We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Apache potatoes -- amazing!

Options
esuhl
esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
I'm no gardener, but... in the past few years, when I've bought potatoes that have gone past being edible, I've planted them to see if anything grows. :)

They were always "bog standard" white-skinned potatoes of different varieties. Some got half-eaten by slugs or tiny-worms, but I'd usually get a handful of decent potatoes for no effort (other than occasional watering in hot weather).

A few months ago, I planted six small Apache potatoes. In the shops, they're quite small, with a red/white variegated skin. The skin isn't tough at all, and they're really tasty.

I've been digging them up in the past week, and I'm amazed at the results! Maybe it was the hot weather, but they plants grew incredibly quickly and seemed much more resilient to pests.

Compared to the ones in the shops, they're almost entirely red, bigger, firmer, and when you cut them open, there's an almost orange tinge. And they're the most delicious potatoes ever! The shop ones are good, but my ones are out of this world!

Just thought I'd mention it -- you can't knock free spuds when they're better than what you can buy! :D

Does anyone else throw unwanted potatoes into the ground to "see what happens"? Has anyone else had success with Apache potatoes or another variety?

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. I don't usually grow spuds, but I might have a go with a few of these in an old recycling bin.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure