Debt relief help please

So I’m currently in the process of applying for a DRO, I’ve spoken to step change & they sent me out some forms To sign and send back to them so my application hasn’t actually been processed yet but today I recieved a cheque From Lloyd’s for £1126.34 for a refund of charges they shouldn’t of taken from September 2013 - March 2015. Now I’m wondering how this will affect my application my debts are around 16000, if I declare it will I have to put it towards debts? Or if I didn’t declare it would it get found out? ( please don’t judge I have 2 kids & this could go towards some much needed work in our home) if I put my application on hold and offered a token payment for a few months & then re applied for my DRO would that be allowed? Has anyone had anything happen similar? Or any advice on what will happen? Thank you.

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,834 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 26 April 2018 at 9:00PM
    Your not in the DRO yet, so you do not have to declare it to anyone, nor are you yet bound by its terms.

It would be different if you were, but your not.

You are allowed £1000 of assets anyway, go spend money on your kids and house and crack on with the DRO.

Saying that, your not a homeowner are you ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Thank you for the reply, no im not a homeowner but i live in a house owned by my dad so its kind of mine but not legally so any work,decorating ect is down to me.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,834 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Lucie1994 wrote: »
    Thank you for the reply, no im not a homeowner but i live in a house owned by my dad so its kind of mine but not legally so any work,decorating ect is down to me.

Oh good, that’s ok then.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    edited 27 April 2018 at 4:14PM
    That lump sum may not have been fatal to the DRO if you received it while in the DRO (the rules have some flexibility)) but at present it will stop your application being made as there is an asset limit of £1000. (cars have their own separate asset limit). If the £1126 is your only asset and you do not have savings or a collection of antique jewellery that you are declaring then once you pay your £90 you are only £36 over the limit and I expect the next time you go shopping that will disappear.

Edit: Don't waste your time with token payments but in the run-up to a DRO you should be treating creditors equally and, in my book, the best way to do that is to pay them all nothing.
  • Thank you for replying, so say if i did spend some would anyone question what it was spent on? Or where its gone? & i havent been paying any creditors anything, how long is it roughly before they pass my debts on to a debt collection agency do you know?
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Debt Collection Agencies are nothing to worry about - you just get letters from a different place. Sounds like you are in the very early stages if you haven't had any yet.

You still have lots of things to spend on - tv licence, food, clothes, travel costs, your phone, haircuts. None of these are going in the DRO and you only need to get below £1000 and your £90 has to come from somewhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure