Claims management company (CMC) complaints - ask the ombudsman your question

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,040
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Carliannie wrote: »
    Hi. I was notified in November that i would be receiving a Plevin payment from Capital One. The problem I have is that they sent the cheque to the CMC who are Family Money Savers Limited. They now want a fee for completing an assessment that I never authorized in any way. The original PPI claim was made and rejected around 6 years ago. Any info would be greatly appreciated before I phone them.

They have no entitlement to the fee as their service was deemed over 6 years ago. The only caveat would be if 6 years ago they told you they were trying another option and the service was continuing. In reality, that would not have been the case as it is long before the Plevin ruling.

You should make a complaint to them about holding onto your funds with no agreement in place. If the complaint fails, then refer it to the legal ombudsman.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • dunstonh wrote: »
    They have no entitlement to the fee as their service was deemed over 6 years ago. The only caveat would be if 6 years ago they told you they were trying another option and the service was continuing. In reality, that would not have been the case as it is long before the Plevin ruling.

You should make a complaint to them about holding onto your funds with no agreement in place. If the complaint fails, then refer it to the legal ombudsman.

Thanks for the reply. I actually received the cheque today from them along with their request for their service charge. Do you recommend that i contact them and tell them that I won't be complying with their request for payment and take it from there? Thanks again. :beer:
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,040
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Carliannie wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I actually received the cheque today from them along with their request for their service charge. Do you recommend that i contact them and tell them that I won't be complying with their request for payment and take it from there? Thanks again. :beer:

Instruct them that you will not be paying as their service ended when the complaint was rejected. The plevin payout is a new thing that is unrelated to their original complaint submitted and you havent entered into a new agreement with them.

Also state that any attempt to pursue the fee will result in you making a formal complaint and going to the ombudsman if necessary.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • dunstonh wrote: »
    Instruct them that you will not be paying as their service ended when the complaint was rejected. The plevin payout is a new thing that is unrelated to their original complaint submitted and you havent entered into a new agreement with them.

Also state that any attempt to pursue the fee will result in you making a formal complaint and going to the ombudsman if necessary.

Thank you so much for help and advice. It's gratefully appreciated.
  • Legal_Ombudsman
    Legal_Ombudsman Posts: 79 Organisation Representative
    Hi Carliannie,

We would be happy to talk to you about your situation. Please feel free to contact us on 0300 555 0333, and select option 1.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official organisation representative of the Legal Ombudsman service. MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"
  • Hi Carliannie,

We would be happy to talk to you about your situation. Please feel free to contact us on 0300 555 0333, and select option 1.

Thanks for the reply. I will try to phone tonight after work. I have yet to contact the CMC.
  • I am also being pressured into claims against companies that I have told them I definitely didn't have PPI from.
  • Hi wonder if somebody can help if a claims management company 'The claims People, who has ceased trading/Authorisation Surrendered back in march 2017 and you are still paying them back their fees in monthly installments . Can they sale the debt to debt managment company in sept 2017
  • Legal_Ombudsman
    I am also being pressured into claims against companies that I have told them I definitely didn't have PPI from.

We'd be happy to discuss this with you to see if we can help in any way - call us on 0300 555 0333
    I am the official organisation representative of the Legal Ombudsman service. MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"
  • Legal_Ombudsman
    Hi wonder if somebody can help if a claims management company 'The claims People, who has ceased trading/Authorisation Surrendered back in march 2017 and you are still paying them back their fees in monthly installments . Can they sale the debt to debt managment company in sept 2017

Hi andyandclaire,

We'd need a little more information about this to be able to help you. Please give us a call and we can discuss it in more detail - 0300 555 0333.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure