PPI Barclaycard

Options
I have had a company keep phoning me about my PPI claim. I had previously told them I would do my own claim but they would still call daily many times. A few weeks ago a woman got me to fill in an electronic signature to make my claim on a number of credit cards. Barclaycard recently phoned me about my claim and went through a number of questions. I thought I would get very little back and at the end of the call I said about the electronic signature to which barclaycard said they do not accept that but will still go ahead with my claim. I got a message to say they had made a decision and money will be refunded to my account. I was shocked earlier to see that I have been refunded around £4300. I am wondering if this is actually correct. Once in my account can Barclay reclaim it. I am scared to touch the money. :eek: I know I will have the PPI company ringing me back up. Do they have a right to any of that now??

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Barclaycard will tell you if the amount is correct. If it's been sent in error, it will be repayable.

The claims company will want their cut if you have signed an agreement with them
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My understanding is that electronic signatures are not allowed on CMCs letter of authorities and it must be a wet signature.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • jen43
    jen43 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your reply.

I got a letter from barclaycard to give me the reasons for the amount paid. It seems alot is interest over the years. I am still shocked at the amount.
    I also phoned up capital one, sainsburys to tell them not to accept the signature from youclaim4me as they have been constantly calling me and signed to get rid of them. They have redone my claims from me making my own claim. I also phoned littlewoods as I had credit from them years ago possibly with PPI.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jen43 wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply.

I got a letter from barclaycard to give me the reasons for the amount paid. It seems alot is interest over the years. I am still shocked at the amount.
    I also phoned up capital one, sainsburys to tell them not to accept the signature from youclaim4me as they have been constantly calling me and signed to get rid of them. They have redone my claims from me making my own claim. I also phoned littlewoods as I had credit from them years ago possibly with PPI.

If you have sent a signed letter of authority (as Dunstonh says - a wet copy i.e. you actually signed it with a pen and sent it off) to the CMC then they have the right to collect their cut of the refund no matter what you told these other firms. You cannot cut these leeches off just like that
  • davy22
    davy22 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Could anyone advise me on my situ?
    I had a Barclaycard PPI claim through Gladstone Brookes rejected.
    It was to do with my old egg card. I have now recieved a letter from claim lion law,
    Stating that, in view if the recent plevin case, they can now try to win my money back. I am under no obligation to go with them as they require a signature on a consent form to be returned.
    Two questions
    1/ can I address tbis case now on my own? The law firm will pocket 36% of any award.
    2/ if I persue this matter on my own and am successful, are Gladstone Brookes due any redress if I win?
    Cheers
    David
  • dunstonh
    Options
    Stating that, in view if the recent plevin case, they can now try to win my money back.

That is crafty. A dead cert win if you still held the card in 2008. It only requires you to state one sentence to Barclaycard. "please can you check my PPI following the Plevin ruling".
    1/ can I address tbis case now on my own? The law firm will pocket 36% of any award.

You can always do it on your own. All CMCs do is send it to the address on the website of the firm using the same free of charge to use regulated complaints process you use. Indeed, CMCs actually have a lower success rate than individual complaints. Often because they try to over complicate it and include things that are clearly lies and that reduces your credibility.
    2/ if I persue this matter on my own and am successful, are Gladstone Brookes due any redress if I win?
    Not if you havent signed a contract with them
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • davy22
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks for replying, really appreciate it.
    Ok so I take it there are template letters on the site here I can use.
    I guess the answer to my second part is yes. They handled the intial claim for me but were unsuccessful.
    So in an successful outcome, not only would I be forking out £££'s to claim lion law, but also Gladstone Brookes as well. Would that be correct?
    Cheers
    David
  • dunstonh
    Options
    Ok so I take it there are template letters on the site here I can use.

No. You dont need a template letter. It is just one sentence or a quick phone call.
    I guess the answer to my second part is yes. They handled the intial claim for me but were unsuccessful.

No. If the complaint was a continuation, then they should be paid. If the complaint ended with rejection more than 6 months ago and they never mentioned anything about waiting for the Plevin ruling consultation to complete then they have no right to be paid. Some try it on but the CMC rules are published on this front.
  • davy22
    Options
    Hi dunstonh,
    Thanks for the info.
    In their closing letter they mentioned the plevin case.
    But I believe if they have sent my details on to claim lion law, that should end any association with them. How could they expect a kick back if another law firm won the case.
    So I will sent my letter on to Barclay card and save myself 36% if I am successful.
    Thank you for your advice this morning. Should I contact Gladstone Brookes or claim lion law to say I no longer require their services?
    Cheers
    David.
  • jen43
    jen43 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't sign with a pen it was electronic signature.

Barclaycard do not accept this and did my claim as if I was making my own although it does say Uclaim4me on the letter from barclaycard. I have had a few phone calls but otherwise my phone hasn't been so quiet for along time.

Sainsburys which is my halifax one I have contacted and said I dont want to claim through them and they agreed to do the claim direct from me.
    Capital one I contacted who I had a 2nd card with and didnt realise I had an old card until I spoke to them to say I want to claim myself. They have replied to say I do not have anything on that card to Uclaim4me. The 2nd card was my old one and they are doing this one direct through me.

I also had a few home shopping catalogues one which was littlewoods and am claiming on that.

With my credit card through capital one they ask on the form if you had any existing health problems and say this may affect your claim. Do I put I had epilepsy which I had surgery for but never affected my ability to work other then not being able to do jobs involving driving (like many who dont have it. ) also at the time I was barred from certain jobs such as teaching, doctor, army.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure