessional pattern here?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure