Trying to avoid a near life experience

Comments

• Hi NorthernPeach

I'm in a similar boat to you and it is disheartening reading how much people are able to OP compared to yourself but don't let it put you off! Every penny counts and we're all working towards the same goal!

Looking forward to following your diary and cheering you along :D

When we food shop we go to more than one place to get the best deals and usually end up visiting 2/3 different supermarkets but it works out cheaper. We went from spending £200 a month to £140 max and that includes the weekly top up shopping for fruit/veg/milk/bread/pack up stuff. Ald! is a god send!!

Good luck and keep going :j
    Mortgage left: £105,427.32
    Savings: £5,000/£4,850
    OP Total 2019: £1,900
    OP Total 2020: £2,400
    OP Target 2021: £2,400/£0
    Emergency fund: £1,000/£1,550

Christmas pot: £360/£30
  • Hi NorthernPeach

I'm in a similar boat to you and it is disheartening reading how much people are able to OP compared to yourself but don't let it put you off! Every penny counts and we're all working towards the same goal!

Looking forward to following your diary and cheering you along :D

Thanks for popping by labradorlove, its good to know I'm not necessarily just rambling to myself and great to find people in a similar situation :D I find the big OP'ers inspiring but just frustrating for myself as I feel I cant commit fully to that life right now!

Definitely just need to think every little counts and even if we do have a low OP month the balance is still reducing anyway with the standard payment.

We also shop around for larger shopping trips and don't spend too much at that point, it is definitely the unorganisation or pizza temptation where we fall down and results in an expensive quick nip where you end up coming out with all the goodies. I used to be a massive A*di fan too but have swapped to lidl in recent times...I find their fruit and veg lasts a lot longer!

Will make sure to stop by your diary.....Happy Friday (Almost)! :T
    Emergency fund = £734.27 / £1000 :starmod:
  • Woke up to Storm Hector after a very vivid dream about being part of the suits cast (if only I had their salary). On a late start today but I really need to not just sit on my laptop all morning (like yesterday:undecided ).

I have a mental list of chores to do and really need to work on my progression portfolio for work - it's long overdue!! And maybe I'll get a pay rise eventually??

OH and I are going to give a bit of matched betting a go during the world cup in hopes to boost our income and I've been working away at surveys whilst watching TV in the evening - quite surprised how much I've earn't so quickly. Not sure at what point I'll cash out yet, it's nice to see the balance growing!
  • It feels like ages since I've posted but it's actually only been a week. I've had a lot on my mind over the past few weeks, we are experiencing some job uncertainty atm and it's made me realise how little back up funds we have for times like this. For the time being I think I'll be changing tack and working on building up the emergency fund / survival, we will be fine but its easy to get used to having 2 wages each month.

I've been working on trying to up my surveying for some extra pennies and hoping for some overtime at work soon to soften the blow.

OH parents up at the weekend which makes the budgeting harder as we tend to go out to eat etc but I've done my best to plan out the other meals until payday. I have gone over the £130 grocery budget I set myself for the month but considering last month came in at an eye-watering £400 I think something close to £200 is a massive improvement.
  • Kitty has developed a limp in her hind leg :( we are hoping its an infected bite (she's a little fighter and surrounded by tom cats) but she looks very sad hopping around on 3 legs! Hoping it's not a fracture and wishing i'd taken out pet insurance.....
  • Kitty is now well recovered but didn't appreciate staying inside for a week, she did have a puncture wound so she must have had a scrap with one of the other cats. A £200 vet bill and a shaved cat leg later ...... :eek:
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Kitty is now well recovered but didn't appreciate staying inside for a week, she did have a puncture wound so she must have had a scrap with one of the other cats. A £200 vet bill and a shaved cat leg later ...... :eek:

Poor Kitty! :o

We don't have pet insurance for our two fluff balls but we put £40 a month into an account for Cat-related emergencies. So far we've only had one emergency cat appointment (pulled tail injury!) but we were able to cover it from our normal accounts without any problem but it's good to know it's there and it's slowly building up in the background. May be worth a thought? :D
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Poor Kitty! :o

We don't have pet insurance for our two fluff balls but we put £40 a month into an account for Cat-related emergencies. So far we've only had one emergency cat appointment (pulled tail injury!) but we were able to cover it from our normal accounts without any problem but it's good to know it's there and it's slowly building up in the background. May be worth a thought? :D

Yes I was meaning to do the same ever since we adopted her but somehow never got round to it! Think I'll be aiming to put £20 a month away now in case of anymore mishaps *touch wood*. Bless, they do get up to no good sometimes but we love them all the same :D
  • Wow it's been a whole month since I posted last, there has been a big change for us over the last month with a change in job for my OH and a significantly reduced salary but we will get by.

As a result I have changed tack for the time being to work on building up a resilience / emergency fund however I was just having a little look on my mortgage spreadsheet this evening and realised we were only £13 and a couple of pence away from making a total of £1000 in OP's. I couldn't resist and sent it across to the mortgage......anyone else hit any mini milestones recently?
  • Day 1 of attempting to get up at 5am when OH goes to work ....07.30 :rotfl: will do better tomorrow!
    For anyone that thinks I'm mental, I have a very overdue progression portfolio for work which I could really do with finishing and I work best first thing in the morning....hence 5am! I have done some planning out of things to accomplish this week and what I need to do get them done. Plans for the rest of my morning include making a corn beef hash for dinner this evening and portioning up the blackberries from bramble picking to freeze.....work at 1pm!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport