NST January: Health, Wealth and a Life Well Lived

Comments

• Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,033 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    NSD 2/18
    Have done loads today (I won't bore you). Obviously this "not putting things off" works .Apart from doing things on the enormous list I'm finding myself just doing things as I go along. I guess just putting things where they should be, tidying as you go along makes a tremendous difference. Wish I could persuade the other two to do likewise.
    Started my book last night and read the first 80 pages.
    Dinners still coming from the freezer/store cupboard but I will have to stock up on some the boy's stuff tomorrow. He eats at a different time from us during the week but he's quite easy to please. Just need to get some frozen sweetcorn chicken breasts and pies from the butcher.
    I've joined the declutter three things a day challenge - it would e really good it I could stick to that,
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Fmess - what do you think you'll do after teaching?

DancingDragons - hmmm to your is it/isn't it an NSD. I guess that if the money refunded is more than the money spent then yes, it does count as an NSD. Maybe try to do things like that on what is already a spendy day next time?
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Munchin
    Munchin Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Number 38 here -

JANUS. In one years time I would like have no debt (almost there), a healthy emergency fund and to have no more ED issues.

ACTIVITY - to get back into running regularly.

NON-NEGS - 1/18 NSD
    Budgets set - done
    £5 to charity - still to do.
    Debts - 1 more payment to go in Feb :)

Unabashed.

Meal plans done and lunches prepped for rest of the week.

REDUCE,RE-USE,REPAIR....Ongoing. Trying to not buy anything new as much as possible for 2018.
  • apple_muncher
    What is the most important thing in your life right now?

Let your mind wander freely over the question. You may have 1 answer, you may have several. I came up with an answer and then felt bad that it wasn't different answers. But when I returned to the question a few mins later, it was still my original one - this time without the guilt.

(No need to share what comes up :D)
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Janus a time to look forwards - where do you want to be in 12 months from now? 12 months: debt free (exc BTL mtge - but target of 4K ops) A decent no of jobs completed from our 'to do' list for the house (some are small, some are big/ long term/ expensive) Fitter. Hopefully with 2 children at uni. Pensions sorted.
    £5 transferred to BTL mtge today(every little helps!):D Some money transferred to kitchen fund. Paid my tax bill

Activity. This is a BOGOF one. Take up a new hobby or resurrect an old one. ALSO, be active. Keep moving. - Re-start Zumba. Not today!

Non-negotiables:
    -18 NSDs (if not, why not?) 1/18
    -your budgets are set by the start of the month and are fixed.
    Food - 7.81/£400
    Fuel - £65
    Toiletries - £10
    Household - £20
    Clothes - £60
    Social - £100 (includes takeaway for DS2's bday)
    Gifts - £50
    -£5 to foodbank / charity - Direct debit to charity set up
    -pay money to your debts/savings FIRST - day to day CCs paid off in full. Some more money transferred to kitchen fund. My tax bill paid in full (£565)
    -meal plan - I don't do this. OH hates meal planning. However, I am targeting stuff which needs using up first, even if only for me

Always plan your meals; always take a shopping list; always take your lunch to work and drink + snacks when out and about; avoid all coffee shops, vending machines, work canteens... -ok
    Reduce, re-use, repair, re-gift, recycle, recover, refuse! And read. ok! Nothing bought. 12 things added to CS pile. 3 odd socks recycled

Stretch challenge - aim to get extra money of £50. £0/£50 Aim to declutter 50 items. 41/50
    Have joined pay off all your debts by Xmas 2018, MFW 2018 (looking to OP £4k on BTL mtge), Declutter in 2018 (aiming for 2018 items!:eek:) Relisted 7 items on fleabay

something Joyful in Jan

DS1 back to school today. DS2 & DS3 tomorrow. I baked a batch of soft rolls for lunchboxes and made fridge cake/ rocky-ish road with leftover Hotel Chocolat dipping experience items, cheap value choc, cheap digestives, rice crispies and mini marshmallows. Also tidied and sorted most of freezer.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • First day back to work today. It went okay, even though I was dreading it immensely. Worked a little over my 7.24 hours so building up more flexi-time. Need to get it to 15 hours by the 12th January as I have two flexi days off on the 15th and 16th.

Today has not been a NSD as we forgot to get loo roll the other day when we went shopping and we are down to the last roll, so popped to Asda on the way home. Also picked up some YS bread, salad, meat for DH (for sandwiches) and he ‘topped up’ on Relentless as it was on offer (he drinks the stuff for band practice). Signature is updated.

I’m grateful to DH for cooking dinner tonight, my warm pjs, a good day at work and my bed (which I think I will retire to early).
    February Grocery Budget: £190.75/£350.00
    NST no. NSD 4/15
  • Fmess
    Fmess Posts: 2,920 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Dolly and igamogam apparently because our teaching and learning policy basically says we’ll do everything to ensure the progress of our students, if I tutor them as well, then I’m apparently being paid privately to do what I’m supposed to do in my contract. It’s rubbish really and the issue was actually only with a couple of staff, one who apparently tutored 10+ students each year and didn’t put much effort into their lessons in school. I’m not sure I’d have time anymore but it’s just another way to try and control us. In theory, we can tutor students from othe schools but being as we’re the largest around and the main A level provider, all my tutees used to be from my school.

Today was SFD number 2. Posted an eBay parcel, walked the dogs in between rain showers and I’ve done school work most of the day.
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
  • Fmess
    Apple no firm plans. I used to work in admin and would be happy to do that again. I also love being at home with my animals so would consider setting up a dog walking business and having animals come to stay in my home when people go away. I just can’t deal with the stress of it all, I feel like I’m constantly wishing my life away as I just wait for Saturdays and the holidays.
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
  • apple_muncher
    Fmess - I used to have an annual 'crisis of confidence' in the middle of the summer break, when I doubted I could ever teach again, that I wasn't good enough.... Since the issues of the last 17 months, that has increasingly been how I feel, and I only teach 2 days a week! I would love to be able to just make bunnies and craft for an income! Unlike you, I have never done other jobs (apart from summer temporary ones - 2x in a rubber factory! where they made the rubber seals that go round windows). I am fortunate to be in the bunch that get most of their pension at 60, but I cannot imagine still teaching then. I do realise that I'm in a good position - financially able to just do 2 days a week , even with dh only earning peanuts. When he can get his pension, we'll be rather better off than now!

Sometimes, I wish someone would show me a room full of boxes of paperwork that needs sorting. Now that, I could happily do! No prep, marking, meetings, report writing, 3-year plan developping, data protecting, disciplining, moaning colleagues...

Boy, do I sound miserable. I'll put it down to going back to work today!

But it is motivation to have a plan. A cunning plan.
  • Fmess
    Apple two days sounds heavenly! I’m considering asking to go to four days a week or to drop my TLR. I’m not at the top of the pay scale yet but when I get there, I’d like to think I could afford one of these options. There’s just such a retention issue, we struggle to recruit decent teachers and have loads of problems with the ones we do have, so I doubt they’ll let me do any less and I do like my school (I know I’m lucky to teach these students)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure