Trustpilot - contacting a reviewer

Never used trustpilot, don't trust it, I know reviews can be fake.

Having said that, I have seen some reviews on a very small company and wish to contact the reviewers. Does anyone know a way to do this?

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    robatwork wrote: »

Having said that, I have seen some reviews on a very small company and wish to contact the reviewers. Does anyone know a way to do this?

Seems unlikely, as those who left negative reviews could be open to abuse from the people they left reviews for. Its unlikely anyone would sign up to post and give permission for themselves to be contacted by a unknown person.
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    As marliepand said I doubt you can do it or people would just get spammed from people/retailers which would put people off ever leaving reviews
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

Only possibly via some online detective work around the user ID they have used. It is amazing how many people use the same or similar ID on a whole load of sites.

I managed to track down and contact a reviewer on Google reviews like that when we had clearly both had serious issues with a supposedly charitable organisation. Looking at their other reviews coupled with some searches around their user id led me to a 99% certainty of their email address, twitter name etc. etc.

I simply sent the person a polite email, briefly outlining why and asked if they were willing to discuss the problems we had both encountered, perhaps with a view to making a joint complaint to (in our case) the charity commission.

Obviously they could have just ignored me if they wished but they chose to respond.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    As marliepand said I doubt you can do it or people would just get spammed from people/retailers which would put people off ever leaving reviews

By that argument, you would get spammed on here for saying something that someone else disagrees with, because I can send you a PM with just one click.

Yet you don't (nor I) get spammed by people with whom we have disagreements. I've seen plenty of quite nasty arguments on here of a much fiercer nature than a trustpilot review, and the participants never complain they have had abuse/spam through a private message. MSE police it with a stern hand.

So as long as it's setup correctly, there's no need for it to be a spammer's charter. Indeed businesses CAN setup on trustpilot and reply directly to bad reviews so their replies appear on the site.

It would be very helpful for TP to allow this, to allow members to question other reviewers - this may also prevent all the shill reviewers.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite

It would be very helpful for TP to allow this, to allow members to question other reviewers - this may also prevent all the shill reviewers.

It just seems a bit pointless. I can't message someone on Marks and Spark's website whose left a review for a coat, so why someone who left a review on Trustpilot?

How will you tell a shill review from a fake one with a PM system? If someone is leaving fake reviews for their own business/a friends then they might respond to you saying how wonderful they are.
    A genuine person who had a fantastic time with the company might simply ignore you because they don't particularly want to discuss the roof they had put on a few weeks back with a random person.

Yes MSE police it, but do TP want to hire people to police this? What will they gain from it? You still wouldn't be able to tell if someone was fake or not...
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,950 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Why not ask the small company if they can provide a recommendation.
    You should be able to figure out fairly quickly if it is genuine when actually talking to someone.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    This particular situation involves a small company. 5 TP reviewers (there's only 7 reviews) complain of exactly the same problem that I have, and they are all completely distinct, and plausible. Most the reviewers have left lots of other reviews on other companies.

I would like to contact them to discuss this company, and the possibility of group litigation. Their IDs don't give any clue for investigation into contact details unfortunately.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Other than posting your solicitors name and creating a post on there asking people to get in touch( which my get objected too,) the only other solution is to create a post on a forum somewhere naming the company and hope some of the other customers see it.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I would like to contact them to discuss this company, and the possibility of group litigation. Their IDs don't give any clue for investigation into contact details unfortunately.
    I suspect if you read through the privacy policy they will state that personal information will not be passed on to a third party
    https://legal.trustpilot.com/end-user-privacy-terms
    does the company have a facebook site that there are maybe reviews on that you would be able to possibly contact someone (depending how they have set their privacy)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure