PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cereal Bars

Options
Does anyone have any receipes for healthy cereal type bars? Every time I try to make them they end up crumbling.

I buy Alpen Light bars to have for my breaks at work but its like eating fresh air! I would rather persevere and do my own but I never seem to have any success.

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I don’t have a “recipe” as such....but my flapjacks made with dates (rather than golden syrup), chopped almonds and orange peel are delicious. They can’t be described as being “light”, but they are certainly more-ish.

Dates certainly harden the mixture when heat is applied.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,692 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have posted this before. I cannot recommend these enough. I vary them each week, I buy different fruit nuts and seeds, sometimes I use coconut flour, sometimes I use honey instead of golden syrup.

https://www.thriftylesley.com/gorgeous-granary-breakfast-bars-24p/

Nigella also does a bar that is made with a tin of condensed milk.
  • Citygirl1
    Citygirl1 Posts: 932 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I love dates and the other bars look yummy too. Can I just ask regarding the sugar and golden syrup in the receipe, does this make the bars less healthy? My friend makes some with golden syrup and butter and she says per bar it doesn't work out that much. I love golden syrup but I am trying to be a bit healthier. However, I don't want bars that are dry and flat tasting either.
  • JIL
    edited 6 January 2018 at 1:08AM
    Options
    I don't think the bars will stick without the butter and golden syrup, however I have accidentally left out the sugar and didn't notice too much.

The granola bars are very filling. I have halved the recipe and made them in a lined loaf tin and cut them into six. That cuts back the calories. I am a big believer in everything in moderation. I always put seeds in them so I convince myself there is something good for me in them.

Here's the nigella recipe no sugar or fat, I found these to be more brittle. However my son used to make these for triathlon club where he also added protein powder and they were very popular
    https://www.nigella.com/recipes/breakfast-bars
  • Citygirl1
    Citygirl1 Posts: 932 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I like the bars as they are easier to carry to work. I agree that everything in moderation should be OK. I have two bars a day, one for morning break and one for afternoon break, I don't suppose that's overdoing it really. I did make some once with banana rather than golden syrup but they just didn't taste as good, even though they did stick together more.
  • JIL
    Options
    Citygirl1 wrote: »
    I like the bars as they are easier to carry to work. I agree that everything in moderation should be OK. I have two bars a day, one for morning break and one for afternoon break, I don't suppose that's overdoing it really. I did make some once with banana rather than golden syrup but they just didn't taste as good, even though they did stick together more.

My apologies I edited my post to add a link in for the nigella bars.

Hope you find something you like, I find that by making my own I can put in the things I like, sometimes if I'm feeling particularly extravagant I melt a bar of plain chocolate on them as they come out of the oven.
  • Katieowl
    Katieowl Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Banana oatie things

Six bananas - mashed (can use frozen bananas defrosted)
    150 ml sunflower oil
    350g oats
    400g seeds, fruit, nuts ( I usually start with a base of about 200g sultanas. Add what you like chopped dates, snipped apricots, cranberries, whole or chopped nuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seed etc)

Form into about 18 patties (I use a heaped tablespoon to form 'quenelles' but whatever you can is fine) place on baking paper lined sheet , they won't spread, give them around 20mins at 170 until they are golden and toasted. Very sustaining, no added sugar! Cooked oatie things will freeze perfectly, so although you can half recipe if you want, they are handy to have in freezer.

I'm pretty sure this would cook as a sheet too if you wanted a more conventional bar. You could add stuff like cinnamon or choc chips too.
  • JIL
    Options
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business