Should I sign up for Cont. JSA?

Hi.

Just wondering whether it's worth signing up for contribution based JSA? I have enough NI contributions to cover it. I've been out of work for 2 months now.

The thing is at the moment I would just rather sharpen up my skills and do some studying. At the moment my usual week day is being spent in the library learning French and reading. I am also trying to improve my handwriting as it's pretty shocking. I am also doing online courses. So really at the moment I'm happy with my daily routine and taking time out from the job market. I have savings and I am living with a parent so rent is low.

If I sign onto Cont. JSA are they straight onto you to find a job? I remember people saying that they only really put the heat on you after 6 months, but this was a few years ago when I heard that. Is that the case? I have never signed on before.

So what I am wondering is could I sign on and put the least amount of effort into finding a job and then signed off when the 6 months of Cont. JSA finishes? Or would I get hassled?

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you claim JSA, you must be actively seeking work. So yes applying from day one.

Handwriting is really, really, not important.

What you're asking is either:
    1: can I commit benefit fraud
    or
    2: can I do exactly what the job centre ask of me

to be honest it sounds like a mixture of the two.

I will add that, unless you teach French, it's unlikely that learning French will help you land a job. In fact the longer you are out of work, the harder it will be to return.
  • Why?

His reply was uncalled for.

He is a narrow minded individual that is probably jealous someone has interests and options and is not as miserable as he is.

I should have known better than posting on this site as it is just full of Me Me Me individuals who don't see anything past money.

So there.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Getting_By wrote: »
    Why?

His reply was uncalled for.

He is a narrow minded individual that is probably jealous someone has interests and options and is not as miserable as he is.

I should have known better than posting on this site as it is just full of Me Me Me individuals who don't see anything past money.

So there.
    The reply was accurate. If you want JSA then you job seek - the hint is in the name. If you want to prat about "bettering yourself" with infant school French and calligraphy, pay for it yourself. And feel free to get the hell out of the country infested by people who pay for the benefits you want to claim. But you do not tell posters to "die". You are a pathetic troll and don't get the right to lecture other people about conduct.
  • Haha OMG not only was his original answer loaded with right wing garbage you lot come along and put the cherry on top. This country has gone so far down the rabbit hole it is unrecognisable.

Thanks for your posts guys you've been really enlightening. It's just confirmed that I am on the right path and given me even more motivation to work harder towards something better and preferably away from Daily Fail Brexit sewer called England.

Cheerio.
  • Energize
    Energize Posts: 509 Forumite
    I'm speechless...
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I'm getting a sense of deja vu from the posting style and instant throwing of toys from pram.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 8 January 2018 at 10:37PM
    Getting_By wrote: »
    Hi.

Just wondering whether it's worth signing up for contribution based JSA? I have enough NI contributions to cover it. I've been out of work for 2 months now.

The thing is at the moment I would just rather sharpen up my skills and do some studying. At the moment my usual week day is being spent in the library learning French and reading. I am also trying to improve my handwriting as it's pretty shocking. I am also doing online courses. So really at the moment I'm happy with my daily routine and taking time out from the job market. I have savings and I am living with a parent so rent is low.

If I sign onto Cont. JSA are they straight onto you to find a job? I remember people saying that they only really put the heat on you after 6 months, but this was a few years ago when I heard that. Is that the case? I have never signed on before.

So what I am wondering is could I sign on and put the least amount of effort into finding a job and then signed off when the 6 months of Cont. JSA finishes? Or would I get hassled?

Whilst I appreciate different levels of responsiblilities are at play here for you, I believe when you are newly unemployed you get to set your preferred job type and I don't believe all this the job centre force anyone to apply for 'unsuitable jobs' if it wasn't for their own making - The problem TODAY is the employers won't wait for you - even national minimum wage payers!!!

I know someone who managed to get and start two jobs in last 5 weeks.

Every day sat at home is just de-skilling and upping serious questions being asked. Until you'll eventually post here as the long term unemployed feeling sorry for yourself. So many ways to work around the educational life you now seek and keep wages coming in - part time work? Evening and weekend work? Temporary intermittent work even? - The ideal position when still with parents I'd have thought to get even more money behind you.

Impeccable out dated references won't save anybody. You need an active CV to survive.
  • sangie595
    Energize wrote: »
    I'm speechless...
    Look on the bright side.... As a well paid professional with two postgraduate degrees, who speaks French fluently and German passably well; has wonderful handwriting, doesn't need to go to the library because I have more books at home, and holds an Irish passport so isn't the slightest bit worried about the voting habits of others... it's the first time in 60 years and five months that I've been described as right wing. And I'm only 60 years and four months old. But then, I don't need a bunch of other people to pay for me to learn new hobbies either.
  • sangie595 wrote: »
    The reply was accurate. If you want JSA then you job seek - the hint is in the name. If you want to prat about "bettering yourself" with infant school French and calligraphy, pay for it yourself. And feel free to get the hell out of the country infested by people who pay for the benefits you want to claim. But you do not tell posters to "die". You are a pathetic troll and don't get the right to lecture other people about conduct.

Excuse-moi! If you must know I have contributed more than enough to the national pot thank you very much not like it is any of your business.

Also, that didn't give him the right to poo poo my entire post just because he is a Daily Mail reader, unhappy and can't see past £ signs (a bit like you really). It seems to me as soon as anyone mentions benefits it seems to give small minded idiots the right to get on their high horses and feel oh so superior.

So to wrap up thanks for all your comments because you have changed my mind on something. I wasn't going to claim my JSA but now I'm feeling like I most definitely will and when I get my first payment I will sure to let you know so you can start another round of apoplectic pulpit lecturing moralising and you can ring up the DM and say " OMG SHOCK HORROR SOMEONE WHO IS ON JSA MIGHT NOT GET A JOB WITHIN THE FIRST 6 MONTHS OMG!! SHOCK SHOCK!! STONE THEM KILL THEM!!"

I will look forward to that.

Bye.
  • sangie595
    You keep saying goodbye. So leave already...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure