Should I sign up for Cont. JSA?

Comments

• Getting_By_2
    Getting_By_2 Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 January 2018 at 11:23PM
    Whilst I appreciate different levels of responsiblilities are at play here for you, I believe when you are newly unemployed you get to set your preferred job type and I don't believe all this the job centre force anyone to apply for 'unsuitable jobs' if it wasn't for their own making - The problem TODAY is the employers won't wait for you - even national minimum wage payers!!!

I know someone who managed to get and start two jobs in last 5 weeks.

Every day sat at home is just de-skilling and upping serious questions being asked. Until you'll eventually post here as the long term unemployed feeling sorry for yourself. So many ways to work around the educational life you now seek and keep wages coming in - part time work? Evening and weekend work? Temporary intermittent work even? - The ideal position when still with parents I'd have thought to get even more money behind you.

Impeccable out dated references won't save anybody. You need an active CV to survive.

Thank you for your sound and reasoned reply, unlike some on hear that are skewed to a certain world view.

I understand what you are saying about skills, CV's, a gap in your career history etc. I fully take that on board. It is an issue and it is a bit of a worry but it is just something I am going to have to deal when the time comes. A part time job could be a possibility but I would not have quit my rubbish job only to replace with another rubbish job but less hours. That was not the point of quitting. I just needed some space and time. I don't think that is too much to ask after working FT for the last 15 years (it seems heresy to some people though!).

I don't just intend to sit in the library for ever I also intend to travel around Europe! Broaden my horizons and see different cultures! I think that could count for something on a CV. Speaking another language or two could definitely count for something on a CV also.

I understand your points but the die has been cast. I walked away from my job and it feels right. I made the right decision. I'm glad that I can wake up, not be stressed, learn, read whatever book I like and look at the world, look at nature and take it all in. Lovely. It seems crazy why some people don't get that.

As for my future employability because of this career gap? I'll have to hope I come across an open minded employer that hasn't got a row of pixel medals on a certain money forum :whistle: (ahem I don't mean you BTW :))
  • Stylehutz
    Stylehutz Posts: 351 Forumite
    Once again this job seeking thread like many is taken over by the right wing Daily Mail readers brigade. The OP asked a basic question and instead got a sarcastic reply. There are better forums out there for people wanting to ask employment query Questions and this isnt one of them.. People used to get helpful advice but not any more. Would like to see mse close down this section of the board for a period of 6 months to see if it improves.
  • Energize
    Energize Posts: 509 Forumite
    Stylehutz wrote: »
    Once again this job seeking thread like many is taken over by the right wing Daily Mail readers brigade. The OP asked a basic question and instead got a sarcastic reply. There are better forums out there for people wanting to ask employment query Questions and this isnt one of them.. People used to get helpful advice but not any more. Would like to see mse close down this section of the board for a period of 6 months to see if it improves.

The first reply answered the OP's question succinctly. Yes you need to be looking for work, handwriting and french aren't going to help find a job, factual and accurate. The OP then made a very abusive post in response which the mods deleted.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    So you are in favor of abusive posts that include threats and a wish that someone should die??? And it's funny how you and the poster have a lot in common. An alter ego perhaps?

If you don't like the board, perhaps you should stop visiting it and go to one of the better forums. Try it out for 6 months, as I'm sure it will improve things here....
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Getting_By wrote: »
    I walked away from my job and it feels right. )

In which case you might face a 'benefit sanction' and so not receive any JSA in any case... You would need to produce an acceptable reason for leaving your previous job. Even if sanctioned, you would still benefit from NI credits and som other support.

I would urge you to sign on in any case. You would then be included in the national unemployment figures and so help to give our policy-makers a more accurate picture of the economy; and would benefit from credits of National Insurance contributions that will eventually count towards your state pension. You will also be referred to an expert employment adviser able to discuss how your programme of self-development relates to the labour market and to suggest helpful resources (including support for learning French).

Incidentally, there are a number of jobs (Civil Service for instance) where recent experience of learning something new is an important selection criterion, so your work on learning French could be an important career move.

In sum: in order to claim JSA you need to present a plan for finding your next job and to sign a "job-seeker's agreement" that you will implement this plan. Your plan will need to include some efforts to look for advertised jobs and contact employers, and probably at least one application per week, but can also include important elements of self-development and marketing.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Oh did someone wish me death? - that's nice. Thanks :)
  • Stylehutz
    sangie595 wrote: »
    So you are in favor of abusive posts that include threats and a wish that someone should die??? And it's funny how you and the poster have a lot in common. An alter ego perhaps?

If you don't like the board, perhaps you should stop visiting it and go to one of the better forums. Try it out for 6 months, as I'm sure it will improve things here....

I regret i didn't see the abusive Post. However the sarcastic first reply about should i commit benefit fraud, speaks volumes of the so called unhelpful replies that have been dominating this section of the board over the past 12 months. Note to people with an employment query, put in on another forum and Post on there?
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I regret i didn't see the abusive Post. However the sarcastic first reply about should i commit benefit fraud, speaks volumes of the so called unhelpful replies that have been dominating this section of the board over the past 12 months. Note to people with an employment query, put in on another forum and Post on there?

Can I just clarify- the OP said ‘can I put the least amount of effort in and then get signed iff’ A clear indication they have no intention of starting work. That is fraud.

It’s not judgemental on the OP except based upon what they said themselves.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Can I just clarify- the OP said ‘can I put the least amount of effort in and then get signed iff’ A clear indication they have no intention of starting work. That is fraud.

No judgement - you responded to exactly what the OP said - that they had no intention of job seeking. It certainly is fraud. And likely to get them into a lot more trouble. If they wanted to improve their handwriting and learn French then they are able to do so by supporting themselves. The remaining diatribes by the OP very much speak to their intention to claim benefits but not look for work. It is totally irrelevant whether some people here think that everyone should be able to claim benefits when they want to. Those aren't the rules. And it would be irresponsible to suggest otherwise.
  • Stylehutz
    Comms69 wrote: »

My left wing political views obviously not popular with the many Daily Mail readers brigade on here, believe that if you have been paying into the system for a number of years then everyone should be able to claim 6 months JSA hassle free. I don't feel you should be forced to jump through hoops to get £71.00 a week. You should pay your NI contributions for insurance against unemployment as well as going towards your pension. Why attack them over concerns about benefit fraud? Is it a money issue your worried about because more money is paid to claimants from admin errors on overpayment, never recovered by the way, then claimed committing benefit fraud.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure