The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

TalkTalk phone scam

Have been called by very similar number 019... It was an automated call saying that it was a call from talk talk about my account and to press 1. On pressing I went straight to a VERY NOISY call centre and because I said it was impossible to hear the caller did I hang up. I rang TalkTalk back (using the number from official website on google) and they confirmed that they did not call and leave automated messages. They did not recognise the 019 number.

Yesterday my husband answered and this time they claimed that they were calling back because of our reported low broadband speed. He was instructed to switch off the router and then log on to a specific url. When husband said that we use a mac they said that they could only fix the issue on a Windows computer and asked again if we had one. The call only ended when he ranted that we didnt have anything else other than mac.

We had never reported any low speed issue to TalkTalk.
Husband has been told.

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Standard TT BT Microsoft call from scammers .
    Thousands of posts all over the web .
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,829
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Have been called by very similar number 019... It was an automated call saying that it was a call from talk talk about my account and to press 1. On pressing I went straight to a VERY NOISY call centre and because I said it was impossible to hear the caller did I hang up. I rang TalkTalk back (using the number from official website on google) and they confirmed that they did not call and leave automated messages. They did not recognise the 019 number.

Yesterday my husband answered and this time they claimed that they were calling back because of our reported low broadband speed. He was instructed to switch off the router and then log on to a specific url. When husband said that we use a mac they said that they could only fix the issue on a Windows computer and asked again if we had one. The call only ended when he ranted that we didnt have anything else other than mac.

We had never reported any low speed issue to TalkTalk.
    Husband has been told.

Its a common ploy used to try and get access to your computer. I have not been with Talk Talk for around 8 years but I still get Scammers ringing up and trying to get me to do something. Other times its BT but the biggest give away is that they read from a script.

If you are not confident then just put the phone down on them. Depending on how busy I am I will string them along and waste their time. My record is over 30 minutes but now it normally last around 5 to 10 minutes before they get angry that I am wasting their time and they put the phone down on me.

They try to get people who are not tech Savvy and hopefully foul them to try and make money. Other people I know will just put the phone down leaving the line open, walk away and comeback 20 minutes later to see if they have got bored and put the phone down.
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• Woolco
    Woolco Posts: 172 Forumite
    Please can you note the number and report this to this ICO.
    https://ico.org.uk/
    It takes minutes. These people need closing down.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Woolco wrote: »
    Please can you note the number and report this to this ICO.
    https://ico.org.uk/
    It takes minutes. These people need closing down.

Wouldnt it be nice if these outfits were actually located in the UK so that doing as you suggest would make a blind bit of difference !!
  • Tallaght
    Tallaght Posts: 1,632
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Most are based abroad using dummy numbers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure