New "Sign In/Out" system at work

Hi.

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, sorry if not, but here goes.

Recently at work we had a new system installed for signing in and out - called Watson. It's basically a computer located just as you walk in, into which you enter your ID number then scan your finger!
(we all had to "register" our fingerprints the other day on it).

Can private companies actually do this? How do I know they are storing this safely?

I am sure I thought only the police or such as Home Office were allowed by law..

Thank you.

Comments

• ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    And the problem is?
  • ILW wrote: »
    And the problem is?

Exactly......;)
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • If you have consented as part of your T's and C's of employment of course they can, don't really see the issue though unless you are up to no good leaving your fingerprints inside bank vaults (suggest you wear gloves!)

Also you can be "re-assured" the way the Watson and other sign in/out systems store finger print info is useless to the Police etc, it is not a photo or copy of your fingerprint, just ceratin specific reference points.

You should only get worried if your company insists on microchipping you like a pet (already quite common in Europe):)
    every time I manage to get one more breath into this body, I will sing a song of thanks to you my brothers, my sisters, my friends, may your sleep be peaceful, and angels sing sweetly in your ears.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    edited 27 September 2012 at 9:46AM
    chokolat2 wrote: »
    Hi.

Recently at work we had a new system installed for signing in and out - called Watson. It's basically a computer located just as you walk in, into which you enter your ID number then scan your finger!

Can private companies actually do this? How do I know they are storing this safely?

I am sure I thought only the police or such as Home Office were allowed by law..

Thank you.

I believe the questions the OP is hoping are answered are the ones I highlighted ... Well they are the only ones with a question mark attached ;)

In response to the first question, I would ask if this is a private company?

A quick google suggests Watson is a registered trade mark of Integrated Biometics, a US based company.

In response to the second question, if you are concerned as to how the data may be stored or used, you could ask your employer. :)

Fyi, I see some laptops are now using fingerprint recognition.

More information about your basic rights at work can be found on the Citizens Advice self-help website www.adviceguide.org.uk or by calling the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline (0845 4040506) or contacting your local CAB office.
  • BillTrac
    BillTrac Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yes, it is all legal and above board.

I do a lot of work in this field and there are many products on the market, Watson being just one of them. You have a higher level of security using biometrics than the standard prox, or prox and pin, card as anyone can use a card. With bio only the legitimate user can gain access to the system. (and no it doesn't work like they suggest in Demolition Man..:rotfl:)

Perhaps the company have been stung in the past with other workers clocking their friends in and out when they aren't there? I know when I worked for a defence company(many years ago now) that some of the people working overtime on a Saturday morning would take it in turns to stay until the set leaving time and clock out the others, even though they had left earlier:eek:

The exact same questions were asked when photo ID was introduced.
  • CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative
    CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative Posts: 153 Organisation Representative
    chokolat2 wrote: »
    Hi.

Thank you.

Hi

We do not believe that use of biometrics by employers is covered by regulations as it would not appear to be 'monitoring at work' as defined by the two main Acts. We would suggest that you contact the Office of the Information Commissioner: www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    What 'data' are you concerned about? Your fingerprint is simply a binary code when scanned that identifies the employee and the time the scans are taken identify the date/time of the event, nothing more.

In use, however, you'll probably find it will fail within a few months and they will have to fall back on the RF tag option (because the scanner often malfunctions).

I wouldn't worry - the scan identifies you only as someone to be paid, and that's a comforting thought.
  • skivenov
    skivenov Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    From what I remember when we used these readers as a login device. They don't hold a full print image, and compare far less points than would be required to submit a fingerprint in court.
    Yes it's overwhelming, but what else can we do?
    Get jobs in offices and wake up for the morning commute?
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My daughter uses a biometric system to pay for her lunch at school. We've also used biometric systems in Florida for park entry, it doesn't worry me at all, what worries you about it ? What do you think anyone could do if they got hold of it ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure