Title Deeds-a few questions

Options
2»

Comments

• ronnie_2
    ronnie_2 Posts: 385 Forumite
    Options
    Bev+4 wrote: »
    Hi, I wonder if anyone could help answer this for me. We are moving our mortgage from the halifax to Northern rock.. We have spoken to the Halifax and they say if we want our deeds we will have to pay £50 which I expected or if we don't they will be destroyed. We still have 18 years to pay. I asked if we will be able to get them at a later time and were told no this is a one only offer and they will be destroyed if we don't take them up on it now. They also said they will be electronically stored but when we asked about getting them at a later date we were told we would not be able to this is the last chance!! So we don't know what to do .We don't ever intend to move again. So do we pay £50 and have them (money is very tight) or do we not have them. My mother is saying we definitely need them it is very important but we are thinking £50 is a lot to us. I would appreciate any advise. Many thanks

If you are moving your mortgage from the Halifax over to the Northern Rock your solicitor should be requesting the deeds to your property prior to the remortgage going through.
    The £50 fee therefore should simply just be added to the existing mortgage balance that is taken over by the Northern Rock.

Due to dematerialisation your new lender will only want the Land Registry docements confirming that there charge is now 1st and there own style mortgage deed form. If your property is Leasehold then they will also want the lease document.

Anything else should be given back to you by your solicitor.
    Compo challange:Amount won £0 Need to win £240
  • Curv
    Curv Posts: 2,572 Forumite
    Options
    The Land Registry now holds electronic records of all registered land, effectively making the paper versions a nice keepsake. Personally, I'm not particularly sentimental and wouldn't pay money for the pleasure of having a piece of paper that says exactly what public record says, but I can understand that some people would like to.

Some lenders hand now over the paper 'deeds' at the start/during the term of the mortgage as storing them costs a fortune - in the old days, before the Registry was made electronic, they had to be securely stored in a fireproof, air conditioned, temperature controlled environment... not cheap. It's a bit cheeky of the lender to ask for money to hand them over, but then they'll try to make a buck out of anything ;)
    Things I wouldn't say to your face

Not my real name
  • Mary_Hartnell
    Options
    The Land Registry guarantees your land and title BUT there may be stuff in the bundle that could come in useful:
    Spare sets of plans of the land.
    Builders specifications of the house built on the land. ( perhaps you want to claim that 15% entitlement to extend without planning permission 10% on a terrace and lets not discuss listed buildings and conservation areas)
    Planning permission for that big extension you added ?
    Agreements over next doors drains that you have now built over.
    Guarantees for the new damp course - woodworm treatment - double glazing - cavity wall filling etc.
    Letters where you saw off the stupid neighbour who accused you of pinching a foot of their ground.
    Photos proving things about your property and its local rights.
    I would be careful about throwing away the above.
  • Bev+4
    Bev+4 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Just to say a big thankyou to all who have answered me. It has been really helpful.
  • nvaghani
    Options
    runmartin wrote: »
    I have just paid off my mortgage recently and received the deeds through the post a week ago (without extra charges). I have never seen the deeds before and was surprised that it was only a sheet of paper which I signed when I bought the house two years ago and witnessed by the solicitor (it has deeds written at the top). There were also some papers which were dated around the time we bought the house which said the house was registered in my name at the land registry.

My mortgage was with the Woolwich and there was nothing to say the Woolwich have no longer a charge over the property. I do not seem to have any paperwork to say the house is now mine, i.e. the Woolwich has not confirmed that I do not owe them any money even though they have sent me some papers from 1995 when I bought the house and have put £28 back into my account which I had overpaid (that was over a week ago).

Does anyone know whether this seems right.

Also I was charged an exit fee of £270 when my contract says £195. I have spoken to the Woolwich and they said it would be refunded in a few days (that was weeks ago).

Thanks
    Martin

Hi,

I have also just completed paying remaining mortgage. A cost of £65 was taken to release the deeds after charge entries were amended.

Today i received Special Delivery from Barclays\Woolwich with only mortgage deeds schedule which is not updated and old land reg certs. Having checked the land reg online i can see the charge has been removed and updated. I have phones them several times and they will not budge stating all docs have been sent and they hold no other paper work.

After annoying them they have now decided to make an enquiry with the deeds holding place to check if they have them stored away.

Once they have been received the deed should also confirm the lender has been paid and mortgage settled, also at this point a seperate letter from the lender should also confirm.

Thanks,

Naresh
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I inherited a property that had a Woolwich mortgage paid off shortly before I inherited it, this was 7 years ago. The property is now in my name and I have a copy of the title register, a copy of the one sent to my solicitor by Land Registry and a copy I purchased myself online. On both copies it lists me as the owner but it still says Woolwich/Barclays have a charge on it dated when the mortgage was originally taken out in the 1980s.

How do I get Woolwich/Barclays to remove the obsolete charge and send the original deeds back?

I've never had any correspondence from Woolwich/Barclays.
  • Cate2202
    Options
    Did your unknown charge from Woolwich/Barclays ever get sorted?

Cate
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Cate2202 wrote: »
    Did your unknown charge from Woolwich/Barclays ever get sorted?

Cate

Nope, far as I'm aware it is still there. Not sure about how to go about it other than writing to Barclays. It should have been something the solicitor should have sorted out when the property was put into my (and my sister's) names.
  • Gez112
    Gez112 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I got talked into signing my house by my daughter and granddaughter four years ago. Last year I decided I wanted to move,downsize and have money left over for myself. In got a buyer but my daughter stopped it and said I couldn't sell my house as she didn't want me having the left over money 17,000. She has decide she doesn't want anything to do with me now..at the time of signing over the solicitor didn't tell me anything, I was under the impression I'd still be able to do what I wanted with my house what I bought and paid for. I just need to know can I get my home back,she will not sign back to me and I think her soliciter was in someway negligent as he offered me no advice I basically went in,signed and that was it it took less than five mins. Can you help I'm 81 and this is making me poorly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure