Refurbished laptops

Hello all!

Does anyone have any advice on where to buy refurbished laptops online? (From a UK seller). I’ve recently been bitten by the bug to play some old style games, and ideally need something portable (but not a tablet to play them on)

I’ve had a look online searching using the usual engines, but am just looking to see if anyone knows of any websites that are genuine and reliable. Particularly when it comes to quick delivery as I’m not the most patient :D

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hello all!

Does anyone have any advice on where to buy refurbished laptops online? (From a UK seller). I’ve recently been bitten by the bug to play some old style games, and ideally need something portable (but not a tablet to play them on)

I’ve had a look online searching using the usual engines, but am just looking to see if anyone knows of any websites that are genuine and reliable. Particularly when it comes to quick delivery as I’m not the most patient :D

Thanks in advance for your help!

Whats your budget?

https://www.dell.co.uk/outlet is a good starting point, but they will be new prices - maybe 20%.

Other than that you're in to the realms of ebay and looking at some of the refurbishers on there.
  • I would also recommend Dell to you. They are on the more expensive side for their spec but I have one that is 13 years old and another that is around 8 years old and both still work fine (I've only had to buy a new battery in that time and do system restores on both once).

If you haven't bought a system for a while then I would say aim for atleast 8GB memory and 1TB storage is always handy unless you have/plan to use portable HDs anyway.

Mine are "Inspirons" and this is the current gen;

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/laptops-notebooks-and-2-in-1-laptops/inspiron-15-3000/spd/inspiron-15-3567-laptop/cn35624

My girlfriend recently bought a Lenovo and Toshiba laptop (as at UNI) and both are genuinely awful. Like literally a waste of money
  • rincage
    rincage Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've had a lot of luck buying older Lenovo laptops. I'm sat here now with a T460 with an i7 CPU, 16GB of RAM, an SSD and full HD display running Win10 Pro. Cost me all of £400

So many get replaced by big corporates and many are deskbound in docking stations for much of their lives so you can get some real bargains in great conditions. The X260 and T460 are great and built to last. If you want cheaper, then an X230 is also good and just as solid - usually available for around £200 or less. There are lots of UK sellers on ebay.

Regards
    James
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    This seller on Ebay has been on the go for years.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/newandusedlaptops4u?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I would also recommend Dell to you.

I've had 3 Dells and been disappointed with them all. The inspiron laptop I had was absolutely awful , flimsy as hell and several keys fell out after just a few months light usage then the screen cracked just by opening the lid from one corner. Also had 2 Dimension desktops, the hard drive in one failed after a few months and the power supply failed in the other in the first month.

I'm currently using a refurbed Lenovo X230 which is absolutely brilliant - feels very sturdy, and a very good spec for the price.
  • microdream.co.uk will do next day delivery if you pay for it. Typing this on a Microdream Dell Desktop :-)

https://www.tier1online.com also worth looking at.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Don't please don't get a refurbished device at least in this age of SCAMS!

You wouldn't know what malware is there in the computer which might use your system's memory to mine crypto-currency, Cryptojacking.

The refurbishers put a clean standard install of Windows on their computers - that's a lot less bloatware than many manufacturers put on from new.

If you're really concerned about malware you wouldn't be running Windows.
  • Don't please don't get a refurbished device at least in this age of SCAMS!

You wouldn't know what malware is there in the computer which might use your system's memory to mine crypto-currency, Cryptojacking.

its blackFriday already get a brand new laptop avail the discounts and do some research and get the best deal. God bless you.

Sorry, but that's daft advice. No offence meant. But it's not hard to do a fresh install of an OS. There are loads of good used laptops out there.
  • microdream.co.uk will do next day delivery if you pay for it. Typing this on a Microdream Dell Desktop :-)

And now waiting for my monitor to be picked up by DPD to go back to Microdream with a backlight fault within 3 months of purchase - and I have to pay the carriage under their return-to-base warranty. We shall be having a discussion about statutory rights and a refund of the carriage cost when I get my monitor back. Until then, I'm not quite as happy with Microdream as I was when I posted that.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Don't please don't get a refurbished device at least in this age of SCAMS!

its blackFriday already get a brand new laptop avail the discounts and do some research and get the best deal. God bless you.

Nothing wrong with buying a refurbished laptop if you buy from a reputable seller.

Not sure how it works in Nevada but theres various websites to buy 1 from.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback