Airline Credit Cards Discussion Area

Comments

• 2ilent8cho
    2ilent8cho Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I applied for the premium BA Amex card Friday, but got the we need to do some further checks before we can give you a decision message , i doubt i am going to get it, I have defaults that are from 5.5 years ago, but everything else since then is green. At least its a maybe and not an instant decline. Anybody else managed to get this card who still has defaults showing on their credit file?

I've got 430,000 Avios saved up that i want to spend over the next 2 to 3 years visiting a few places in America (New York , Las Vegas) so thought this would top the balance up and i should spend enough to get a 2 for 1 voucher so i can hopefully do first class on both trips with the amount of points i will have by then.
  • GM1880
    GM1880 Posts: 169 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Yes,

Got a 4 year old settled default and go one with a £5700 limit having had to go through the manual checks.
  • 2ilent8cho
    2ilent8cho Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    GM1880 wrote: »
    Yes,

Got a 4 year old settled default and go one with a £5700 limit having had to go through the manual checks.

So there is hope for me yet then. Did you get an email after a few days saying you had been accepted or a letter? or was it just a case of the card appeared?
  • GM1880
    GM1880 Posts: 169 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    No, I called them a day after to ask what information they would like. Confirmed address and salary, then they confirmed I was accepted and the card arrived 48 hours later.
  • Karna7
    Karna7 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Hi

Apologies in advice if this post is wrong for this thread - let me know and will delete it and post it in separate threads if needed.

Having read the discussions with a great interest, I'm starting to learn as much as I can and earn air miles where possible. Forgive me if I sound a newbie which is true anyway! I wonder if you could please provide advice/direction which would be greatly appreciated...

I received my Amex Gold card a couple of weeks ago without any problem and managed to hit the target of £2k already. I have received the welcome points a couple of days ago which is great...

A couple of questions to help me moving forward -

Once I clear the balance which is due in July, I wonder whether I should keep it for a little longer e.g. a couple of months to keep AE sweet or just cancel it straightaway and wait till 6 months' time (Jan) to re apply?

Also, are there any other new cards I should get to earn more points either in parallel with my Amex Gold card (in this case, which cards would be allowed?) or none (if decided to cancel Amex Gold next month)?

To give you some background info, I travel 3/4 times a year to South Africa and Jamaica for my work which I normally use BA (Jamaica), Emirates/Virgin A (South Africa) so obviously I want to build up BA avios in order to try and get the upgrades (Business/First) for flights to Jamaica (my back's killing me in the economy cabin!!! ;-)) I fly solo most of the times but with friends/colleagues sometimes so not sure whether 241 companion voucher would be worth it for me?

Sorry for the lengthy post! Hope one of you lovely guys could provide me some good advice...appreciate it..

Thanks
  • knightfox
    knightfox Posts: 355 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    for all travel credit cards and how to manage points / avios most people in the UK look at the head for points web site
  • credit_crunch
    credit_crunch Posts: 1,421 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    hi everyone, just a quick question
    for any of the airline credit cards, does the card holder have to be one of the travellers when booking flights?

Or can the accumulated avios / virgin miles be transferred to a family member?

Thank you
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    For BA, you can set up a household account for all family members living at the same address. Any avios earned are allocated to each individual but also pooled. Anyone in the household account can book a flight, and the Avios are taken from each household member in the ratio in which they hold them.

For example. I have 160000 avios and my partner has 40000. Our household account has 200000. If my partner books a flight costing 100000 avios, 80000 will be taken from my account and 20000 from my partners.

If my partner had no personal avios, they could still book a flight and all the Avios would be taken from my balance.

Using the Avios site, you can currently use your avios to book a flight for anyone, but Avios accounts are closing and being replaced with BA Executive Club accounts.
  • credit_crunch
    credit_crunch Posts: 1,421 Forumite
    Nick_C wrote: »
    For BA, you can set up a household account for all family members living at the same address. Any avios earned are allocated to each individual but also pooled. Anyone in the household account can book a flight, and the Avios are taken from each household member in the ratio in which they hold them.

For example. I have 160000 avios and my partner has 40000. Our household account has 200000. If my partner books a flight costing 100000 avios, 80000 will be taken from my account and 20000 from my partners.

If my partner had no personal avios, they could still book a flight and all the Avios would be taken from my balance.

Using the Avios site, you can currently use your avios to book a flight for anyone, but Avios accounts are closing and being replaced with BA Executive Club accounts.

Thanks for all the info.
    To cut a long story short, both myself & my husband were declared bankrupt a number of years ago, so credit scores aren't great. Neither of us would get accepted for a reward credit card, so I was thinking if my mum or dad could get a reward card that my husband could use for business expenses, we would still be able to get the clubcard points / airmiles.

Will just have to sit tight for a while longer it seems!

Thanks again
  • newuser86
    newuser86 Posts: 312 Forumite
    Thanks for all the info.
    To cut a long story short, both myself & my husband were declared bankrupt a number of years ago, so credit scores aren't great. Neither of us would get accepted for a reward credit card, so I was thinking if my mum or dad could get a reward card that my husband could use for business expenses, we would still be able to get the clubcard points / airmiles.

Will just have to sit tight for a while longer it seems!

Thanks again

Your parents could take out a card and add your husband as a supplementary cardholder. Although the points will be in your parents name they can book flights for any person using them so the above is possible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure