New decision about deaf people eligible for mobility component of PIP?

Hiya,
I heard that there was a new ruling that means deaf people can now claim for the mobility component of PIP, similar to previous DLA claims. At the time I was assessed, it was not in place. I was given a ten year award (the maximum) so I don't have to reapply for ages, but is there any way I'll still be able to receive the mobility component? Someone told me people should be getting a letter about it?
Honestly, I've only heard second hand information so I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me more.
Thanks.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I would imagine that as with any disability it would depend on your specific circumstances and the level of support you need to get out and about safely.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • No ruling that I've heard of but then there's nothing to stop someone who is deaf getting mobility. If you require another person or a dog etc with you to guide you then you could qualify. If you don't, you won't qualify.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    The changes that were made were the words "for reasons other than psychological distress" were removed form the descriptors for following and planning a journey. There's been no new ruling specifically for deaf people.

DWP are looking at all the claims, they will contact you if you're one of the ones that are affected by the changes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure