Capital One Two Cards

Reading some threads about capital one it seems you can have two cards.

I have cap one platinum with a reasonable rate of 26.4% but only a £500 limit after 9 months of careful use. My credit is getting better and HSBC has upgraded my acc.

I used mse credit card guide and it said I was 100% for another cap one plat card 28.9 or classic with 34.9% but 4 months 0% on purchases so I went for that and got £1000 limit.

Reading some threads you might be able to merge the accounts but I assume I wont get the 26.4 on £1500?

The other card I have paid off is a marbles with £300 limit but its 54.9 so I have stopped using it and just have it for emergencies. I wouldn't advise people get a marbles card as a borrow £100 on it and they cranked the apr up from 34.9 to 54.

Comments

• If you pay the cards off in full each month you won't pay the horrendous interest rates ;)

Yes you can merge the 2 Cap1 cards - in either direction.

Just send them a secure message through the online portal, making it clear which card you want merged onto what, and which one to close
  • Ok so do you think they would merge my classic into my platnium card and keep the plat 26.4%?
  • Yes they should do

You will not keep any opening promo offers though (such as the 0% for 4 months)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Heya, it's definitely possible to merge them both. Did mine about a few weeks ago, a capital one and an Ocean card, and closed the latter. I did it over the phone. I'd say call up and do it, much easier and quicker, effective from the next day or two working days at the most.
  • surveyor_101
    surveyor_101 Posts: 189 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Might do as the classic is opening now and I am off on holiday sat.

Might be worth keeping the o5 for 4 months.

I have spending money set aside.
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have luma+cap one cards.
    I beleive they can be merged on request by telephone.
    I'm happy to continue with 2 cards.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2015 Zoe i nav -67-131 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • !!! wrote: »
    Yes they should do

You will not keep any opening promo offers though (such as the 0% for 4 months)
    Did they tell you that? I asked once (initally) and was told I'd keep the offer (and did), then never asked again just played the merry-go-round

I kept the opening offers multiple times - transferring in excess of £3,000 balance each time with the "I've got 2 cards and now actually only want to keep the new one".

My max limit (over 2 cards) was £4k, so when I had 4k on one it wouldn't let me open another. Dropped limit (via secure message) to £3,800 and next day I could open another card, £200 limit, 4 months 0%. Transferred the £3700.

Did that a few times, think I'm on my 7th card now (only got my first with them (post BR-first anyway!) in July 2016).

I ended up stuck at 34.9% for a while as the long (ha!) 0%s are Classic Complete (higher APR). Just been approved (finally) for another, Platinum (I think) which was 29 odd %. £200, but I'll merge them to make it £3,950 @ 29.9%... Got the PIN through today so it's actually held up this time.... wonder if latest threat of yet another FOS complaint forced their hand to stop playing silly *****

The balance is paid off - no interest at all as I kept switching it up... then put the actual funds in savings. I just want the high limit on an empty card to help with mortgage app in a few months, which is why I'm not carrying on with the 0% game!

I have recently had a few approved then declined... they say it's "extra checks", I ask how pre-approved can equal pre-approved subject to extra checks and what the checks are. They say ID & Fraud. It's clearly not ID (I owe them 4k) or Fraud (they know my income).

They won't budge and even sent a sarcy letter saying "that's what makes them unique". So I've gone to FOS out of principle. Finally got accepted for another one a few days ago..... hmmmmmmmm.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure