Mortgage free by 33

Options
With 0 help from the bank of mom and dad I find myself about to be mortgage free by 33. myself and the hubby bought our house 5 years ago for 155K with 15% deposit, our mortgage payment is ~£650 and we overpay £1700 to £1900 a month. We went with first direct so we don't incur a penalty for overpayments beyond 10% and we anticipate we will be mortgage free in 2020 when I am 33.
I have recently been successful in securing a new job which will provide additional income of ~£1000 a month after taxes. Other than the house we have no debt and I was just wondering if it would be wise to use the extra money to pay off the house even sooner or if I should start thinking about long-term investment/ putting more into pension?

Thanks.

H.

Comments

• Moneyfordreams
    Moneyfordreams Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Don't know the best answer for that... however you have done amazingly well so for I would go with your gut. :T:T:T

Are you already in NHS pension? If I was in your position with a pension, I would continue what you have been doing, but without a pension, I would consider redirecting some to get a good start.

I'm in NHS pension, but with the new rules I'm 2 years too young to stay in the old pension and have been put in newer one much to my disgust. I will be choosing to add to other financial avenues when I have the mortgage under control
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • ConfusedNHSEmployee
    Options
    Thank you, I am unfortunately leaving the NHS pension on mid band 8a to start a new job with private for almost double the salary. I am on the 2015 scheme as well which isn't as good as the previous one albeit fairer.
  • Retter
    Retter Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You already have a pension pot and I assume that you will continue contributing with your new employer. If I were you I!!!8217;d hammer the mortgage and get rid of it. At 33 you will be plenty young enough to think about investments or even another property to achieve your future goals.
  • ConfusedNHSEmployee
    Options
    Yes i will have a new pension with the new job, though i would only contribute 8% compared to the 9.3% with the NHS but on a much higher salary.

I was looking at savings accounts and the best I can possibly get is 5% which feels like peanuts in the grand scheme of things but then there isn't a better alternative.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    You're looking at being mf in 2 years time anyway. I'd seriously consider whacking into a pension and getting tax relief, esp if you've gone into higher rate tax band.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • ConfusedNHSEmployee
    Options
    greent wrote: »
    You're looking at being mf in 2 years time anyway. I'd seriously consider whacking into a pension and getting tax relief, esp if you've gone into higher rate tax band.

I will be in the higher tax rate with circa 80K annual income. Would I need to do that in a private pension or contrbute more into the new job pension before tax deduction? Not sure what is possible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure