Help ! Advice needed please

Hello everyone ! Just after a little advice more than anything (peace of mind!)
Basically I applied for a job as a teaching assistant in a secondary school and received a job offer which states depending on references, a DBS check and health clearance that I would have the job .
Fast forward a few weeks , I cleared my DBS and health clearance and I had two references , one was a voluntary placement that I have done for 1 n a half years , the other my tutor for my NVQ . The school then said that they need a work reference . I have been at home with kids for 7 years so had to give my employer from then .
They agreed but are taking the !!!! and it's been over a month and they haven't replied back with the reference. My concern is that if they don't give the reference my job offer will be taken away . When I spoke to the school they basically said don't be pessimistic but I don't want to be without a job and a job has come up at my voluntary place now (the deadline is Friday)
So basically , can they take my job offer off the table even though they have two satisfactory references ?
Should i carry on applying for other jobs ?
I'm so confused and this is my first time applying in schools so I don't know what to do !
Sorry if this doesn't make much sense , I've had car trouble as well today so a crap day overall !

Comments

• bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Have you spoken to your old employer? Did you call them before providing their details?

You need to call them and find out if they are willing to provide a reference. Chances are after 7 years nobody there remembers you and they don't even have a record of employing you, so will not be able to provide anything. If so, call the school's HR department and ask them what thry do in such cases. You won't be the first person to have applied for a job after a long period out of the workplace, but you are going to have to take the initiative and make some calls to get the ball rolling.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The school is following an over-rigid process. The reality is that many people who have been out of the workplace won't be able to supply a 'work' reference - for example, their previous employer(s) have gone bust, retired, no longer have their records (6 years is the usual retention time) or simply won't give a reference because they can't remember that far back. I'd give the school a ring and discuss what the alternative route is. If you've passed the DBS check, there is no legal requirement to have a reference from a former employer.

In the meantime, apply for the role which has come up at your voluntary place.
  • Aysheab
    Aysheab Posts: 45 Forumite
    Yes , I asked them and they said yes because the director is the same but he is not in the office often at all . I just don't want to lose both jobs . I also don't want to waste anyone's time , so if say I apply for the job at voluntary place and get that. Then the secondary school get back to me with the reference , I would then have to let the voluntary place down and my kids go there !
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Aysheab wrote: »
    Yes , I asked them and they said yes because the director is the same but he is not in the office often at all . I just don't want to lose both jobs . I also don't want to waste anyone's time , so if say I apply for the job at voluntary place and get that. Then the secondary school get back to me with the reference , I would then have to let the voluntary place down and my kids go there !

Not wanting to waste people's time/let anyone down are both admirable sentiments, but unrealistic when you are job hunting. Provided you are straight with your voluntary place, there really shouldn't be any issue. In today's job market you won't be the only fish, so a change of mind a week or two into the selection process isn't a bit deal.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Aysheab wrote: »

Employers go through that all the time, employee A has 2 interviews, accepts 1 whilst waiting for the offer for dream job which is sent 2 weeks later.

Your not letting anyone down but being courteous.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure